skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Cirecester Vape
  • Clarity Solutions
  • SpecSavers
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Spire House
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Sollertis
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Total Teamwear

The Buildbase FA Trophy 2020/21

Second Round Qualifying


Thame United  4 – 1  Cirencester Town 

Match Report by Dave Pyzer

Cirencester travelled to Oxfordshire to face Southern League – Division 1 Central opponents Thame United in the Second Qualifying Round of the Buildbase FA Trophy and in an eventful first half conceded a goal within 3 minutes, levelled, fell behind again and conceded two more minutes before the interval to bring their ‘Trophy’ journey to an end for this season.

Thame United currently sit in 10th place in their Division having obtained 7 points from the 6 league matches they have played. 

Following last week’s first defeat in the league Manager John Brough made a couple of changes for this fixture as Nick Hancock came into midfield resulting in Josh Nelmes moving into the centre of defence and Shayne Anson to right back.


The home side kicked-off in perfect conditions for football and immediately launched the ball to their left corner where Shayne Anson dealt with the threat and initiated a counter attack down Cirencester’s right flank that involved a number of passes as they worked the ball forward leading to a cross from Brad Gray that ‘keeper Chris Rackley safely caught.

Moments later the home side were awarded a free kick, as they worked their right flank, that led to a throw-in for Thame in their left corner and eventually the ball reached GREG HACKETT at the far post and he volleyed home from a few yards.  1-0.  

Cirencester reacted well to the setback as Brad Gray headed a free kick narrowly wide of the right post and had another shot parried by Rackley, before crossing from the left channel of the home area for Tommy Anderson to head towards the left post – where it was scrambled clear.

At this stage Gray was a magnet for the ball and when it was sent up to him, near the centre 30 yards out, his initial header took the pace out of it and he then headed it again before controlling, turning and supplying JOSH PARSONS, near the penalty spot, who back to goal turned sharply to create room for a right footed strike that Rackley parried but could not prevent entering his net.  1-1.   

The busy Gray then attempted a surprise long range shot from 35 yards that was blocked by Rackley and whilst it appeared to be ‘game-on’ the visitors regained the lead after a similar build-up to their opening goal. A free kick from half-way, right channel, again led to a throw-in on their left flank and this time the ball was collected by LYNTON GOSS who wasted no time in firing it inside the far-right post from the left channel front edge of the Cirencester penalty area.  2-1.  

During the next ten minutes Thame really pressed forward in an attempt to ‘kill-off’ the game and the Cirencester defence was severely worked but on the half hour it appeared the visitors had weathered the storm as they began to produce attacks of their own but the resulting crosses were too close to Rackley who made several comfortable catches.

Thame responded as Dan West volleyed well wide following a swift counter and Goss had the ball nicked off his toe by Ellis Dunton to start a counter that led to Parsons shot being blocked but as the Cirencester rally looked to gain momentum Thame scored two goals in two minutes just before the interval.

The first came about fairly fortuitously as an intercept on half-way was quickly sent down the right channel where it was deflected into the path of a gambling Hackett, who was darting in behind the Ciren defence, and he drew ‘keeper Dan Lawrence before slipping it to a supporting RYAN BLAKE who finished from close range.  3-1.    

As Cirencester were still recovering from the shock David Lynn sent the ball down the home sides left flank to Blake who laid it off to GREG HACKETT and he worked his way along the front edge of the Ciren box before unleashing a fierce strike from near the centre that Lawrence could only partially block.  4-1.

Half Time:  4-1 

During the interval Cirencester made two substitutions as Josh Nelmes and Nick Hancock were replaced by Archie Brennan and new signing Jordan Simpson.

Straight from the re-start Gray received the ball in the right corner and won a corner kick that was deflected to the opposite corner and then cleared from there.

A few minutes later Archie Brennan delivered a pass down the right touchline to release Gray to the corner where he sent a low cross through the front edge of the 6-yard box without contact but it was recycled and as it was being fed back to the right flank it was intercepted by Blake who charged down the home sides left flank before moving it on to Goss.

Four minutes later Goss’s involvement came to a premature end as when he cut in from the left corner towards the penalty area a firm tackle stopped his progress and his momentum resulted in him landing awkwardly – injuring his shoulder.

On the hour Parsons slipped the ball to Anderson as he looped behind him, to collect left of the penalty spot, and Rackley diverted his left footed shot for a corner kick that was defended and moved on to the energetic Hackett who ran some 60 yards down the right flank to cross – leading to a corner kick that was defended.

When Cirencester worked the ball forward, from left to right, Gray crossed into the box where Rackley gathered to initiate a counter as Hackett again charged to the right-side edge of the Ciren box to chip the ball narrowly wide of the far post.

Shortly after the mid-point Jenson Wright intercepted a pass near half-way and moved the ball on to Liam Tack who charged down the right channel to shoot from 25 yards – parried by Lawrence and picked up - but the central midfielder was to repeat the feat a few minutes later and this time he supplied Hackett before charging forward to be on the end of the winger’s cross – heading wide of the left post from close range.

Every time Ciren advanced the home defence stood firm to launch counter attacks through their willing runners that kept the visitors defence busy.

In the final minutes Tom Handley embarked on a driving run to the front edge of the home box where an attempted clearance bounced off him and out for a goal-kick – symptomatic of Ciren’s day.

Full Time:   4-1

On the day Cirencester were out-performed by their opponents who were well worthy of their victory.

Good Luck to them in the next round.


Attendance:     160                               Referee:          ???




 1.  Chris Rackley
 2.  Harry Mepham
 3.  David Lynn
 4.  Callum Mapley
 5.  Harry Tucker
 6.  Jenson Wright                  
 7.  Greg Hackett                                             3, 44                          
 8.  Ben Sturgess     ©
 9.  Lynton Goss                                                18
10.  Dan West  
11.  Ryan Blake                                                  43 

12.  Jack Tutton                                   (Ben Sturgess-72mins)
14.  Matt Peake-Punen
15.  Tom Ashworth
16.  Liam Tack                                      (Lynton Goss-58mins)
17.  Noah Alabi



1.     Dan Lawrence
2.     Nick Hancock     ©
3.     Tom Handley
4.     Josh Nelmes
5.     Shayne Anson
6.     Ellis Dunton
7.     Tommy Anderson
8.     Joe Turkey
9.     Brad Gray
10.   Josh Parsons                                             14
11.  Jonny Dennis 

12.  Lee Llewelyn
14.  Archie Brennan                             (Josh Nelmes-45mins)
15.  Aidan Bennett                               (Jonny Dennis-65mins)
16.  Ross Gabriel
17.  Jordan Simpson                            (N.Hancock-45mins)
18.  Felipe Dias
GK. Alex Harris

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022