skip to content

Pre-Season 2021-22



Match Report by Dave Pyzer


The annual pre-season friendly match between the near neighbours resulted in victory for the home side in what was a competitive match of 'end-to-end' football despite the exceedingly hot conditions - a good test for their fitness levels at this early stage.

The visitors started quickly with Brad Gray firing wide of the left post after Tommy Anderson released him into the right channel of the home area and Ellis Dunton heading over at the near post from a right wing corner.

Fairford responded with a quick counter attack as Danny Gudger struck a fierce shot from the right side of the Cirencester penalty area that brought a fine save from Alex Harris as he pushed the ball over his crossbar.

Encouraged Fairford worked the ball to their left flank for Gudger to cross towards the far post where GEORGE PEARE arrived to send a looping header over Harris and inside the left post to open the scoring.  1-0

It took 2 minutes for Cirencester to reply as Nick Peare sent a raking pass to the right corner where Anderson slipped it inside to BRAD GRAY who struck a fierce shot from the right channel of the home penalty area that flew into the net. 1-1.

It was now game on as both sides settled into their shapes with attack and counter attack and just before the first Drinks Break Miles Arnold embarked on a 20-yard run that ended with a shot over the Cirencester crossbar from 25 yards.

Around the half-hour mark Levi Irving worked hard to retain the ball as he moved from right to left across the front edge of the home penalty area and into the left channel to send a low cross to Gray, right of the penalty spot, but the resulting shot was blocked by a defender.

Once again Fairford reacted as Lodge crossed from the right side edge of the Cirencester box for G. Peare to head goalwards but it struck Gudger and rebounded back to him but his follow-up strike was saved by Harris.

The final goalmouth action of the half saw G.Peare fire an Arnold volley pass wide of the right post.

Half Time:  1-1

During the interval Cirencester made wholesale changes whilst Fairford replaced Danny Gudger with Ross Langworthy.

Within 5 minutes Robbie James sent a 50 yard pass down the left channel for Ross Langworthy to collect but Shayne Anson was on hand to stop any further progress.

A minute later the action was at the other end of the pitch as Aidan Bennett chased and collected a pass near the right front corner of the home box before cutting back onto his left foot to send a firm strike goalwards for Jones to save at his left post.

Shortly after the second Drinks Break Fairford  worked the ball across the pitch to the right corner for Thompson to deliver a fine cross to the back post where ROSS LANGWORTHY sent a firm header inside the left post.  2-1.       

Cirencester responded immediately as the Trialist on the left wing sent a cross into the home box from the corner towards the penalty spot where Jake Lee headed towards the right post. The Fairford left back blocked the effort on the line with a strong shout from the away support near that post for 'hand-ball' but play continued and the danger was cleared. 

As the game was drawing to a close Cirencester pressed but solid defending from Fairford ensured victory was theirs.

Full Time:  2-1

A good work-out for both sides in the extreme heat as they search for fitness with some neat football on display in a competitive match.



Jones, Humphreys, R.James (c), Parker, M. Arnold (B.Langworthy 62), D.Bailey (Turner-Williams 55), I.Herring (Beardsell 55), Brennan, Gudger (R.Langworthy 45), Lodge (M. Thompson), G.Peare.



First Half:   

Alex Harris, Trialist, Trialist, Ellis Dunton, Jordan Morris, Nick Hancock, Nick Peare, Tommy Anderson, Brad Gray, Levi Irving, Trialist.

Second Half:

Alex Harris, Elliott Keightley, Shayne Anson, Jake Lee, Tom Handley, Tommy Anderson, Nick Hancock, Joe Turley, Aidan Bennett, Ross Gabriel, Trialist.

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2021