skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Sollertis
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Spire House
  • Total Teamwear
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Tiger Turf

Pitching In Southern League 

Division 1 Central


Hadley FC  1 - 0  Cirencester Town 


Match report by Dave Pyzer



After four successive home matches Cirencester made the two-hour plus journey across the country to take on The Bricks of Hadley and, following the euphoria of last week’s superb performance and result against play-off rivals Waltham Abbey, The Centurions were brought back to earth by a hard-working Hadley side that, despite its lowly league position, produced a determined performance to secure victory.



In terms of league positions and current form prior to the match – Hadley FC sat in 17th place in the league table with 22 points from 20 games played, whilst Cirencester were in 4th place with 35 points from 22 games played.

Examination of current form reveals that both sides have secured 10 points from their last 6 games, and based on the ‘6-Match Form Guide’ table, Hadley sat in 4th place and Cirencester 3rd place.


Last season this fixture resulted in a 1-0 victory for Hadley whilst the reverse fixture early in November was a 3-0 victory for Cirencester.


Starting Eleven – Cirencester made one change to last week’s starting eleven against Waltham Abbey as Harry Burns was unavailable and as a result Willem Pooley stepped up from the bench. 

The bench included Charlie Johnson (as he continues his recovery from injury) and Charlie McCrae alongside Luca Robinson, Josh Seller and James Mortimer-Jones.



The visitors kicked-off proceedings on a dry day and immediately attacked down their left flank as Willem Pooley worked the ball to Jonny Dennis who made a positive run to the corner. 

The home response came about as a free kick near half-way, left channel, was delivered by Adam Hastings towards their right corner where Finley Aldridge attacked Jordan Morris who denied him progress to secure a throw-in. 

A couple of minutes later Jordan Edwards embarked on a run down the left channel before supplying Aldridge, right channel front edge of the Cirencester box, who fired wide of the far-left post as custodian Stuart Nelson advanced. 

Cirencester immediately replied as Reegan Messenger clipped the ball over the centre circle towards the left channel of the home box for Ben Whitehead to collect and shoot – deflected by ‘keeper Luke Ward and cleared down their left flank. 

Nick Peare collected the ball near half-way, left flank and started another attack to the left corner as Dennis and Morris combined for the former to reach the corner where progress ended and a counter attack from the hosts resulted in a corner kick. The kick was delivered to the back post by Cameron Ferguson and collected by Alvin Kyeremeh and after two shots were blocked by Nick Peare a third effort yielded another corner kick that Nelson caught. 

A few minutes later Edwards reached the right by-line to pull the ball back towards Luke Alfano who volleyed wide of the right post. 

Once again Cirencester replied as Pooley released Dennis to reach the left front corner of the home box but seeing his path blocked, he laid it back to Morris who changed the point of attack to the right flank for Felix Miles to reach the corner and cross – defended and cleared for a counter attack down the Hadley right flank. 

It had been a frantic opening quarter and it became symptomatic of a ‘scrappy’ match as neither side was allowed time on the ball - with lots of hurried passes and the occasional glimpse of passing football. 

Shortly after the 30-minute mark Ferguson delivered a free kick from the right channel, 25-yards out, to the far-left post where Alfano arrived to send a firm header back across the goal but wide of the right post. 

Five minutes later Hadley produced the move of the match so far as Bradley Marriott slipped the ball down the left channel to Isaac Stones, inside to Edwards, back for Alfano to supply Aldridge as he broke into the right channel of the visitor’s box to volley into the side-netting. 

A few minutes later Cirencester replied as they worked their way to the right corner for Miles to deliver a cross to the far-left post where Dennis struck a firm volley from 15 yards out at the target – caught by Ward. 

Moment before the interval Nick Peare won the ball and released Miles for another run to the right corner – eventually resulting in a corner kick that was recycled back to Miles and this time his cross was met by the head of an incoming Nick Peare but it cleared the home cross-bar. 

Half Time:   0-0  

After the break the home side restarted the contest and almost immediately Morris and Whitehead combined for the latter to get past two challenges to supply Dennis who had his shot from the right channel of the home box blocked by Ward to be recycled back to the right flank for Miles to deliver a free kick into the ‘mix’ where Nick Peare, around the Penalty Spot, headed wide of the left post. 

Back came Cirencester as Nick Peare supplied brother George who in turn sent it towards Dennis, approaching the right front corner of the home box, but Marriott had spotted the danger and came across to concede a throw-in. 

It had been a positive start from Cirencester but around the hour mark a simple move from Hadley as a goal-kick was headed-on required Will Christopher to come across to clear the danger and from the resulting throw-in Ferguson delivered the ball from the right corner towards the Penalty Spot where Edwards arrived to head into the grateful arms of Nelson. 

This turned out to be a practice run as five minutes later Hadley mounted an attack down their right flank – Alfano to Aldridge, on to Kyeremeh and a cross into the box where Nick Peare delayed progress as he won the ball and cleared it out of the box but it was soon recycled back to Kyeremeh who delivered a cross towards the front edge of the 6-yard box where JORDAN EDWARDS arrived unchallenged to plant a firm header into the net to break the deadlock.  1-0. 

Immediately from the re-start Aldridge robbed Morris of the ball to burst forward to the edge of the Cirencester box but his resulting cross was too long – goal kick. 

The goal had clearly encouraged Hadley and they pressed forward with more conviction with Edwards slicing his shot wide following some neat build-up play at the 75-minute mark. 

A couple of minutes later Cirencester worked the ball to their right corner to earn a corner kick that was defended at the near post and recycled to the left corner, but lost for Hadley to mount a counter attack to their right corner where Zacharius Uribarri cut inside to have his  left footed shot deflected for a corner kick that Bodac Ebengo headed over the target. 

When Hadley pressed again a couple of minutes later the visitors cleared the ball to Miles who embarked on a strong run down the left channel but his progress was brought to a halt by a cynical foul from Marriott – earning him a Yellow Card. The resulting free kick to the far-right post was headed back across goal by Jake Lee but the threat ended in the left corner when a foul was committed. 

As the game entered the final five scheduled minutes Uribarri received the ball near the right channel front edge of the visitor’s box and struck a firm shot towards the far-left post that required Nelson to dive and push wide for a corner kick that was eventually fired wide. 

As the 90-minute mark loomed Uribarri crossed the ball to the left post where Alfano produced some intricate footwork as he feinted to shoot a couple of times before his resulting shot was diverted by Nelson for a corner kick that the ‘keeper caught. 

There was still time for Cirencester and when Charlie Johnson clipped the ball into the left channel of the home box for Whitehead to collect, he was adjudged to be ‘offside’. 

On the stroke of full-time Messenger won the ball and released Charlie McCrae to the left corner but his low cross was cleared and the final whistle blown – it was all over. 

Full Time:   1-0 

Hadley were deserving of their win as they showed more desire on the day and restricted Cirencester with a hard-working performance. 

It was just not Cirencester’s day.



Attendance:     155                           Referee:       ??? 



Hadley F.C.:

   1.     Luke Ward
   2.     Alvin Kyeremeh  
   3.     Adam Hastings
   4.     Bradley Marriott
   5.     Germaine Dua
   6.     Stefan Powell     
   7.     Finley Aldridge
   8.     Cameron Ferguson
   9.     Isaac Stones
  10.    Jordan Edwards                                     67
  11.     Luke Alfano     © 

  12.     Mohammed Dabo
  14.     Bodac Ebengo                         (Germaine Dua-50mins)
  15.     Zacharius Uribarri                    (Finley Aldridge-71mins)
  16.     Recoe Martin
  17.     Billy Hayes


Cirencester Town:  

    1.     Stuart Nelson
    2.     Will Christopher
    3.     Jordan Morris
    4.     Reegan Messenger
    5.     Jake Lee     ©
    6.     Nick Peare
    7.     Felix Miles
    8.     Willem Pooley
    9.     George Peare
   10.    Ben Whitehead
   11.     John Dennis 

   12.     Luca Robinson                          (George Peare-71mins)             
   14.     Charlie McCrae                        (John Dennis-80mins)                          
   15.     Charlie Johnson                       (Jordan Morris-80mins)
   16.     Josh Seller
   17.     James Mortimer-Jones

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2024