skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Mainstream digital
  • SpecSavers
  • Networld Sports
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental

Pre-Season Friendly


Evesham United  1 – 1  Cirencester Town

Click photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Match photos supplied by Graham Hill



Match report by Dave Pyzer


Cirencester Town made the comparatively short journey to Worcestershire to face former adversaries Evesham United of the Southern League – Division 1 South for their final Pre-Season Friendly match and following a disjointed performance, against 10-men for the most part, returned unbeaten in their preparations for the new season.


Heavy rain had prevailed throughout the morning and despite this the pitch looked in remarkable condition and conducive to a fast-paced match but within five minutes the home side were reduced to 10-men when their Captain was dismissed for contact with a Cirencester player and consequently they had to re-shuffle their pack.

The opening few minutes saw both sides attack down their flanks without causing any problems for their opponents until the free kick, following the dismissal, as Charlie Johnson, from a position right of centre - 30 yards out, narrowly fired over the top right corner of the home goal-frame.

Despite their setback it was the home side that looked the more dangerous during the early phases as their more accurate passing, coupled with the occasional long ball to the corners, provided a test for the Cirencester defence.

The first attacking move of note for Cirencester saw Jonny Dennis switch play from the left flank to Reegan Messenger in the centre and he moved it further right to Harry Burns, right side edge of the home box, who clipped it to the front edge of the 6-yard box where it was cleared and recycled for a cross to Aidan Bennett, near the Penalty Spot, and his header was safely caught by ‘keeper Jack Copland.

In reply Evesham sent a couple of long passes to their left corner with the first leading to a cross from Amer Awadh that a well-positioned ‘keeper, Stuart Nelson, caught at his right post and the second a cross from Awadh being collected in the far-right corner by Ben Hammett and fed to Jordan Lymn for him to send into the visitor’s box – cleared.

Cirencester responded as Burns 30-yard effort brought a fine save from Copland – low at his right post.

At the mid-point of the half Awadh, 10-yards inside the Cirencester half, cut right from the left flank and worked his way towards the centre with some clever footwork, before slipping a sublime pass through the visitor’s defence for JORDAN LYMN to collect, just inside the Penalty Area as he burst in from the right channel, before moving left to round an advancing Nelson before tapping the ball into the vacant net.  1-0.

A couple of minutes later Awadh combined with Toby Raison who fired a cross from the left corner towards the 6-yard box – parried by Nelson and cleared by Josh Nelmes.

Within a minute the ball was at the other end as Cirencester were awarded a corner kick from their right flank – Joe Turley delivered it to the far-post where Ellis Dunton headed it towards the Penalty Spot and it was eventually cleared back to the right flank and recycled. When it was cleared again it reached Dunton, who was still lurking near the left channel front edge of the home box, and he drove a fierce left footed strike narrowly over the top left corner of the goal-frame.

Leading up to the interval play was scrappy as neither side retained possession for long but in ‘added-time’ Dan Grieve had an effort pushed wide by Copland and Dennis had a shot towards the top right corner deflected for a corner kick as he cut in from the left flank.

Half Time1-0

During the interval Cirencester made a change as Charlie McCrae replaced Dan Grieve and they also switched Ellis Dunton to left back with Charlie Johnson moving inside to partner Josh Nelmes.

The accuracy of the Cirencester passing had not been up to its usual standard during the first period and after their ‘half-time team-talk’ it improved, and they also worked their flanks to better effect as they closed their opponent’s space quicker denying them time to pick a pass.

Within the first couple of minutes they were awarded a corner kick from the right that Johnson headed wide at the back post and as they pressed again the ball was cleared for Levi Steele to embark on a strong run down the left touchline but he ran out of space resulting in a Cirencester throw-in.

Five minutes into the half Cirencester worked the ball to the right corner as Burns and Will Christopher combined with the latter clipping the ball to the near post where Messenger darted forward to head but straight into the grateful arms of Copland.

During the next few minutes Copland dived on a low cross from Christopher and saved a firm effort from Charlie McCrae as he cut in from the left front corner of the home box but as Cirencester pressed again an attempted back pass to Copland from their right corner was intercepted by the alert REEGAN MESSENGER who just managed to get his toe to the ball to divert it into the empty net before Copland could collect.  1-1.

Encouraged Cirencester pressed forward as Christopher and Burns combined – cross caught by Copland - then a deep cross from the left flank resulted in a corner kick from the right and Josh Nelmes headed this wide of the left post. Almost immediately Burns supplied Bennett, right of the Penalty Spot, and he laid it back to Messenger who shot over the bar from 22 yards.

The busy Burns robbed an Evesham player in a central position 15 yards inside the home half and quickly supplied Bennett who advanced into the home box and fired over the bar.

By the mid-point of the half Cirencester were certainly enjoying more possession and threatening more often against the ten-men than they had in the first half but the home side were still dangerous from free kicks and corner kicks obtained on the counter attack.

As the game entered the final scheduled 15 minutes Cirencester introduced three 17-year-olds and immediately ‘keeper Ronnie Newberry was called upon to make a catch and shortly afterwards a confident Josh Seller strode forward with the ball before supplying Luca Robinson for a run to the right corner where Will Owens dealt with the threat.

As the game was drawing to a close Owens and Alfie Dunn were often involved at both ends of the pitch as Owens had a deep cross caught by Newberry at his left post and Dunn curled a corner kick wide of the back post.

In the final minute Ethan Moran won the ball on the right flank, half-way, and slipped it inside to Awadh who sent it wide to Dunn as he cut in from the left front corner of the Cirencester box, shimmied and shot wide of the far-right post.

Full Time:  1-1.

Another competitive match with plenty of effort.

Evesham must be complimented for their spirit and Cirencester for their recovery after a poor start.



Stuart Nelson (Ronnie Newberry 78), Will Christopher ©, Charlie Johnson, Joe Turley, Josh Nelmes (Josh Seller 78), Ellis Dunton, Jonny Dennis (Luca Robinson 78), Reegan Messenger, Dan Grieve (Charlie McCrae 46), Aidan Bennett (Ollie Stevenson 78), Harry Burns (Willem Pooley 71).



Jack Copland, Jordan Lymn, Ben Hammett (Ethan Moran 55), Charlie Wise ©, Michael O’Regan, Amer Awadh, Elliot Kettle (Luca Alonzi 65), Levi Steele (Alfie Dunn 65), Will Owens, Connor Taylor (Toby Raison 5), Aaron Heap.

Unused Subs:-   Jamario Belnavis, Darius Brown

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023