skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Networld Sports
  • Total Teamwear
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Spire House
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Sollertis
  • Tiger Turf
  • SpecSavers

Pitching In Southern League 

Division 1 Central


Kidlington FC  4 - 3  Cirencester Town 



Match report by Dave Pyzer



Cirencester made the comparatively short journey to Kidlington FC for this re-arranged mid-week league fixture and returned empty-handed despite dominating possession – finding themselves 3-0 down at the interval (having had two ‘goals’ disallowed), and after a spirited recovery reduced the arrears to one goal before conceding another via a Penalty Kick before finally losing by the odd goal in seven.


In terms of league positions and current form prior to the match – Kidlington sat in 13th place in the league table (13 points from 11 games played) and 9th place in the ‘6-Match Form Guide’ table with 8 points from their last six matches whilst Cirencester were 5th (19 points from 13 games) and 5th (with 9 points) respectively. Last season the matches ended 2-0 with both sides securing a home victory.


Starting Eleven – Cirencester were without their Captain and Centre Back, Jake Lee (Work) and as a result Reegan Messenger moved from his usual midfield role to fill the void with Willem Pooley stepping into midfield. Aidan Bennett returned in place of the suspended Luca Robinson.


Cirencester kicked-off proceedings on a very cool, damp evening and immediately attacked to the right corner and after being repelled were soon back again as in the 4th minute Aidan Bennett crossed from the right flank to the left channel of the home box where Harry Burns had his shot blocked by ‘keeper Jack Hopwood for Dan Grieve to tuck the rebound into the net – offside given. 

Four minutes later Bennett collected the ball 10 yards inside the home half, right channel, turned and clipped the ball over the defence for Grieve to collect and shoot – blocked for a corner kick that was cleared to Bennett who sent it back out to Felix Miles but the resulting cross was defended.

A few minutes later Charlie Johnson sent the ball up to the left corner where Willem Pooley gave chase and secured a throw-in that resulted in the ball being worked across the front edge of the home box where the threat ended. 

In the 13th minutes Kidlington mounted their first serious threat in free play as Jack Gardner delivered a superb cross-field pass behind Johnson for Piers Walton to chase but Nick Peare had spotted the danger and came across to clear. 

Two minutes later Kidlington opened the scoring in the simplest fashion. A free kick was awarded on their left flank, 30yards from goal, that Gardner delivered to the far post where BEN RICHARDS arrived to head inside the post.  1-0.   

Back came Cirencester as Miles fired over the bar, soon to be followed by Pooley winning the ball on half-way to release Will Christopher on an overlap but his progress was cut short as he was fouled. The resulting free kick was delivered by Miles to the Penalty Spot and after a challenge it dropped to Peare who turned and shot, blocked for Grieve to toe-poke wide of the left post.

The busy Johnson sent another pass to the left corner where Miles collected, turned and crossed to the centre front edge of the home 6-yard box for Burns to tuck into the net – once again ‘offside’ given. 

Cirencester continued to press their hosts as Burns reached the right by-line, Miles fired wide of both the near-left post and far-right post before Christopher shot over the bar whilst their hosts mounted one attack that was defended by Johnson. 

In the lead up to the interval Kidlington mounted a counter attack as the ball was sent down the right flank for Walton to chase and cross towards the near post where FELIPE BARCELOS arrived tuck it inside the post.  2-0. 

A couple of minutes from the scheduled break Hopwood launched the ball down the home sides left flank and this produced a throw-in that was worked to Connor Ferguson who cut left from the right channel, 25 yards out, to shoot – blocked for a corner kick. The kick was delivered by Gardner into the goalmouth where it was cleared and recycled for another corner kick from the left. This produced a repeat of the first goal as Gardner delivered it to the back post and BEN RICHARDS leapt to head home for his second goal of the match.  3-0. 

Surprisingly at the interval it was 3-0 to Kidlington and Cirencester custodian Stuart Nelson had only touched the ball to pick it up from within his net. 

Half Time:   3-0  

Within two minutes of the re-start Cirencester reached the right corner and Burns launched the throw-in to the right channel of the home box, 10 yard out, where Ben Whitehead collected, turned and fired his shot wide of the far-left post.

A promising start to the second half but a few minutes later Kidlington responded as Ferguson and Mekhai Bessasa-Grant combined to reach the left corner before the former supplied Barcelos down the right flank where Peare ended progress. 

A couple of minutes later a Cirencester free kick resulted in a corner kick that Peare headed wide of the left post from near the Penalty Spot. 

As Cirencester pressed again Miles cut in from the left flank and had a couple of shots blocked, resulting in a corner kick that failed to trouble the home defence. 

Undeterred Cirencester were soon back as they searched for a goal – Christopher and Johnson both fired over the target and Whitehead wide of the right post before Ferguson’s cross from the left front corner of the Cirencester box resulted in a corner kick that Nelson smothered at his left post. 

Shortly after the mid-point of the second half Miles delivered a cross-field pass to Burns but his shot was blocked by an advanced Hopwood for a corner kick that was cleared to a lurking Joe Turley who fired over the bar from the edge of the home box.

A minute later Cirencester finally opened their account as FELIX MILES ran at the home defence, into the Penalty Area – left channel, and placed his shot inside the far-right post.  3-1.   

Three minutes later Cirencester scored again as the busy Miles delivered a superb cross, from left to right, to the right channel of the home box where HARRY BURNS arrived to touch it past an advancing Hopwood and into the vacant net.  3-2. 

Almost immediately Reegan Messenger started a run down the right channel before releasing Burns to the corner but the resulting cross was defended at the near post and quickly launched down the home sides left flank and as Messenger prevented Barcelos from getting to the ball, just inside the left side edge, they both fell to ground with the Referee pointing to the spot for a Penalty Kick.  FELIPE BARCELOS took the kick and tucked it inside the left post as Nelson dived to his left.  4-2.

Despite this further setback Cirencester kept the pressure on the home side as they sent in crosses and shots but the home defence stood firm and with four minutes of normal time remaining Kidlington mounted a counter attack that ended with a shot from Gardner that required Nelson to push wide of his goal. The resulting corner kicks were defended. 

A few minutes later Peare sent a cross-field pass to Burns, right to an overlapping Christopher who sent a low cross into the home box, blocked but collected by Whitehead who fired at the target as he turned – headed off the goal line near the left post. 

On the stroke of 90 minutes Cirencester were awarded a free kick, left flank – 10 yards inside the home half, that Miles delivered into the mix in front of the home goal where it was bundled into the net by NICK PEARE from close range.  4-3. 

Into ‘added-time’ Cirencester reached the right corner and Burns’ cross was blocked falling to an incoming Turley who fired over the bar from the edge of the box, left channel. 

There was still time for another Cirencester corner kick but once again the home defence stood firm and it was all over.

Full Time:   4-3 

A very committed performance from The Centurions as they pressed forward throughout but couldn’t break through a very stubborn home defence.



Attendance:     106                            Referee:       Phil Staynings 


Kidlington FC: 

   1.     Jack Hopwood
   2.     Samuel Bailey
   3.     Aleksander Novakovic
   4.     Samuel Jenkins
   5.     Jack Smith     ©
   6.     Benjamin Richards                                             15, 45     
   7.     Piers Walton
   8.     Jack Gardner
   9.     Felipe Bogo Barcelos                                          38, 75p
  10.     Connor Ferguson
  11.     Mekhai Bessasa-Grant

  12.     Lochlan Colquhoun                                 (Samuel Bailey-84mins)
  13.     Charlie Barnett    (GK)
  14.     Jacob Joseph                                       (Connor Ferguson-90mins)
  15.     Amari Davis-Stephenson
  16.     George Cowmeadow                               (Mekhai Bessasa-Grant-79mins)


Cirencester Town:  

    1.     Stuart Nelson
    2.     Will Christopher     (C)
    3.     Charlie Johnson
    4.     Joe Turley
    5.     Reegan Messenger
    6.     Nick Peare                                                        90
    7.     Felix Miles                                                       70
    8.     Willem Pooley
    9.     Dan Grieve
   10.     Harry Burns                                                     73
   11.     Aidan Bennett 

   12.     Ben Whitehead                                    (Aidan Bennett-46mins)
   14.     Charlie McCrae                                    (Dan Grieve-77mins)
   15.     Josh Seller
   16.     James Mortimer-Jones
   17.     Ronnis Newberry    (GK)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2024