skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Tiger Turf
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Networld Sports
  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Cirecester Vape
  • Total Teamwear
  • Mainstream digital

The Emirates FA Cup 

Preliminary Round 


Cirencester Town  1 - 1  Clevedon Town 


Click photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Match photos supplied by Graham Hill

Match report by Dave Pyzer


The Centurions entered The Emirates FA Cup at the Preliminary Round stage with a home match against Toolstation Western League - Premier Division side CLEVEDON TOWN and after going behind in the 54th minute managed to secure a late equaliser a few minutes from full time to stay in the competition.


The visitors arrive at The Corinium Stadium having had an indifferent start to their league campaign with one win and three defeats from their four matches to date and no doubt looking to get their season back on track with a cup run.

Cirencester have also started the season slowly with one point secured from the six available so a cup run would be very welcome.

Examination of the Cirencester starting eleven revealed a change from the previous two games as Zac Guinan was injured whilst training in midweek – suffering damage to his ACL and we wish him a speedy recovery from this difficult injury – and as a result Ross Gabriel joined Levi Irving in a front two with Nick Hancock moving to the bench to accommodate this.


The visitors kicked off playing towards The Shed end of the ground and immediately tried to run the ball down their left channel but they were soon dispossessed and a counter attack started as Levi Irving supplied Ross Gabriel as he moved towards the right corner to secure a throw-in. Josh Nelmes launched the throw towards the near post where Irving leapt to head just over the top right corner of the Clevedon goal. 

Encouraged by this the home side continued to press as Jordan Morris’s cross from the left corner was defended and a minute later a move involving Gabriel, Nelmes and Jordan Lymn, down the right flank, reached the right corner again but the resulting cross passed by the far-left post without contact. 

During the next 10 minutes Cirencester pressed continuously as Joe Shepherd latched onto a Gabriel header in the right channel of the Clevedon box but his shot was blocked, Irving sent a Morris cross from the left corner over the bar and Shepherd was just short of making contact with another Morris cross.

Leading up to the mid-point of the half a busy Gabriel had created an opening for Irving (shot diverted for a corner kick), caused some problems for the visitors when a Nelmes throw-in reached the Penalty Spot – resulting in a shot from Morris and a corner kick that was eventually recycled from the right flank for him to head wide of the left post. 

Shortly afterwards the visitors ‘keeper, Luca Smith, was heavily involved in the action as he caught three dangerous crosses in four minutes with home players closing or challenging for the ball. 

During this period Clevedon mounted a quick counter attack down their right flank as Elliot Nicholson slipped the ball inside for Alex Camm to collect inside the right channel of the home box but his shot was blocked by Theo Lewis. 

Around the half-hour mark a cross from the left touchline reached Nicholson in the right channel of the home box but his header was comfortably caught by ‘keeper Alex Harris. 

Into the last ten minutes and Clevedon’s Mitch Osmond’s free kick from the right flank reached Glen Hayer, to the left of the home Penalty Spot, but his shot on the turn was blocked rebounding to Ethan Feltham who crossed from near the left by-line but the ball struck his team-mate and rebounded wide of the left post from a few yards. 

As the half was drawing to a close Cirencester pressed again but couldn’t break through the visitor’s stubborn defence and minutes before the interval Clevedon created the clearest chance of the match so far when Freddie King received the ball, in space, on the centre front edge of the home box and struck his shot straight at an advanced Harris enabling the ‘keeper to parry and collect. 

Half Time:   0-0 

It had been a dominant first period from the home side but they had nothing to show for it and almost from the re-start Osmond sent a free kick into the home box where Ellis Dunton headed it clear to be recycled to the left corner for Finlay Biggs to deliver to the back post but as there was no Clevedon player near enough Harris was able to collect. 

Cirencester reacted positively to this last action as they worked the ball down their left flank, involving several players before being returned to Dunton who embarked on a run down the left channel to shoot over the Clevedon bar. 

The home side were really pressing hard at this stage as Irving reached the right by-line a couple of times but his cross to a supporting Shepherd was behind him and the threat was cleared. 

Moments later a Cirencester free kick was followed by a corner kick but once again the visitors survived and it was at this point a clipped pass from inside their half landed behind the home defence but just outside the Cirencester Penalty Area and this prompted Harris to dart from his box to clear. At the same time ETHAN FELTHAM was closing fast and he managed to block the clearance with the ball rebounding into the empty net before a covering defender could reach it.  0-1. 

Encouraged by their breakthrough Clevedon worked the ball to their left corner and inside for King to turn and shoot – blocked. 

Shortly afterwards Lymn carried the ball down the right flank before switching play to the left flank for Morris to charge to the left by-line and send a low cross through the visitors 6-yard box without contact as three players supported. 

During the next few minutes Cirencester worked the ball forward to win a couple more corner kicks and the visitors responded with an attack down their right channel as King’s effort was blocked by Jake Lee for a corner kick that Callum Eastwood headed wide at the back post. 

Back came Cirencester as Irving and Morris embarked on runs to the visitor’s box and Lymn cut in from the right flank to be stopped near the edge of the Clevedon box – free kick defended.

As the game entered the 40-minute mark Luca Smith smothered another couple of low crosses at the near post and then Morris set off on a run from half-way before passing the ball to Frankie Johnson leading to a corner kick when the cross was cut-out. Nick Hancock delivered the kick to the near left post where JOE SHEPHERD darted forward to head inside the left post from a few yards.  1-1.

In the remaining five minutes Cirencester pressed again but Smith made several catches to deny the home side.

Full Time:   1-1 

Once again Cirencester dominated possession but were unable to find the cutting edge to break through a resolute defence.


The replay is scheduled for Wednesday 24th August – KO 7.30pm at Clevedon’s Everyone Active Stadium, Davis Lane, Clevedon. Post Code – BS21 6TG


Attendance:    141                             Referee:       Andrew Hunt 


Cirencester Town: 

    1.     Alex Harris
    2.     Josh Nelmes
    3.     Jordan Morris
    4.     Joe Turley
    5.     Jake Lee     © 
    6.     Ellis Dunton 
    7.     Jordan Lymn
    8.     Theo Lewis
    9.     Ross Gabriel
   10.    Levi Irving
   11.     Joe Shepherd                                      88 

   12.     Nick Hancock                             (Ellis Dunton-75mins)
   14.     Kenneth Mills                             (Theo Lewis-68mins)
   15.     Frankie Johnson                        (Ross Gabriel-75mins)
   16.     Reegan Messenger                               
   17.     Louie Barnfather (GK)


Clevedon Town: 

   1.     Luca Smith  
   2.     Elliot Nicholson
   3.     Syd Camper
   4.     Callum Kingdon
   5.     Callum Eastwood
   6.     Glen Hayer
   7.     Alex Camm       
   8.     Mitch Osmond     ©
   9.     Freddie King
  10.    Ethan Felham                                        54  
  11.    Finlay Biggs

  12.     Sol Kent
  13.     Charles Lovell   (GK)
  14.     Tom Kemble
  15.     Tom Brazier
  16.     Archie Ferris                             (Freddie King-81mins)
  17.     Josh Pitt

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022