skip to content

The Emirates FA Cup 2019/20

Preliminary Round


Cirencester Town  5 – 0  North Greenford United

Click   photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Courtesy of Steve Rolfe Photography

Match Report by Dave Pyzer


The Centurions opened their FA Cup 2019-20 campaign with a Preliminary Round match against North Greenford United of the Spartan South Midland Football League (equivalent level to the Hellenic Premier Division) and dominated to secure a comfortable 5-0 result and entry to the next round.


Cirencester Town Manager, Charlie Griffin, kept faith with the side that produced a strong performance on Tuesday against Melksham Town by naming an unchanged starting eleven.


The ‘Blues’ kicked off on an extremely warm day and whilst they kept trying throughout they didn’t get off to the best start when SHAYNE ANSON scored with a back post header from a corner kick after 6 minutes. This came as a result of a driving run from Josh Parsons down the left channel before he switched play to the right for Oliver Artwell to take it on to the right by-line to get the corner kick.  1-0.

It wasn’t long before the score doubled as MIKE POOK delivered a corner kick from the left that deceived ‘keeper Sam House to finish in the back of his net even though he got his hands to it.  2-0.

Cirencester continued to press down both flanks and as the mid-point of the half neared North Greenford constructed a swift counter attack down their right flank that resulted in Issouf Coulibaly shooting wide of the right post.

Quite rightly the match was played in four quarters due to the heat and the visitors enjoyed their most productive period shortly after the 30 minute mark as Ryan King played the ball down the left channel to Andrew Manitou, left to Ryan Kirwan, returned to Manitou and forward to Coulibaly on the edge of the home penalty area where Anson was too strong and brought it to a halt.

North Greenford tried again a few minutes later and this time Anson took the ball off Coulibaly’s toe and a quick counter attack reached Josh Parsons who twisted & turned in the ‘Blues’ box resulting in a penalty kick that MIKE POOK confidently tucked away.  3-0.

As the half was drawing to a close the ‘Blues’ produced a move down their left flank that involved a number of players but once it reached the left corner it petered out for a goal-kick. 

In the final minutes of the half House pulled off a couple of solid saves to deny Jack Freeman and Alan Griffin. 

Half Time:  3-0

Almost immediately from the re-start the ‘Blues’ conceded again as AIDAN BENNETT sent a low ‘cross-cum-shot’ from the left channel of the visitors penalty area towards the far post and whilst a covering defender got his studs to it he couldn’t prevent it from entering his net inside the right post.  4-0. 

A few minutes later it was five as Oliver Artwell who had tormented his full back all afternoon reached the right corner to cross to the edge of the 6 yard box where Griffin volleyed against the bar from just outside the 6 yard box but JOSH PARSONS had also followed-up to smash the rebound into the net from about 8 yards.  5-0.

Either side of this goal the ‘Blues’ Marciano Dramani and Georgio Brown tested home ‘keeper Lewis Clayton who parried both efforts although Anson was called upon to clear the second from his goal-mouth. 

As the second ‘Drinks Break’ loomed a fierce Jack Freeman free kick from a position, right of centre – 35 yards out, crashed against the left post and eventually led to a corner kick that was defended.

As a contest the game was over and Cirencester Manager Charlie Griffin took the opportunity to give young striker Levi Irving some game time and he rode a couple of challenges as he reached the right corner before sending a cross towards the penalty spot that reached his co-striker Bennett who struck the bar and then fired the rebound over his shoulder, as he turned, narrowly wide of the left post.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes a glancing header from Tommy Ouldridge was just wide of the far right post and a lurking Irving nearly converted a rebound of an Ouldridge shot.

Into the final five minutes and a neat turn from Ouldridge enabled him to send a low cross through the 6 yard box as Irving closed. 

North Greenford continued to search for a consolation goal until the final whistle with Sam Molyneaux firing a free kick just wide of the right post, Dramani wide of the same post after a four pass move created the opportunity but it just wasn’t their day.

Full Time:   5-0

A game performance from the visitors but Cirencester were in the mood and dominated the match.


Attendance:  100                                

Referee:   Joshua Brookland     



1.   Lewis Clayton
2.   Will Christopher
3.   Will Tunnicliff
4.   Mike Pook                                                  12, 35p
5.   Shayne Anson                                             6
6.   Will Wellon
7.   Oliver Artwell
8.   Jack Freeman
9.   Alan Griffin     (C) 
10.  Josh Parsons                                             55
11.  Aidan Bennett                                            48

12.  John Dennis                                   (Josh Parsons-66mins)
14.  Jordan Morris                   
15.  Tommy Ouldridge                           (Mike Pook-51mins)
16.  James Mortimer-Jones
17.  Levi Irving                                      (Alan Griffin-66mins)
18.  Sam Ayres   (GK)



1.   Sam House
2.   Mark Webb
3.   Ryan Kirwan
4.   Sam Olanipekun
5.   Ryan King
6.   Emmanuel Ndukwu
7.   Georgie Brown
8.   Andrew Manitou     (C)
9.   Issouf Coulibaly
10.  Conor Molyneaux
11.  Sam Molyneaux

12.  Conor Warwick
14.  Siva Sathiyan                                 (Mark Webb-52mins)
15.  Randy Spence
16.  Marciano Dramani                          (Issouf Coulibaly-46mins)
17.  Danny Glock                                   (Emmanuel Ndukwu-64mins)
18.  Jack Curd   (GK)
31.  Charlie John

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020