skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Exceed Personal Training
  • Tiger Turf
  • Spire House
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Direct Business Solutions

Pitching In Southern League 

Division 1 Central 


Cirencester Town  4 - 0  Kempston Rovers 



Click photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Match photos supplied by Graham Hill



Match report by Dave Pyzer



The Centurions retuned to The Corinium Stadium, following their exit from The Isuzu FA Trophy last week at the hands of Frome Town, for a league match against KEMPSTON ROVERS and after a goal-less first half the home side scored four without reply in the second to take the three points.


The starting eleven had a number of changes from last week - the defence had a different look about it as Josh Nelmes returned (following his 3-match suspension) alongside Jake Lee (making his first league start of the season) at the centre of the defence with Ellis Dunton moving to right back to cover the absence of Will Christopher (unavailable). Reegan Messenger returned to midfield (having recovered from his ankle injury) and Luca Robinson to the right-wing berth. There was also the re-appearance of Roger James (who played for Cirencester a couple of years ago) to the front line as he returns to action following a 4-month injury absence sustained at Hayes and Yeading.  


Cirencester kicked-off playing towards The Arena end of the ground for Charlie Johnson to launch a pinpoint cross-field pass, from left to right, to Luca Robinson who immediately cut inside to fire a left footed shot past the left post from 20 yards, right channel.

Kempston replied with an attack to their right corner that provided them with a throw-in and a corner kick that reached the back post to be cleared and recycled for an offside decision to be awarded – relieving the threat on the home defence. 

Five minutes into the game and Cirencester worked the ball down their right flank for Robinson to deliver a superb cross from the corner to the back post where Reegan Messenger arrived to produce a downward header that was cleared from near the goal-line. 

During the next few minutes Cirencester launched another couple of crosses from their right flank that caused the visitors some concern and one from the left provided by Roger James that was just too high for an incoming Robinson at the right post. 

After a brief sojourn to the right corner from Kempston was defended Cirencester worked the ball across the pitch from right to left to enable Johnson to deliver a cross to the Penalty Spot where Harry Burns arrived to head wide of the right post.    

The visitors had survived the barrage and leading up to the mid-point of the half they began to work the ball forward themselves as Conrad Holland collected a cross-field pass on their left flank and sent it over ‘keeper Stuart Nelson for Joshua Francis to collect and send into the home box – defended and cleared but recycled back to the right corner where the pressure petered out so they tried the left as Holland and Caleb Bolton combined but again the home defence stood firm. 

Shortly afterwards Ellis Dunton played the ball up to Burns, right channel front edge of the Kempston box, and he fired at the target - blocked and fed back to Dunton who slipped it left to James and he struck a firm low shot towards the left post that was parried by ‘keeper David Saunders but as Jonny Dennis darted forward for the rebound his connection resulted in a goal-kick. This was to prove the last action for Dennis as he pulled up with a hamstring strain moments later and had to be replaced. 

Cirencester continued to press and after a Robinson cross had been blocked the ball fell to Messenger who struck an instant left footed shot from 25 yards over the bar. 

Into the final scheduled ten minutes of the half and Kempston mounted a couple of attacks – Arel Amu right to Francis, left to Charles Black, toe poke towards Bolton intercepted but soon followed by Holland supplying Samuel Ezenwaka who crossed from the left corner towards the centre front edge of the home 6-yard box where Arel Amu darted forward to send it over the bar. 

Leading up to the interval Kempston survived a couple of corner kicks as Jake Lee’s glancing header was narrowly wide of the right post and a neat exchange of passes between Robinson and Burns nearly opened up their defence – Saunders collecting the ball before the former could connect. 

The final threat on the home goal came as Holland chased a long ball to the left corner but an alert Johnson spotted the danger and came across to win the ball. 

Half Time:   0-0  

The first half had been one of pressure on their visitors from the home side with numerous blocked crosses and shots, but with too many misplaced or over-hit passes so a little more composure was required in the second period.

When Kempston kicked-off they worked the ball to the left corner where Holland had two crosses blocked by Dunton before they managed to work it to their right corner for Francis to deliver a cross to the back post where Ezenwaka sent it over the bar from a few yards. 

Kempston were then gifted a corner kick, following a miss-placed back pass, that eventually reached Mathieu Racine just outside the home box but his shot through a ruck of players was safely collected by Nelson. 

A minute later Kempston were made to pay for their missed opportunity as James received the ball on the centre front edge of the visitor’s box and sent it right for an incoming LUCA ROBINSON to smash it into the net with a fierce drive from the right channel, 12 yards out.  1-0.

Five minutes into the half Dunton sent the ball down the right touchline to Burns who slipped it inside the defender for Robinson to collect and cross – resulting in a corner kick, followed by a free kick to Kempston. 

This was soon followed by a clever reverse pass from James that found Messenger, right front corner of the visitor’s box, who moved it right to Burns, inside to Robinson but resulted in a goal-kick. 

Shortly afterwards a Kempston free kick was cleared to James who sent it right to Dunton and he delivered another pass down the right flank for Burns to produce a sublime piece of skill as he took the pace out of the pass whilst at the same time volleying it into the path of Robinson as he charged to the corner where Melvin Onu cleared the danger. 

At the hour mark Charlie McCrae sent a pass from the centre circle to Robinson in the right corner and the subsequent shot was blocked for a corner kick that reached McCrae who had his shot blocked by Saunders feet with an ‘offside’ flag raised as Messenger followed up.

Shortly before the mid-point of the half Cirencester added a second when the ball was worked across the pitch to Charlie Johnson, some 35 yards from goal – left channel, and he struck a fierce shot that crashed against the top left corner of the goal-frame before rebounding for Messenger, right channel of the Kempston box, to smash a ‘hip-high’ volley that deflected off Onu over Saunders on its way into the net for an OWN GOAL2-0

The third goal came nine minutes later as Dan Grieve collected another Dunton pass down the right flank and delivered a low cross for CHARLIE McCRAE to dart forward and poke inside the right post from close range.  3-0. 

Kempston’s response was a cross-field pass from Racine, right flank - half-way, towards the far post that was cleared to Onu who fired over the bar from a central position just outside the home box.   

The final goal of the game was one of simplicity and speed as the busy Joe Turley sent the ball to his right, 10-yards inside the Kempston half, for the lively Robinson to cleverly slip it past the incoming challenge and collect before charging to the by-line to pull it back for DAN GRIEVE to instantly drive it into the net from near the Penalty Spot.  4-0. 

At the 90-minute mark Burns supplied a supporting Willem Pooley but his shot at goal was deflected for a corner kick that was cleared and recycled to Turley who sent it back to the left corner to maintain the pressure until the final whistle was blown. 

Full Time:   4-0 

A game of two halves as Cirencester failed to make their pressure and possession of the first half pay and could have gone two down before they opened their account but once they had scored they were much more clinical.


Attendance:    151                             Referee:       Martyn Mitchell 


Cirencester Town:

        OWN GOAL                                         65

    1.     Stuart Nelson
    2.     Ellis Dunton 
    3.     Charlie Johnson
    4.     Joe Turley
    5.     Jake Lee 
    6.     Josh Nelmes 
    7.     Luca Robinson                                       48
    8.     Reegan Messenger
    9.     Roger James
   10.    Harry Burns
   11.     Jonny Dennis 

   12.     Daniel Grieve                           (Roger James-61mins)  80       
   14.     Charlie McCrae                        (Jonny Dennis-27mins)  74
   15.     Willem Pooley                          (Reegan Messenger-83mins)
   16.     Aidan Bennett
   17.     Ronnie Newberry   (GK)


Kempston Rovers: 

    1.     David Saunders
    2.     Joshua Francis
    3.     Conrad Holland
    4.     Charles Campnell
    5.     Mathieu Racine
    6.     Melvin Onu     © 
    7.     Charles Black
    8.     Erin Amu
    9.     Arel Amu
   10.    Caleb Bolton
   11.     Samuel Ezenwaka

   12.     Ernest Njoroge                        (Charles Campnell-68mins)       
   14.     Camille Tani                             (Caleb Bolton-68mins)
   15.     Trevelle Reid
   16.     Daniel Ezeigwe Udanoh            (Joshua Francis-81mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023