skip to content

BetVictor Southern League 2019/20

Division 1 South


Thatcham Town  3 – 0  Cirencester Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer



Thatcham scored two goals in a three minute burst to seize the initiative and it was enough to secure victory despite a spirited second half performance from ‘The Centurions’.


There was only one change to the starting eleven from Saturday’s home win against Bristol Manor Farm as Aidan Bennett replaced the injured Oliver Artwell.


The home side came out of the blocks quickly to press their visitors down both flanks and as a result Cirencester had to rely on counter attacks during the early stages with Aidan Bennett releasing John Dennis down the left flank to the corner and then sending a great pass into the path of Josh Parsons as he burst down the centre to dribble the ball to the edge of the home penalty area where he shot at goal but ‘keeper Paul Strudley was in position to make the catch.

Thatcham responded to win a corner kick from the left that also resulted in a counter as Parsons fed Jack Freeman who in turn released Dennis down the right flank.

At this stage the game was well balanced with the home side pressing and Cirencester countering but it all changed in the 16th minute when a loose ball near the edge of the Cirencester box led to a moment of hesitation enabling JOE SELMAN to pounce, move right and shoot into the bottom left corner.  1-0.

Three minutes later the home side scored a second when FELIPE BARCELOS harassed Will Wellon and forced him back towards his own goal before picking his pocket to fire into the top left corner from the right channel front edge of the penalty area.  2-0.

Encouraged by their success the home side pressed forward and ‘keeper Lewis Clayton had to dive across his goal to prevent Matt Day’s powerful, low, free kick from 30 yards entering the bottom left corner. 

Shortly afterwards Clayton had to dive full length to his left to push out a shot from the left channel front edge of the penalty area and as Adam Kelly closed to take advantage he managed to recover to block his effort from close range.

Thatcham were by now pressing consistently with the speed of their closing down restricting Cirencester’s options for an ‘out’ ball but as the interval neared the visitors countered down their left flank to win a free kick, 25 yards out – left channel.  Mike Pook sent the kick over the defensive wall towards the bottom left corner where Strudley scrambled across to push it away from his goal leading to a ‘throw-in’ in the left corner. Whilst Cirencester were preparing to take the throw a melee developed just inside the area which ultimately resulted in a player from each side being ‘Red Carded’ – Callum Willmoth (Thatcham) and Aidan Bennett (Cirencester).

As the half drew to a close Cirencester showed signs of working the ball better with Will Tunnicliff making ground to cross from the left flank a couple of times. 

Half Time:  2-0

After the interval Thatcham continued to press and won a series of corner kicks that Alan Griffin managed to head clear but they were soon back again with the pace of Kyle Tooze proving particularly threatening as he chased to the corners.

As the mid-point of the half approached Cirencester were beginning to keep the ball for longer and work it across the pitch looking for gaps in the home defence leading to a couple of corner kicks that reached Shayne Anson but under pressure he headed over. 

During the final quarter Cirencester enjoyed plenty of possession but they couldn’t break through the stubborn home defence and as the match was nearing its end Levi Irving did well near the centre circle, as he was up-ended, to slip the ball into the path of Jordan Morris who charged down the left channel to shoot from the edge of the box – but narrowly wide of the right post. 

As the match entered the 90th scheduled minute Thatcham were awarded a free kick, left channel - 40 yards out, that Day clipped over the ‘wall’ to the left front corner of the 6 yard box for GEORGE JEACOCK to dart forward and tuck inside the far right post.     

Full Time:   3-0 

Not a good night for Cirencester who struggled to get to grips with their opponents and picked up a number of injuries during the match.


Attendance:  153                                

Referee:   Andy Bennett           



1.   Paul Strudley
2.   Michael Miller
3.   Jordan Williams
4.   Jack Alexander
5.   Curtis Angell
6.   Matt Day     (C)
7.   Adam Kelly
8.   Callum Willmoth
9.   Kyle Tooze
10.  Felipe Barcelos                                           19
11.  Joe Selman                                                 16

12.  Samuel Barder                               (Felipe Barcelos-46mins)
14.  Scott Rees                                     (Adam Kelly-82mins)
15.  George Jeacock                             (Kyle Tooze-71mins) 90
16.  Thierry Carrington



1.   Lewis Clayton
2.   Will Christopher
3.   Will Tunnicliff
4.   Mike Pook
5.   Shayne Anson
6.   Will Wellon
7.   John Dennis
8.   Jack Freeman
9.   Alan Griffin     (C)
10.  Josh Parsons
11.  Aidan Bennett

12.  Tommy Ouldridge                           (Josh Parsons-23mins)
14.  Jordan Morris                                (John Dennis-82mins)
15.  Levi Irving                                      (Will Wellon-63mins)
16.  James Mortimer-Jones                 
17.  Tommy Anderson

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020