skip to content



The Emirates FA Cup

Preliminary Round


Roman Glass St George  0 - 2  Cirencester Town


Match report by Dave Pyzer


The Centurions made the comparatively short trip to Almondsbury for a Preliminary Round fixture in The Emirates FA Cup against ROMAN GLASS ST GEORGE of the Hellenic League - Premier Division and after scoring within the first couple of minutes they sealed victory with a second just past the hour mark.

For the third match in succession Cirencester Manager John Brough was able to name the same starting eleven, and for the first time this season he was able to include Tom Handley and Jordan Morris.


On the way to the ground there had been a heavy downpour but Cirencester kicked off in perfect conditions to initially attack down their left flank but when play switched to the right Tommy Anderson was knocked to the ground to be awarded a free kick, 35-yards out, that he delivered to the far post. The kick was defended but pressure from the visitors resulted in the ball being played across the front edge of the home 6-yard box and the alert TOMMY ANDERSON darted forward to rob the defender as he received the ball and promptly despatched it inside the far left post as ‘keeper Ross Grimshaw closed him down.  0-1.

Almost immediately a ‘shell-shocked’ home side lost the ball from the re-start enabling Cirencester to attack the right flank to win a corner kick that resulted in an Aidan Bennett shot being blocked to be recycled for Nick Peare to deliver a cross from the left to the far post where Shayne Anson’s header was caught by Grimshaw. What a start for The Centurions.

Recovering their composure The Glass mounted an attack to their right corner as the speedy Tyrone Tucker-Dixon charged forward to deliver a low cross for Shacquille Smith to shoot – blocked, rebounding to Nekeel Plummer who also had his shot blocked.

Three minutes later Jack Durrant headed the ball into the path of Tucker-Dixon who again made ground but miss-hit his strike enabling ‘keeper Alex Harris to collect.    

Cirencester responded as Josh Parsons cut right to work the ball along the front edge of the home box but his shot was blocked, however they were soon back again leading to a free kick and a shot from Peare that Grimshaw pushed around his left post.  

A free kick for the home side, 10 yards inside the Cirencester half – left flank, was sent towards the penalty spot by Kristian Miller for Liam Harding to produce a glancing header that passed wide of the right post.

By the mid-point of the half Bennett had fired narrowly over the top right corner - after Joe Shepherd had won the ball with a strong tackle in the centre circle – Elliott Keightley had had a shot blocked, Anderson had sent a low cross through the front edge of the 6-yard box and Peare had fired into the side netting from a narrow angle.

A short-corner routine followed shortly afterwards – Anderson to Parsons, back to Anderson, cross to the far post where Anson’s header was blocked but broke to Peare who struck a fierce shot over the bar.

Play continued in much the same pattern – Cirencester attack, Roman Glass defend – but in the five minutes before the interval the home side caused some concern to the visitors as first Miller had a shot from the edge of the penalty area tipped over the bar by Harris and Luke Johnson latched onto a pass behind the Cirencester back-line to lob the advancing Harris but it landed on the top of the net.

Half Time:   0-1

Within minutes of the re-start Cirencester were awarded a free kick, left side edge of the home box, that was punched clear just above Ellis Dunton’s head to be recycled to the right corner – eventually resulting in a corner kick and a counter attack as Tucker-Dixon released Miller into the left channel of the Cirencester box. The resulting low left footed shot was saved by Harris at his right post and the corner kick cleared.

During the next ten minutes Bennett was played in by Parsons but his shot was blocked and Tucker-Dixon had two pots at goal – one over the bar and the other into the arms of Harris.

Just after the hour mark Harris launched a free kick from inside his half to Shepherd (right channel 25 yards out), back to Peare, forward to Parsons (left channel front edge of the home box) who slipped it into the left channel of the box for LEVI IRVING to confidently tuck inside the far-right post with his first touch of the ball since replacing Bennett.  0-2.

With their two-goal ‘cushion’ Cirencester were able to press as Jake Lee shot over the bar, Peare had a header caught by Grimshaw, Dunton had a header blocked and Peare ‘bent’ a free kick wide of the right post.

Eight minutes from time a fierce strike from 30 yards by Peare was parried by Grimshaw and the rebound cleared before anyone could latch onto it.

As the game was drawing to a close it became a little fractious due to players becoming frustrated with some inconsistent decisions from the Referee and this led to the dismissal of Cirencester Manager John Brough and Kristian Miller of the home side.

Full Time:   0-2

An all-round solid performance from Cirencester who dominated possession against opponents that looked dangerous on the counter but were not given much room when they neared the Cirencester penalty area. 


Attendance:     68                                                        Referee:   Simon Turner


Cirencester Town:

 1.        Alex Harris
 2.        Shayne Anson
 3.        Elliott Keightley
 4.        Joe Turley
 5.        Jake Lee     ©
 6.        Ellis Dunton
 7.        Tommy Anderson                                  2
 8.        Nick Peare
 9.        Aidan Bennett
10.       Josh Parsons
11.       Joe Shepherd

12.        Josh Nelmes
14.        Mike Pook
15.        Ross Gabriel
16.        Tom Handley                                       
17.        Jordan Morris                          (Elliott Keightley-28mins)
18.        Levi Irving                                (Aidan Bennett-62mins) 63
19         Kevin Sawyer (GK)


Roman Glass St George:

 1.         Ross Grimshaw
 2.        Jack Trott
 3.        Louis Ward
 4.        Jack Durrant
 5.        Liam Harding
 6.        Ollie Woodhouse     ©
 7.        Tyrone Tucker-Dixon
 8.        Kristian Miller
 9.        Nekeel Plummer
10.        Shacquille Smith
11.        Luke Johnson

12.        Harvey Tierney           
14.        Robbie Cox                               (Jack Trott-78mins)
15.        Jasper Hudd
16.        Troy Simpson

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022