skip to content

Evo-Stik Southern League 2018/19

Division 1 South


Evesham United  0 – 2  Cirencester Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer


Cirencester made the comparatively short journey to Evesham United and came away with a welcome three points to move up to 5th in the table.

The two sides are currently separated by one place and one point as Evesham have obtained 17 points from 11 games and Cirencester 16 from 9 games to put them in 7th & 8th places respectively in the league table.

In terms of current form - the home side are in 16th place in the ‘6-Match Form Guide’ table with 5 points from their last 6 games, whilst Cirencester are 6th with 10 points. 

The Cirencester starting eleven had a few changes from the last league match as due to ‘keeper Mat Wieczorek suffering an injury in the mid-week League Cup game at Didcot Town and Luke Merchant an injury at work Charlie Griffin has recruited the experienced Martin Horsell from Hereford on a dual registration and he took over between the posts.  Ellis Dunton also returned after injury in place of Will Christopher and Aidan Bennett replaced Henry Spalding on the left flank.  


An hour before kick-off there was a very heavy downpour but despite this the pitch was in remarkable condition – a credit to the ground-staff – and it was the home side that had the first touch to start very positively as they took the game to Cirencester.

After just three minutes Cirencester worked the ball down their right flank to win a corner kick but this led to a counter attack from the home side that reached former Cirencester player Jacob Davidge who took it to the right bye-line before crossing, Adam Connolly cut-out the cross to concede a corner kick that Alan Griffin headed clear from near the penalty spot.

Back came Evesham as Nick Hancock played a superb low pass down the right channel for the willing Davidge to collect and carry to the right bye-line – this time his cross was cut-out by Alex Albert – but it wasn’t long before they were back again as Cory Simpson attacked the left flank to the corner and crossed for an incoming Davidge to head just over the bar from the centre front edge of the 6 yard box.

Evesham pressed again and were awarded a free kick that Adam Page sent to Marley Thomas on the right flank and from there the ball was worked to Archie Haskayne who struck a strong left footed shot that Martin Horsell pushed round his left post – corner kick. The ’keeper was involved again as he punched the incoming kick and after it was re-cycled it was cleared by Mike Pook.

As the 15 minute mark approached there were signs that Cirencester were beginning to settle as Ellis Dunton won the ball on the touchline and switched play left to Louis Spalding who supplied Tommy Ouldridge as he darted into the home area but the resultant cross was cut out by ‘keeper Andrew Hannah.  

A few minutes later a goal-kick from Hannah skimmed off the top of a Cirencester player’s head on half way enabling Davidge to get behind the Cirencester backline and dart towards the box but the resulting cross from the bye-line was blocked.

As the mid-point of the half approached Ben Whitehead sent a corner kick from the right into the home box where Hannah punched, Griffin collected, and laid off to Ouldridge on the edge of the box and his drive was tipped round his right post by Hannah. The ‘keeper then punched the subsequent corner kick clear to start a counter attack down the right flank but when they neared the Cirencester area a well-timed tackle from Connolly stopped them in their tracks to begin a move down the left flank and another corner kick from the left that Griffin headed against the angle at the back post.

Cirencester were soon back again as a Dunton throw was headed on by Griffin for BEN WHITEHEAD to collect and race down the right channel into the box and once there he cut left before finishing inside the right post.  0-1.

In reply Evesham created a couple of openings as Simpson broke away to cross from the left resulting in a corner kick and then he had a back post header, but straight into the arms of Horsell, after approach play from Thomas and Davidge.

The game was now end-to-end and moments later Whitehead fired wide of the left post after being set up by Ouldridge.

As Evesham worked the right flank Connolly won the ball and charged forward to half-way before supplying Aidan Bennett – his cross reached Griffin who slipped it to Tommy Anderson to his right and his shot was blocked with the rebound being collected by Dunton who sent it towards Griffin at the far post but Shayne Anson intervened to head clear.

The Evesham Captain was involved again a few minutes later at the other end of the pitch as he headed a corner kick wide of the left post.    

Cirencester finished the half strongly as Anderson latched onto a Dunton header to race to the corner but his cross was caught by Hannah and almost immediately a repeat of the goal-scoring move followed but this time Whitehead slipped the ball left where Bennett fired over the bar from the left channel of the home area.

Into the final three scheduled minutes and Connolly broke up an Evesham attack to drive to halfway before sending it right to Anderson and several passes later it was back on the left flank and a free kick to Cirencester. Mike Pook delivered it to the back post - Anderson headed to Griffin to his left, 2 yards out, but his shot on the turn was blocked so Griffin attempted to return it to Anderson but Hannah pounced on the ball to end the threat.

A couple of minutes later Cirencester pressed on the left flank and were awarded a free kick that Pook delivered to the back post where it cleared Griffin to reach a lurking ELLIS DUNTON and his volley, from a narrow angle, eluded everyone to nestle inside the netting of the far left post.  0-2.

Half Time:  0-2

With nothing to lose Evesham attacked Cirencester from the re-start and mounted a couple of attacks down their left flank and when Albert cut-out a cross Dunton launched it downfield to Griffin who slipped it to Bennett as he burst down the left channel to shoot wide of the right post from 35 yards.

Another Page cross from the left was blocked by Albert for a corner kick that Griffin headed out for Haskayne to fire wide.

At this stage Cirencester were defending for their lives and Albert blocked another cross – corner kick, defended. Throw-in, left corner, to Joe Turley and back into the box – Dunton block and clearance.

Evesham free kick, left front corner of the area, Page sends towards penalty spot where Horsell punches clear off the top of Davidge’s head, throw from right corner to Turley and a cross to the back post – corner kick left flank but too long. Relief.  

The home side then sent a pass down the right channel into the area for Davidge to chase but Horsell was quickly off his line to clear.

As the hour mark arrived Cirencester worked the ball down their right flank to the corner – Griffin, Whitehead, Anderson, back to Whitehead - and a cross to the near post that Hannah caught.  

A minute later Ouldridge broke free down the right channel to the box where he fired wide of the left post but again Evesham replied as Will Tunnicliff crossed from the left corner for an incoming Thomas to head over the target.

At the mid-point of the half Evesham won a corner kick, followed by a free kick on their right flank and Pook defended them both to release Anderson from the centre front edge of the Cirencester area for a charge to halfway.

Whilst Cirencester were being pressed they were still dangerous on the break and they countered to both flanks during the next few minutes as Whitehead had a shot deflected from the right followed by an Anderson charge to the left corner and inside for a Whitehead shot on the turn that was blocked.

Into the final ten minutes and Hancock supplied a ball down the right channel to the penalty area for Joe Tumelty – shot blocked for a corner kick, defended by Albert for an Anderson break and a free kick that was wasted.

Seven minutes to go - Horsell to Griffin, to Whitehead, slipped through for Anderson as he burst down the left channel to the front edge of the area to shoot wide of the right post.

Cirencester were breaking well and when Spalding sent a terrific pass down the left flank Whitehead collected, cut right to the left channel of the home area, and shot but Hannah parried to deny him.

The visitors played out the final couple of minutes to collect a very valuable three points.

Full Time:   0-2

A battling performance that enabled them to get a positive result on a ‘grass’ surface and will hopefully encourage them to do it again.


Attendance:  268                                 Referee:   Mr Scott Chalkley                          



 1.   Andrew Hannah
 2.   Nick Hancock
 3.   Will Tunnicliff
 4.   Joe Turley
 5.   Shayne Anson     (C)
 6.   Will Wellon
 7.   Marley Thomas
 8.   Archie Haskayne
 9.   Jacob Davidge
10.   Adam Page
11.   Cory Simpson         

12.   Nick Humphreys
14.   Tyrone Tucker-Dixon                    (Marley Thomas-75mins)
15.   Joe Tumelty                                  (Adam Page-75mins)
16.   Carl Brown                                    (Jacob Davidge-86mins)


 1.   Martin Horsell
 2.   Ellis Dunton                                               45+1
 3.   Louis Spalding
 4.   Michael Pook
 5.   Alexandru Albert
 6.   Tommy Ouldridge
 7.   Tommy Anderson
 8.   Adam Connolly
 9.   Alan Griffin     (C)                                    
10.   Ben Whitehead                                         26                                          
11.   Aidan Bennett

12.   Henry Spalding
14.   Will Christopher  
15.   Jack Freeman
16.   Jordan Morris                              
17.   James Mortimer-Jones                 (Alan Griffin-90+1mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2019