skip to content

Pitching In Southern League

Division 1 South


Cirencester Town  1 - 1  Frome Town



Click photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Match photos supplied by Graham Hill

Match report by Dave Pyzer


Following their two successive cup ties Cirencester returned to League action with a home fixture against Frome Town in a 2nd v 3rd place encounter with both teams having identical match records after 4 games (W 3 – D 1 = 10 points) and after a positive opening from the hosts the visitors responded to produce a very competitive match that maintained their identical match statistics.


Whilst Cirencester were successful in their cup tie against Premier Division Stratford Town on Tuesday it came at a cost with three added to the injury list – Tommy Anderson, Aidan Bennett and Mike Pook - so once again the depth of the squad would be tested in this early season top end clash.


The home side kicked off playing towards The Arena end of the ground with an attack to the left corner before switching to the right as Jake Lee supplied Levi Irving who slipped the ball inside to Ben Whitehead, on the edge of the penalty area. A quick turn and shot from Whitehead that was safely gathered by ‘keeper James Carey. A positive start.

 Frome responded through James Ollis and were awarded a corner kick when Joseph O’Loughlin’s shot was blocked.

After this initial salvo from both sides Cirencester began to take control of possession as they pressed and probed across the pitch for several minutes but were unable to test the ‘keeper due to a well organised defence.

With a dozen minutes on the clock Jordan Morris made a strong down the left flank to the corner, twisting and turning his marker en-route before crossing to the near post and when it was cleared and a counter attack mounted he was called into action in his own penalty area as he turned a low cross from O’Loughlin behind to concede another corner kick.  

At the mid-point of the half Whitehead set off down the centre of the pitch but was pulled back and the culprit, Marcus Mapstone, awarded a Yellow Card.

During the next ten minutes Cirencester tried both flanks with Josh Parsons reaching the left by-line and chasing after a Lee pass into the visitor’s box to force an urgent clearance. A minute later Parsons was also on the end of another cross from Morris to the back post but his header landed on the top of the net.

As Cirencester were pushing forward Irving embarked on a run down the left channel evading three challenges as he went but it all came to nothing when he was adjudged to have fouled an opponent as he neared the by-line.

As the half was drawing to a close a Frome free kick from their right flank bobbed about in the home box until Lee cleared it from near his goal-line leading to a counter attack to the right corner.

Moments before the interval as Cirencester worked the ball forward Nick Hancock played a clever ‘dinked’ pass into the Frome area, right channel – 10 yards out, for JOSH PARSONS to tuck inside the left post.  1-0.     

There was still time for home ‘keeper Alex Harris to catch a volleyed effort from Ollis and Parsons to jink along the edge of the Frome area before having his shot blocked.

Half Time:   1-0

Both sides started the second half positively as Jack Witcombe crossed from the right corner for Harris to collect, and Morris played the ball down the left flank for Whitehead to chase – Carey darting from his box to clear.

The game was beginning to pick up pace as Jonathan Davies attempted to bustle his way through the home defence with several blocks as he worked his way into the home area and then another strong run from Morris to reach the left corner before sending the ball forward to Parsons, right channel – 6 yards out, but his shot was deflected for a corner kick.

The game was becoming ‘end-to-end’ as a Morris cross was pushed off Whitehead’s head by Carey and Matthew Smith’s cross was blocked by Joe Turley.  

Around the hour Whitehead produced an overhead kick from the edge of the 6-yard box that cleared the bar (but he was deemed to be ‘offside’) and Rex Mannings struck a fierce shot towards the top left corner that required a tremendous save from Harris, leaping to his right, to keep out.

This encouraged the visitors and Cirencester were under intense pressure for a couple of minutes – ending when Smith’s shot was parried and gathered by Harris.   

Cirencester responded with a neat exchange of passes – Irving (centre - 25 yards out) to Ross Gabriel (left channel front edge of the visitor’s box), back to Irving (right channel – 12 yards out) who directed his shot towards the far-left post – diverted for a corner kick.

As the game entered the final stages it was becoming more tense with Frome increasing the pressure and Cirencester defending with determination.

Martin Lenihan had a low shot saved by Harris, Archie Thayer a shot blocked and Witcombe sent his cross towards the far-left post over the bar.

Despite the pressure Cirencester were still having their moments as a free kick into the Frome box was sent over the bar by Josh Nelmes and he followed this up with a fierce strike from 30 yards that was caught by Carey.

In the 89th minute (discounting stoppages) Cirencester were awarded a couple of corner kicks and this led to a counter attack from Frome as Ollis collected the ball and charged down the right flank to reach the by-line – despite the attentions of a couple of defenders.

Once there he shaped to cross and Harris dived forward in anticipation of cutting-out the cross only to palm the ball into his own net. An OWN GOAL in the 90th scheduled minute.  1-1.

An additional 6 minutes was played with both sides defending their penalty areas with determination.

 Full Time:   1-1

An entertaining game with both teams working hard to obtain a result but ultimately cancelling one another out.

Cirencester had the better of the first half but Frome came back in the second to secure a share of the points.


Attendance:     197                                                       Referee:   Thomas Staten


Cirencester Town:

 1.         Alex Harris                                          90 (OG)
 2.        Shayne Anson
 3.        Jordan Morris
 4.        Joe Turley
 5.        Jake Lee     ©
 6.        Ellis Dunton
 7.        Joe Shepherd
 8.        Nick Hancock
 9.        Ben Whitehead
10.        Josh Parsons                                        44
11.        Levi Irving

12.        Josh Nelmes                             (Nick Hancock-77mins)
14.        Ross Gabriel                             (Ben Whitehead-62mins)
15.        Tom Handley                            (Josh Parsons-86mins)
16.        James Mortimer-Jones
17.        Kevin Sawyer  (GK)


Frome Town:

 1.         James Carey
 3.        Joseph O’Loughlin
14.        Marcus Mapstone
 4.        Samuel Teale     ©
19.        Alex Hallett
 2.        Jack Witcombe
 7.        Jonathan Davies
 8.        George Rigg
18.        James Ollis
 6.        Christopher Peck
16.        Rex Mannings

20.       Archie Thayer                          (Christopher Peck-76mins)      
10.        Jake Jackson
15.        Martin Lenihan                         (Alex Hallett-76mins)
13.        Daniel Greaves
12.        Matthew Smith                        (George Rigg-46mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022