skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • SpecSavers
  • Exceed Personal Training
  • Spire House
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Sollertis
  • Total Teamwear
  • Tiger Turf
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Mainstream digital
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental

GFA Senior Challenge Cup 

Quarter Final


Bishops Cleeve  2 - 1  Cirencester Town 



Click photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Match photos supplied by Graham Hill


Match report by Dave Pyzer



A youthful looking Cirencester made the short journey across the County for this GFA Senior Challenge Cup - Quarter Final fixture to face near-neighbours and former rivals Bishops Cleeve and after a goal-less first half finally succumbed late in the second period.


In terms of league positions and current form prior to the match – Bishops Cleeve sat in 9th place in the Southern League – Division 1 South table with 20 points from 14 games played whilst Cirencester were in 4th place with 25 points from 16 games played in Division 1 Central. Based on current form the two sides are fairly evenly matched as Bishops Cleeve have secured 7 points from their last 6 games and Cirencester 9 points which places them, based on the ‘6-Match Form Guide’ table, in 10th and 8th places respectively. 

The two sides last met in July at The Corinium Stadium in the Severn Sport Shield when Cirencester won 3-0.


Starting Eleven – As indicated in the opening sentence Cirencester fielded a young side, in that seven of the starting eleven were 20 years old or younger at the beginning of the season, due to unavailability due to work or holiday and injuries. 

Captain (and former Bishops Cleeve player) Jake Lee (holiday), Aidan Bennett and Joe Turley (work), Charlie Johnson and Jonny Dennis (injured). 

This provided the opportunity for Manager John Brough to give the young players a chance to impress and as a result 18-year-old Ronnie Newberry took over from the experienced Stuart Nelson between the sticks and Ollie Stevenson was let loose up front. There was also the welcome sight of Jordan Morris on the bench - returning after a 7-month absence due to the long-term injury he sustained towards the end of last season.



Cirencester kicked-off on a cold evening and were immediately tested by their hosts as Ethan Dunbar reached the left byline, and shortly afterwards he was released by Blaine Waugh to the right corner where his cross was blocked - but yielded a corner kick that Nick Peare cleared from the visitors 6-yard box to Charlie McCrae who laid it down the line for Ollie Stevenson to collect on half-way before darting down the wing to the left front corner of the home box – his resulting cross was successfully defended. 

A couple of minutes later Harry Burns produced some clever footwork on the left touchline to retain the ball before slipping it inside to Peare who embarked on a charging run down the centre before moving it on to Felix Miles, and out to Luca Robinson who carried it to the right corner where his cross was blocked and resulted in a couple of corner kicks that were both defended.

After a Dan Hill overlap and cross had been cleared Cirencester mounted another attack as Peare sent a raking cross-field pass to Robinson and as he exchanged passes with Will Christopher it resulted in a free kick that Leroy Odiero headed away from goal. 

Shortly afterwards Toby Soule delivered the ball to the right corner for Waugh to collect and this led to a free kick that Toby Holland sent to the back post – resulting in a corner kick that was defended. 

Approaching the mid-point Holland slipped the ball behind the visitor’s defence for Waugh to collect in the corner before fizzing a cross through the 6-yard box and out to the left corner.

At the mid-point Ross Langworthy released Holland for a run but his shot from the right channel of the Cirencester Penalty Area was wide of the right post.

The busy Holland was soon in action again as he took a free kick, awarded for a foul on Langworthy, from the edge of the visitor’s box and struck a fierce low shot at the target – ‘keeper Ronnie Newberry was in place to make a solid stop. 

Moments later the action was at the Cleeve end of the pitch as Cirencester worked the ball down their left flank for McCrae to shoot from the left channel of the box – custodian Lewis Clayton pushing his effort over the cross-bar. The resulting corner kick from the left soon became one from the right that was defended and cleared downfield and eventually produced a cross from Holland to the back post and a shot from Will Jenkinson that was wide of the far-right post.   

The home side were soon back again as Dunbar delivered a cross from the right that Langworthy headed down at the back post but as it bounced back up Newberry had to tip it over his crossbar for a corner kick that was defended. 

Cirencester responded as Robinson reached the byline a couple of times to deliver low crosses that were defended – the first after being released by Miles and the second another cross-field pass from Peare. 

During the final ten minutes of this frantic half Jenkinson fired wide of the far-right post and Holland struck a low free kick that Newberry saved for the hosts, whilst Peare sent a free kick over the bar and headed a free kick to Clayton for the visitors. 

Half Time:   0-0 

Almost immediately after the re-start Cirencester worked the ball down their right flank for Miles to cut inside and feed Burns who shot from 25 yards, left channel, with Clayton making the necessary save. 

A minute later Clayton launched a free kick towards the left post of the Cirencester Penalty Area and this resulted in a scramble on the edge of the 6-yard box before ROSS LANGWORTHY smashed it into the roof of the Cirencester net to open the scoring.  1-0. 

Cirencester responded as Hill sent a deep cross into the home box and this was soon followed by Jordan Morris charging down the left flank before slipping the ball inside to McCrae who fired wide of the far-right post.

Ten minutes into the half Cleeve intercepted a Cirencester pass and countered quickly to supply Langworthy but his shot from the left channel front edge of the visitor’s box was well saved by Newberry. 

As Cirencester mounted an attack they were stopped in their tracks, and a free kick was awarded, but John Brough’s reaction to the decision resulted in him being dismissed from the dug-out. 

The free kick was eventually supplied to McCrae, via Peare and Will Pooley, and his shot at the target required Clayton to push it wide of his right post for a corner kick that yielded a second from the right flank that was collected by Will Christopher and slipped to Burns who sent a terrific pass from 25 yards out, right channel, that curled behind the Penalty Spot and through the edge of the 6-yard box and out for a goal-kick without contact from the incoming McCrea and Reegan Messenger. 

At the hour mark Peare played the ball down the pitch to FELIX MILES, just inside the home half, and he turned and embarked on a mazy run that took him past several would-be challenges before he struck a fierce left-footed shot past Clayton and inside the right post from the edge of the home box.  1-1.

A few minutes later Miles released Stevenson for a run down the right flank and his cross from the corner was pushed away from goal by Clayton to be collected by McCrae near the byline but his return was defended and cleared. 

The action was almost immediately at the other end as Waugh’s cross from the right to the near post was instinctively flicked by an incoming Langworthy but Newberry was in position to catch. 

Toby Holland then started to drive forward down the left flank but was forced across the pitch until he reached the front edge of the Cirencester box, right channel, where he shot - Newberry saved. 

A couple of minutes later Tommy Boyd slipped the ball behind the Cirencester defence for Langworthy to collect and carry to the left channel front edge of the box and this time he shot narrowly wide of the far-right post. 

The breakthrough that Cleeve had been searching for came a few minutes later when a Cirencester pass was intercepted near half-way, right channel, and quickly fed to Holland who slipped it further down the line to the Cirencester box for ROSS LANGWORTHY to collect and unleash a fierce strike that flew into the net.  2-1. 

Despite the setback Cirencester pressed forward as Miles delivered a cross from the left front corner of the home box for Ben Whitehead to head across goal and McCrae to head over the bar from just outside the 6-yard box. 

As Cirencester pressed Cleeve countered but Peare and Messenger were in position to block the resulting crosses. 

Into ‘added-time’ and Miles collected 30 yards from goal, right flank, and cut inside to send a left footed curling shot that sailed narrowly wide of the top left corner of the home goal. 

Moments later it was all over and Cleeve moved into the next round of the competition. 

Full Time:   2-1 

A game with plenty of endeavour and commitment and at times, in tight situations, some neat possession to keep the ball. 

Whilst disappointed, Cirencester will be pleased at the effort from the young squad who acquitted themselves well against more experienced opposition. 

Certainly, plenty of action for those that braved the cold snap to attend.


Attendance:     ???                           Referee:       Paul Collier 


Bishops Cleeve: 

   1.     Lewis Clayton
   2.     Will Emery
   5.    Leroy Odiero  
   3.     Will Jenkinson
   6.     Josh Nelmes
  14.     Ben McLean
  17.     Blaine Waugh
   7.     Toby Holland     
 10.     Ross Langworthy     ©                            50, 82
   9.     Ethan Dunbar
  11.     Toby Soule 

  19.     Ed Scott                                   (Leroy Odiero -46mins)
   4.     Noah Parker                              (Toby Soule-67mins)
  13.     Gregg Lannon
  15.     Joe Selman
  20.     Tommy Boyd                             (Ethan Dunbar-46mins)


Cirencester Town:  

    1.     Ronnie Newberry
    2.     Will Christopher     ©
    3.     Dan Hill
    4.     Harry Burns
    5.     Nick Peare
    6.     Reegan Messenger
    7.     Luca Robinson
    8.     Willem Pooley
    9.     Oliver Stevenson
   10.     Felix Miles                                           60
   11.     Charlie McCrae 

   12.     Ben Whitehead                        (Dan Hill-64mins)
   14.     Jordan Morris                          (Luca Robinson-46mins)
   15.     James Mortimer-Jones            (Oliver Stevenson-81mins)
   16.     Charlie Johnson
   17.     Stuart Nelson

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2024