skip to content

Pre-Season Friendly

Cirencester Town  0 - 1  Bath City


Match report by Dave Pyzer


BATH CITY of the National League South were the latest visitors to The Corinium Stadium for a Pre-Season Friendly match and as the interval was approaching it was a superb strike from Elliott Frear that proved enough to secure victory for The Romans.


The game was played at a good tempo throughout, as the teams search for match fitness before the serious stuff begins, and in the first minute Bath created a good chance down their right flank but a 'scuffed' shot was safely gathered by home custodian Alex Harris.

Cirencester responded as Levi Irving pulled the ball back from the left by-line for Ross Gabriel who fired wide of the left post.

This early action became the pattern of the match as both sides provided free-flowing football in their search for an opening goal and such was the commitment on display Levi Irving managed a somersault over the side fencing as he chased after a ball.

The visitors won a number of corner kicks but The Centurions defence held firm to reply with counter attacks that often reached The Romans box but were unable to find an end product.

Eight minutes from the scheduled interval the deadlock was finally broken when ELLIOTT FREAR intercepted a cross-field pass 10 yards inside the home half, right channel, and quickly made ground before unleashing a fierce strike from 25 yards that clipped the inside of the right post on its way into the back of the net.  0-1.

Cirencester reacted very well to this setback as Elliott Keightley crossed from the right flank for Gabriel to head wide of the left post from near the penalty spot and this was soon followed by Gabriel heading the ball on to release Irving to the right by-line where he delivered a low cross to the near post for a fast-arriving Nick Hancock to fire past the post under pressure.

Half Time:   0-1

The second half started at a similar pace with Cirencester being awarded a couple of free kicks that came to nought and Bath enjoying a period of ‘keep-ball’ without really making any progress and then on the hour the substitutions began which had little impact on the pace and style of the game. 

When Bath reached the home box a determined defence blocked any resulting shots and initiated counter attacks that the visitors defence also dealt with comfortably. 

 As the game was drawing to a close Aidan Bennett closed down substitute ‘keeper James Walker and his hasty clearance reached Tommy Anderson who instantly had a pot at goal from 40 yards but it was wide of the left post. 

On the stroke of full time Bennett battled to keep the ball on the edge of the Bath penalty area before slipping it to a supporting Joe Shepherd but his resulting shot was saved by Walker to ensure The Romans victory.

Full Time:   0-1

For the home side there were several encouraging performances as Jake Lee and Josh Nelmes proved stubborn in defence and Levi Irving prominent up-front. 

Another good work-out as the season approaches.


Referee:   Dale Wootton



Alex Harris, Elliott Keightley, Jordan Morris (Will Taylor 71), Nick Peare (Michael Pook 62), Josh Nelmes (Ellis Dunton 71), Jake Lee, Joe Selman, Nick Hancock (C) (Tommy Anderson 75), Ross Gabriel (Aidan Bennett 62), Levi Irving, Harrison Bennett (Joe Shepherd 71).


Ryan Clarke (C) (James Walker 46), James Taylor (Joe Raynes 75), Callum Wood (Lloyd James 71), Omar Holness (Harley Prior 59), Dan Ball, Will Richards, Tom Richards (Ryan Harley 28), Alex Fletcher, Cody Cooke (Jayden Neilson 59), Tom Smith, Elliott Frear.

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022