skip to content

BetVictor Southern League 2019/20

Division 1 South


Moneyfields  0 – 0  Cirencester Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer


Cirencester made the long journey to Portsmouth for a mid-week league match against Moneyfields who were one place and one point below them with a game in hand - so everything to play for.

Manager Charlie Griffin decided to make a couple of changes to the starting line-up, as he expected a very tough physical contest, bringing in James Mortimer-Jones for his first league start of the season, and moving Shayne Anson to right back so that Will Wellon could return in the centre of defence alongside Adam Connolly.


Moneyfields kicked off proceedings and came out of the blocks very quickly as they worked the ball across the pitch to the right corner where Will Tunnicliff managed to start a counter attack but it wasn't long before they were back again with both their fullbacks encouraged to make runs down their respective flanks to the corners to press Cirencester who defended the initial threats.

As the ten minute mark approached Will Wellon cleared the ball downfield in the direction of Alan Griffin and this resulted in a ‘throw-in’ in the right corner followed by a corner kick. Jack Freeman’s corner kick was initially cleared but returned to him so he sent a deep cross to the far post where Shayne Anson darted forward but was unable to make clean contact with the ball.

The visitors were warming to their task and for the next ten minutes they pressed the home defence who eased the pressure by launching a long clearance down their left flank to Stephen Hutchings who tried an ambitious shot from 30 yards that 'keeper Lewis Clayton parried wide of his goal for a supporting Joe Briggs to collect and after the ball was re-cycled back to their left flank he also got on the end of the resulting cross to head into the waiting arms of Clayton.

Shortly after the mid-point of the half Freeman produced some great footwork to break free and reach the left channel of the home area where he slipped the ball left to John Dennis who cut right to work an opening before shooting towards the far right post where a defender headed off the goal-line, leading to a counter attack through Briggs.

A few minutes later the busy Freeman created room for a firm low shot from the right front corner of the home area but Jake Hallett saved at his left post.

Into the final 10 minutes of the half Cirencester pressed again through Dennis who drove into the left channel of the home penalty area before shooting – blocked and cleared downfield – and as the interval loomed the home side began to threaten with Adam Connolly making a terrific block on the edge of the Cirencester penalty area to prevent Lewis Fennemore making further progress.

This was soon followed by a fierce drive from Hutchings that Clayton managed to parry round his post for a corner kick.

The final action of the half was a strong run from Freeman who received the ball from Dennis inside his own half before charging to the left corner to cross – unfortunately too strong for his team-mates to latch onto it.

Half Time:  0-0

The opening few minutes of the second half were fairly uneventful as neither side retained the ball for long but 6 minutes in Ollie Artwell put a defender under pressure as he shaped to head back to Hallett resulting in a corner kick that was defended.

Shortly afterwards Tunnicliff set Tommy Ouldridge free to charge 20 yards down the left channel before slipping the ball to Freeman who crossed into the home box – corner kick. The ‘corner’ was headed out of immediate danger to Artwell who promptly slipped it left to Freeman who struck a firm shot at the target but en-route it was deflected – looping into the air and dropping just over the cross-bar. A series of corner kicks followed but no break-through with a surprisingly advanced James Mortimer-Jones involved a couple of times.

The game became 'end-to-end' but with contrasting styles of play as Cirencester worked the ball forward with pass & support football whilst their hosts had a more direct approach as they launched balls to Hutchings, Briggs or Rhys Lloyd.

Around the hour mark Conor Bailey launched a couple of long balls to Hutchings – the first of which he laid back to Briggs who crossed into the Cirencester penalty area, and the second Hutchings produced a dipping header that landed on the top of the net just behind the top left corner.

As the mid-point arrived Griffin released Artwell for a strong run down the centre and as he reached the front edge of the home area he cut left to create room for a shot that was diverted for a corner kick that reached Anson at the back post who headed back into the mix, followed by a shot on the turn from Griffin – blocked - but cleared to Ouldridge who fired wide of the left post.

Moneyfields responded as Hutchings released Lloyd to the left corner – ‘throw-in’, followed by a cross from Bailey and a shot from Lloyd that was also wide of the left post.

As the game entered the final 15 minutes Hutchings laid the ball back to a supporting Fennemore who struck his left footed shot straight into the grateful arms of Clayton.

The Cirencester ‘keeper then forced his opposite number into a fine save as he sent a free kick from 10 yards inside his own half, left touchline,  towards the top right corner of the Moneyfields goal where a back-pedalling Hallett managed to push it over his bar. 

With 6 minutes of normal time remaining Fennemore crossed from the left corner towards the far post and as Cirencester defended there were strong shouts from the box for a penalty kick but the Referee ignored them to award a corner kick. The kick was cleared to Artwell who collected some 30 yards from goal, left channel, and embarked on a driving run to the edge of the penalty area where he fired over the bar with his left foot.   

In ‘added-time’ Mortimer-Jones was involved in action at both ends of the pitch as he headed a corner kick at one end onto the roof of the net whilst cutting-out a cross from Jake Raine at the other.

Full Time:   0-0

A solid team performance with plenty of effort and commitment.

Whilst Cirencester came close several times Manager Charlie Griffin would undoubtedly be pleased to come away with a point and clean sheet after a solid defensive display against strong opponents - after a run of three defeats in the league.



Attendance:  64                                  

Referee:   Ciaran Fidler            



1.   Jake Hallett
2.   Connor York
3.   Conor Bailey
4.   Jake Raine
5.   Brett Poate
6.   Jamie Ford
7.   Joseph Briggs
8.   Lewis Fennemore
9.   Rhys Lloyd
10.  Stephen Hutchings     (C)
11.  Connor Hoare

12.  George Root
14.  Lamin Jatta
15.  Adam Hatton
16.  Justin Delon
17.   Ryan Pennery                                 (Rhys Lloyd-80mins)                



1.   Lewis Clayton
2.   Tommy Ouldridge
3.   Will Tunnicliff
4.   James Mortimer-Jones
5.   Shayne Anson
6.   Will Wellon
7.   Oliver Artwell
8.   Adam Connolly
9.   Alan Griffin     (C)
10.  Jack Freeman
11.  John Dennis

12.  Aidan Bennett                                (John Dennis-80mins)
14.  Levi Irving                          
15.  Alfie Cook
16.  Will Christopher    

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020