skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Subway Cirencester
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • SpecSavers
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Networld Sports
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Total Teamwear


BetVictor Southern League 2019/20

Division 1 South


Frome Town  2 – 1  Cirencester Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer


Following the rain of recent days and the heavy frost earlier in the day it was inevitable that the playing surface would be very soft making it difficult for players to keep their balance whilst changing direction, tackling or passing and so it proved with a ‘scrappy’ match littered with free kicks.


The visitors have been at the top end of the league table all season and earlier in the season they defeated The Centurions at The Corinium Stadium 2-1 and in terms of current form, based on the ‘6-Match Form Guide’ table, the two sides are well matched with Cirencester 5th (11 points) and Frome 6th (10 points).


Manager John Brough made one change to the side that defeated Cinderford Town in the previous match as Toumani Sidibe replaced Jonny Dennis who was recovering from illness.


Cirencester kicked off playing up the slope but it was the home side that created the first chance to score two minutes into the game when Jonathan Davies carried the ball down the left flank before slipping it inside for Rex Mannings to cross towards an incoming Kane Simpson at the far post who sliced his effort narrowly wide. 

Five minutes later Simpson sent the ball to the right corner where an overlapping Mark Cooper collected before cutting into the area. As he progressed there were two blocks with the ball falling to Matt Smith on the centre edge of the box who attempted an overhead kick that sailed over the bar.

The home side continued to press with Cirencester mounting occasional attacks down their flanks that were quickly broken up for Frome to press again. As they pressed Simpson was slipped in down the left channel for a 1v1 with ‘keeper Lewis Clayton that the ‘keeper won as he dived at the striker’s feet.

Shortly afterwards Davies clipped the defensive wall with a free kick from just outside the Ciren box and his resulting corner kick was cleared at the near post for a counter attack to the left corner where Cirencester won a corner kick that led to a deep cross from Tommy Anderson that ‘keeper Kyle Phillips caught.

As the mid-point of the half approached there were signs that Cirencester were getting to grips with the pitch as Jordan Morris carried the ball out of defence a couple of times before delivering crosses into the home box and Brad Gray fired a free kick narrowly wide of the right post.

During the next ten minutes or so Cirencester won a couple of corner kicks from the left and Anderson broke forward to the right corner where his cross was caught by Phillips as Toumani Sidibe closed.

Another neat move down the right flank saw the ball slipped inside for Anderson to produce an instinctive back-heel flick to get past his incoming challenger but as he went after the ball he was brought down earning the culprit a Yellow Card.

As the half was drawing to a close Gray played the ball forward to Levi Irving and continued his run to collect the return pass near the centre front edge of the home box where he shot wide of the left post.

Moments into ‘added-time’ a quick counter attack from Frome sent the ball to the right channel front edge of the Cirencester box where a hasty clearance rebounded into the path of DANIEL COTTLE and he opened the scoring with a calm finish into the vacant goal.

Half Time:  1-0 

After the break Cirencester started very positively as Sidibe crossed from the left corner, but over the incoming Irving and Anderson, and then he volleyed a sharp chance over the bar from 6 yards after a determined run from Nick Hancock along the right by-line created the opening.

Almost immediately a long punt down the centre was chased by Simpson and a moment of hesitation in the Cirencester defence on the edge of the box enabled the forward to collect the ball and as he rounded the stranded Clayton he was blocked resulting in a Penalty Kick being awarded. ALEX MONKS stepped forward to smash the spot kick inside the right post as Clayton dived in the opposite direction. 

Cirencester immediately went on the offensive as Irving charged down the right flank and crossed over the home defence with Hancock collecting the ball in the left corner to send it into the mix and the clearance header reached Mike Pook who volleyed over.     

As the hour mark was reached Irving headed a Clayton punt on for Anderson to collect and dart into the home penalty area, left of the penalty spot, where he was brought down for a Penalty Kick to be awarded. MIKE POOK drove the spot kick inside the left post as Phillips moved to his left.    

Cirencester then worked their way down the left flank as Will Tunnicliff exchanged passes with Jack Freeman for the latter to cross into the box where Irving headed wide of the right post. 

With the bit between their teeth Cirencester continued to press forward and a repeat of the Clayton to Irving and head on once again released the speedy Anderson but this time the resulting foul tackle was adjudged to be outside the home box. The free kick deflected off the ‘wall’ for a corner kick. 

With 15 scheduled minutes remaining a strong challenge from Monks on Hancock resulted in a second Yellow Card for the Frome man followed by the obligatory Red Card.   

Cirencester pressed forward with their extra man advantage and the home side defended resolutely and countered quickly with one such move a ball launched down the right channel for Smith to chase and this brought Clayton out of his area but the two collided as the ‘keeper missed his clearance kick resulting in a free kick to Cirencester much to the annoyance of home support. 

In the final minutes Freeman fired over and Gray fired wide of the target as the home side held on to take the 3 points on offer. 

Full Time:   2-1 

A disappointing result for Cirencester who certainly tested their high-flying opponents.



Attendance:  233                               


Referee:   Shane Mansfield      



 1.   Kyle Phillips
 2.   Mark Cooper
14.  Warren Maidment
 4.   Sam Teale     ©
 5.   Marcus Mapstone  
17.  Alex Monks                                               52p
16.  Rex Mannings
11.  Matthew Smith
 7.   Jonathan Davies
18.  Daniel Cottle                                              46
 9.   Kane Simpson

 8.   Robert Hobbs                                 (Kane Simpson-72mins)
15.  Martin Lenihan
20.  Rory Gorman
 3.  Joe O’Loughlin                                (Daniel Cottle-69mins)
 6.  Chris Peck                                      (Warren Maidment-77mins)                




1.   Lewis Clayton
2.   Jordan Morris
3.   Will Tunnicliff
4.   Michael Pook     ©                                       61p
5.   Josh Nelmes
6.   Will Wellon
7.   Toumani Sidibe
8.   Nick Hancock
9.   Levi Irving
10.  Bradley Gray
11.  Tommy Anderson 

12.  Jack Freeman                                (Toumani Sidibe-56mins)
14.  Jordan Murray      
15.  John Dennis
16.  Lewis Thompson                             (Nick Hancock-80mins)
17.  Lewis Spurrier         

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022