skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Tiger Turf
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Total Teamwear
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning

Pitching In Southern League 

Division 1 Central 


Cirencester Town  0 - 1  Ware FC 



Click photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Match photos supplied by Graham Hill


Match report by Dave Pyzer


For the third successive week The Corinium Stadium was the venue for a league fixture and after a difficult match against experienced WARE FC it was an Own Goal that separated the teams as the visitors ended The Centurions unbeaten home record.


In terms of league positions and current form – prior to the match Ware sat in 6th place in the table with 13 points from 7 games played, whilst Cirencester were in 2nd place with 16 points from 9 games played. The ‘6-Match Form Guide’ table reveals that Ware have secured 10 points from their last 6 games and Cirencester 11 points to sit in 6th and 5th places respectively.


The Cirencester starting eleven had a number of changes from last week’s match against Hertford Town as Josh Nelmes returned to his berth alongside Jake Lee in the centre of the defence following the departure of Ellis Dunton to Australia. Nick Peare returned to midfield as Harry Burns was unavailable (injury) and Dan Grieve came in as central striker with Aidan Bennett moving to the wide role in place of Charlie McCrae who took a seat on the bench.


The home side kicked-off playing towards The Shed end of the ground in perfect conditions for football (cool dry afternoon) and immediately sent the ball back to ‘keeper Stuart Nelson to launch down the pitch and after a couple of headers from each side it eventually found its way back to Nelson. 

Cirencester then tried both flanks before Ware responded following an interception by Mitchel Hahn who quickly supplied Joe Dearman on the right flank for a run and cross that passed narrowly wide of the far-left post. 

During the next five minutes Cirencester produced several multi-pass moves as they worked the ball down the pitch but the visitors defence comfortably dealt with the threat before countering with a long ball to the left corner that they worked along the front edge of the home Penalty Area to supply Ramiah Mills, right channel-15 yards out, who shot at the target for Nelson to block and concede a corner kick. 

Cirencester pushed forward for Nick Peare to strike a free kick from 30 yards narrowly wide of the target, Will Christopher delivered a cross into the Ware Penalty Area to be collected by Aidan Bennett who sent it back across the goal towards the right post where Dan Grieve headed wide and following another period of passing football Luca Robinson’s cross was blocked for a corner kick that Jake Lee headed into the waiting arms of custodian Fred Burbidge.

A few minutes later another Peare free kick from 25 yards was deflected into the grateful arms of Burbidge. 

The visitors had survived the early pressure and shortly after the mid-point of the half they began to exert some pressure of their own on the home defence as they worked the ball into the box from the left corner to have three strikes at the target blocked in quick succession before the danger was cleared. 

Cirencester replied as Robinson’s low cross was caught by Burbidge at his left post and then the ‘keeper embarked on a couple of forays outside his area to clear a couple of home attacks before he punted the ball down the centre of the pitch for Mills to chase and compete with the home defence, chipping the ball over an advancing Nelson to strike the crossbar. 

Within a few minutes of this ‘miss’ the visitors scored as Darion Furlong sent a free kick from their left flank, 20 yards inside their half, towards the home Penalty Spot where following a late call an attempted headed clearance skimmed the top of Josh Nelmes head to be diverted inside the right post for an OWN GOAL.  0-1.   

Encouraged by their breakthrough Ware immediately attacked to their right corner as Hahn laid the ball back to David Sota who sent the ball towards the far-left post where Mills produced an audacious aerial back-heel flick that was narrowly wide of the left post. 

In reply Peare released Charlie Johnson for another adventure down his left flank (a feature of the first half) who in turn exchanged passes with Bennett before crossing into the Ware box – resulting in a corner kick that was headed clear at the near post. 

The final action of the half brought a fine low save from Nelson at his right post who conceded a corner kick whilst denying Furlong - after he had latched onto a loose ball when the ‘defensive wall’ did its job in blocking Joel Jacobs free kick in a central position 22 yards from goal.

Half Time:   0-1  

The visitors started the second period positively as they worked their left flank – requiring Lee and Johnson to clear several threats. 

Shortly before the hour mark Charlie McCrae replaced an injured Dan Grieve and he was quickly involved in the action as he nearly latched onto Robinson’s deep cross to the left post. 

Leading up to the mid-point of the half Nelson launched the ball down the centre of the pitch for Bennett to head on as Peare burst forward but Furlong recovered to deal with the threat. 

Shortly afterwards Robinson, who had been a constant thorn in the side of Ware with his pace and trickery, cut inside from his flank near half-way to supply Peare, forward to Joe Turley, back to Robinson who was fouled for the culprit to be awarded a Yellow Card.

A few minutes later Nelson launched another ball to the left channel front edge of the Ware Penalty Area where Peare headed on for Bennett to nip in and chip Burbidge but Furlong recovered to clear from the goal-line – conceding a corner kick in the process.

Cirencester were making a determined effort to level with a Johnson free kick from the left being caught by Burbidge above the head of Nelmes and Bennett being knocked to the ground inside the Penalty Area before it was recycled via Peare to Reegan Messenger for the danger to be cleared. 

As is often the case when pressing it leaves gaps for opponents to exploit and Ware quickly fed Mills for a 1v1 with Nelson and as the ‘keeper advanced Mills fired over from the edge of the home box. 

During the next five minutes Cirencester pressure led to a couple of corner kicks with the first headed against the left post by a diving Peare.

Once again Ware countered as Liam Dulson chased after a ball to their left corner where Nelson left his box to clear but was robbed by the Ware man who shot towards the empty goal but Lee was in place to clear from near the goal-line.

As the game was drawing to a close Richard Ennin clipped the ball wide of the right post following a corner kick from the right flank and deep into added-time Willem Pooley latched onto the ball just outside the visitor’s box, left front corner, and delivered a terrific low pass to McCrae, right of the Penalty Spot, but his shot on the turn was blocked and cleared.

Moments later it was all over.

Full Time:   0-1 

Cirencester ‘huffed & puffed’ with some neat approach play but their more experienced visitors dealt with their threat when entering the Penalty Area and the second half in particular was very staccato with numerous interruptions – substitutions and free kicks.



Attendance:    153                             Referee:       William Payne 


Cirencester Town: 

    1.     Stuart Nelson
    2.     Will Christopher
    3.     Charlie Johnson
    4.     Joe Turley
    5.     Jake Lee 
    6.     Josh Nelmes 
    7.     Luca Robinson
    8.     Nick Peare
    9.     Daniel Grieve
   10.     Reegan Messenger
   11.     Aidan Bennett 

   12.     Charlie McCrae                        (Dan Grieve-55mins)  
   14.     Willem Pooley                           (Reegan Messenger-88mins)
   15.     Ollie Stevenson
   16.     Josh Seller
   17.     Jonny Dennis                            (Aidan Bennett-82mins)



            Own Goal                              38

    1.     Frederick Burbidge
    2.     David Sota
    3.     Joel Jacobs
    4.     Mitchel Hahn
    5.     Louis Rose     ©
    6.     Darion Furlong 
    7.     Joe Dearman
    8.     Freddy Moncur
    9.     Ramiah Mills
   10.    Jack Dreyer
   11.     Liam Dulson 

   12.     Richard Ennin                           (Ramiah Mills-82mins)      
   14.     Stefanos Georgiou
   15.     Declan Nche                            (Freddy Moncur-81mins)
   16.     Matthew Walsh
   17.     Daniel Rumens

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2024