skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Mainstream digital
  • Spire House
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • Networld Sports
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Tiger Turf


Pitching In Southern League


Division 1 Central 


Cirencester Town  1 - 2  Thame United 


Click photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Match photos supplied by Graham Hill

Match report by Dave Pyzer


The first home league match of the new season in the new Division brought THAME UNITED to The Corinium Stadium and unlike Saturday’s 35oC temperature the match was played in more typical conditions due to the rain that arrived earlier in the evening.


The Cirencester Manager, John Brough, named the same starting eleven and substitutes as he had chosen for Saturday’s opening match at Biggleswade.


The visitors kicked off playing towards The Shed end of the ground and almost immediately conceded possession enabling Cirencester to press down their right flank but Zac Guinan’s shot on the turn from the edge of the box was blocked.

A minute later as Cirencester worked the ball down their right flank Thame intercepted an infield pass and this led to Daniel West having a pot at goal from 25 yards – drawing a diving save from home custodian Alex Harris as he pushed it around his right post to concede a corner kick.

During the next few minutes Cirencester mounted attacks down both flanks and the visitors countered with an attack down their right flank that saw Adam Smith’s shot blocked to be recycled and the resulting cross caught by Harris.

Cirencester continued to press and probe for the next 10 minutes or so without really testing the visitors defence who mounted one counter attack in response but as the mid-point of the half approached Josh Nelmes sent a long diagonal pass to the left corner that was eventually fed back to Ellis Dunton, via Joe Shepherd and Jordan Morris, who delivered it to the Penalty Spot where Guinan’s header was deflected for a corner kick. Thame defended the kick but as it was being recycled the home side committed a foul – resulting in a free kick to the visitors.

Jordan Lymn then embarked on one of his many runs down the right flank to the by-line before crossing to the far post where a fast-arriving Guinan was just unable to make contact.

A few minutes later Lymn reached the right corner again - resulting in a free kick and a far-post Dunton header that led to a corner kick that Nick Hancock sent into the mix. When it was cleared it was collected by Joe Turley who returned it to Hancock as he looped round from the corner kick and this time he delivered it to the near post where JAKE LEE darted forward to powerfully head into the back of the net.  1-0.

Almost immediately the home side worked the ball down their left flank and were awarded a throw-in and this led to a Yellow Card for a Thame defender that a member of their dug-out commented about and this led to him also being issued with a Yellow Card. As the Referee walked away a further comment was made and the Referee returned to issue a second Yellow followed by the required Red Card.

As Cirencester continued to press the visitors launched the ball towards their left corner and Adam Smith gave chase to collect and work his way inside along the front edge of the home box and as he neared the centre he back heeled the ball into the path of DAVID PEARCE who struck a sublime left footed shot into the top right corner of the home goal to level the score.  1-1.

The final few minutes of the half saw both sides threaten the opposing Penalty Area but without an end-product.

Half Time:   1-1

Upon the resumption Cirencester worked the ball to the left corner several times during the opening 5 minutes but the visitors defence stood firm and shortly afterwards Dunton embarked on a strong run down the centre with the ball breaking to Guinan who fired over from 25 yards but Guinan was soon in the action again as he headed Hancock’s cross from the right flank narrowly wide of the far-left post from near the Penalty Spot.

At the hour mark Cirencester made a couple of substitutions and shortly afterwards David Lynn sent a free kick from half-way to the edge of the home box where it was laid back by West and sent into the box to be headed clear.

At the mid-point of the half, Levi Irving, collected the ball 20 yards from goal and made a purposeful run to the by-line where he squared it through the visitors 6-yard box to the far post but Theo Lewis was unable to convert the chance.

The Thame response was a corner kick from the left that Jack Gardner delivered to the back post where Finlay Murray headed into the waiting hands of Harris.

During the next few minutes Cirencester threatened the visitors goal as Shepherd’s header was caught by ‘keeper Josh Hill and Nelmes header passed wide of the left post and as they pressed again they were caught by the ‘sucker punch’ as Thame launched the ball from defence to their left corner where the willing ADAM SMITH once again gave chase alongside a home defender. The Thame player cut back inside, causing the defender to lose his footing on the damp surface, and this enabled him to move into the home Penalty Area unhindered to strike his firm shot inside the far-right post.  1-2.

Following the setback Cirencester had to push forward and a Dunton cross to the Penalty Spot reached Irving who headed it on to the right post where Shepherd was unable to convert.

A minute later Shepherd, edge of the box, headed a cross on towards Lewis, Penalty Spot, who headed it in the direction of the goal where it was cleared.

Another ball into the Thame box soon followed as Cirencester pressed in search of an equaliser with the ball bobbing about until cleared and fed back in but the Thame defence remained resolute and hung on to claim the 3 points.

Full Time:   1-2

Cirencester had more possession and chances as numerous balls were sent into the Thame box but the visitors countered quickly to score two breakaway goals to take the points.


Attendance:    106                             Referee:       Adam Gregort 


Cirencester Town:

    1.     Alex Harris
    2.     Josh Nelmes
    3.     Jordan Morris
    4.     Joe Turley
    5.     Jake Lee     ©                                       29 
    6.     Ellis Dunton 
    7.     Jordan Lymn
    8.     Nick Hancock
    9.     Zachary Guinan
   10.    Theo Lewis
   11.     Joe Shepherd 

   12.     Levi Irving                                 (Zachary Guinan-60mins)       
   14.     Kenneth Mills                            (Nick Hancock-60mins)
   15.     Reegan Messenger                  (Joe Shepherd-86mins)
   16.     Frankie Johnson                                 
   17.     Louie Barnfather (GK)


Thame United: 

   1.     Joshua Hill
   2.     Lewis Thorne
   3.     Harrison Mepham
   4.     Clinton Nosakhare
   5.     Finlay Murray
   6.     David Lynn
   7.     Jack Tutton     
   8.     Jack Gardner
   9.     David Pearce                                         39
  10.     Daniel West     ©  
  11.     Adam Smith                                          76

  12.     Matthew Peake-Pijnen
  14.     Harry Williams
  15.     Gregory Hackett                         (Adam Smith-90mins)
  16.     Hayden Beadle
  17.     Owen Pearce

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2024