skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Tiger Turf
  • Mainstream digital
  • SpecSavers
  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Networld Sports


GFA Senior Challenge Cup



Yate Town  5 - 0  Cirencester Town 


Click photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Match photos supplied by Graham Hill


Match report by Dave Pyzer


As a distraction from their League exploits Cirencester travelled to the GFA Headquarters at Oaklands Park for a mid-week fixture against YATE TOWN in the final of the Senior Challenge Cup and after an entertaining match, that included three disallowed ‘goals’ and a missed Penalty Kick for Cirencester, it was their Southern League – Premier Division South opponents that won the Cup due to their clinical finishing that yielded five goals.


As in previous rounds of the competition Cirencester Manager, John Brough, made changes to the team that started the league match on Saturday – on this occasion six - so that he could involve other players in the squad to maintain a level of fitness for all. 

Yate Town, who are currently in 7th place in the Premier Division table, made four changes to their starting eleven from the side that took on Swindon Supermarine at the weekend.


The Centurions began very positively as they mounted a couple of attacks that led to them putting the ball in the back of the net within the first eleven minutes but both were disallowed due to an ‘offside’ flag. 

The first came about after a Yate attack, as a pass intended for Ricardo Rees was intercepted by Jordan Morris and sent downfield to Ben Whitehead who headed it on to Josh Parsons and he returned it to a charging Morris who took it to the left corner before crossing to the far post where Parsons arrived to head into the net via the underside of the crossbar.

A few minutes later as Cirencester were working the right flank an attempt to switch play to the left flank was cut out by Sam Turl who made ground down the right channel before a timely tackle from Ellis Dunton stopped him in his tracks and as the ball was played up to Parsons he was fouled on the edge of the centre circle. Mike Pook quickly sent the kick to Whitehead who immediately moved it on to Aidan Bennett as he turned on the centre front edge of the Yate box and tucked it inside of the right post.

Yate responded with a break down their right channel as Luke Hopper fed Turl who crossed into the Cirencester penalty area where Rees attempted an overhead kick that was cleared at the far-left post.

Several minutes later a Cirencester attack reached the left corner for Morris’s cross to be deflected for a corner kick that Nick Hancock delivered to the near post. A Yate player covering this post nearly headed it into his own net but ‘keeper Andrew Hannah reacted quickly to block. 

As the mid-point of the half approached Ollie Mehew exchanged passes with Hopper in the left channel of the Cirencester penalty area and attempted to ‘chip’ keeper Alex Harris who caught the ball. 

Shortly afterwards Mehew supplied Hopper, left channel of the area, and he fired over the bar but a few moments later Yate were back as they worked the ball across the front edge of the Cirencester box with several players involved – resulting in a free kick to them a few yards outside the box, right channel. JOE TUMELTY stepped forward and struck a precise, right footed curling kick that clipped the inside top right corner of the post on its way into the net.  1-0. 

Encouraged by their breakthrough Yate were back again on the half-hour as a Sam Kamara shot led to a corner kick that eventually was sent to the back post for a scramble, followed by another scramble and corner kick that was defended. 

As Cirencester worked the ball down their left flank, to half-way, an attempted a cross-field pass was intercepted for Yate to counter to the centre front edge of the Ciren box where LUKE HOPPER exchanged passes with Mehew before tucking the ball inside the left post.  2-0.   

Two minutes later Aidan Bennett challenged for a ball near the centre front edge of the Yate box and having won it sent a low shot inside the right post as Hannah advanced to close him down – once again the ‘goal’ was disallowed for a foul in the approach play. 

As the half drew to a close Cirencester were pressing to win a couple of corner kicks but both were defended at the near post.

Half Time:   2-0

Cirencester made the worst possible start to the second period as they conceded a goal within two minutes of their kick-off. 

Almost immediately Cirencester lost the ball for Yate to counter to the right by-line where Rees laid the ball back to a supporting JOSEPH HALL as he burst into the right channel of the box to drive it into the net.  3-0.

A few minutes later Yate worked the ball forward for Tumelty to shoot from the right channel, 20 yards out, and his effort struck the top left corner of the woodwork before being cleared. 

It wasn’t long before Yate were back again as Rees played the ball up to Mehew on the centre front edge of the Cirencester box but seeing his way blocked he slipped the ball to his left for a supporting RICARDO REES to finish from left of the Penalty Spot. The Referee had spotted a foul in the build-up but had waved ‘play-on’ so a Penalty Kick would have been awarded had the ball not finished in the net.  4-0.

Despite the score-line Cirencester continued to push forward – nothing to lose – and after Jake Mawford and Hancock combined on the right flank the cross to the far post was headed by Bennett back towards the right post where Hannah made the catch at full stretch.

Around the hour mark Cirencester were pressing hard searching for a way into the game as they worked the ball from right to left but Yate were closing all avenues.

Shortly before the mid-point they were still trying and after several passes the hard-working Tom Handley had a pot at goal from just outside the Yate box but once again Hannah made the save at his left post.

Cirencester continued in this manner with no break-through and as the game entered the final 15 minutes Mehew intercepted a back pass and after being forced wide by ‘keeper Harris he laid the ball into the path of JAMES HARDING who drove it into the empty net.  5-0.

Four minutes later Josh Nelmes delivered a superb pass to the right-side edge of the Yate box where Levi Irving collected, moved left before moving the ball on to Tommy Anderson who shot from the centre front edge of the box – saved by Hannah diving to his left. 

As a cross from the Cirencester left flank was sent into the Yate box the ball was played back to Hannah, perhaps inadvertently, and a Penalty Kick awarded. Jake Mawford stepped forward and struck his kick towards the left post where Hannah dived to push it around the post and from the resulting corner kick Dunton’s header was cleared from the goal-line. 

It was obviously one of those nights for Cirencester but they continued to press for a consolation goal until the final whistle as Handley fired over the top left corner after several players had been involved in the build-up and he also sent a well weighted pass down the right channel for Irving that brought Hannah out of his area to head clear.

Full Time:   5-0 

An entertaining game that started encouragingly for Cirencester, with periods of flowing football, but Yate’s clinical finishing won the day and they deservedly won the Cup.



Attendance:    150                             Referee:       Thomas Staten 


Yate Town:

    1.     Andrew Hannah
    2.     Sam Turl
    3.     William Tunnicliff
    4.     Sam Kamara     ©
    5.     Liam Angel 
    6.     Nick Rhodes  
    7.     Joseph Hall                                          46
   17.     Joseph Tumelty                                   27
    9.     Ricardo Rees                                        52
   10.    Ollie Mehew
   11.     Luke Hopper                                         38 

   12.     Mark Thuo                                 (Nick Rhodes-66mins)
   13.     Daniel Brabham
   14.     Matthew Bower
   15.     Andy Lewis                                 (Joseph Tumelty-62mins)
   16.     James Harding                           (Luke Hopper-62mins) 75      


Cirencester Town:

   1.     Alex Harris
   2.     Tom Handley
   3.     Jordan Morris
   4.     Nick Hancock     ©
   5.     Josh Nelmes
   6.     Ellis Dunton
   7.     Jake Mawford  
  18.     Mike Pook
   9.     Ben Whitehead
  10.     Josh Parsons
  11.     Aidan Bennett

  12.     Shayne Anson
  14.     Tommy Anderson                      (Josh Parsons-73mins)
  15.     Levi Irving                                  (Ben Whitehead-46mins)
  16.     Joe Turley                                  (Nick Hancock-60mins)                                   
  17.     Joe Shepherd

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022