skip to content

Evo-Stik Southern League 2018/19

Division 1 South


Cirencester Town  2 – 2  Moneyfields FC


Click   photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Courtesy of Steve Rolfe Photography

Match Report by Dave Pyzer


In what is thought to be their first ever match against Portsmouth based Moneyfields FC the home side had to come from behind twice to take a share of the points.

As result of the league re-organisation Moneyfields were transferred from the ‘East’ Division to the ‘South’ Division this season and prior to this match they had secured 3 points from their opening 3 games to place them in 14th position in the league table. Cirencester had 6 points and were 6th.

The only change to the Cirencester starting eleven for this match from the last one (at Highworth Town) was the absence of Mike Pook (attending a wedding) and as a result Henry Spalding was alongside Antonio Gerrish (having recovered from the head wound received in the early stages of that match) in the centre of midfield.  


Cirencester started the game very positively with an early shot over the bar from Louis Spalding and a well worked move from left to right and back again that produced a cross into the box – but too high for Tommy Anderson at the back post.

The repost from Moneyfields was immediate as they won the ball 25 yards out, centre line of the pitch, and quickly fed former Centurion FELIPE BARCELOS (who seems to make a habit of scoring against us) just inside the home penalty area and he wasted no time in tucking the ball inside the right post from left of the penalty spot.  0-1.

Cirencester responded well to this setback as they pressed their opponents for the remainder of the half with Moneyfields forced to rely on counter attacks.

Two minutes after the goal Alan Griffin nearly levelled as he headed a free kick narrowly wide of the right post and this was soon followed by a block of a Henry Spalding shot, a volley from Ellis Dunton into visiting ‘keeper Steve Mowthorpe’s arms and a cross from Anderson that was deflected to Mowthorpe.

A quarter of an hour into the match Moneyfields counter attacked down their right flank to supply Lloyd Rowlatt, in space 30 yards out – centrally positioned, who turned and fired a powerful shot towards goal bringing a superb save from Matt Wieczorek as he pushed the effort wide of his left post.  

Back came Cirencester and just after the mid-point a terrific piece of footwork from Ben Whitehead enabled him to evade an incoming challenge on half way before sending a defence splitting pass down the left channel for Aidan Bennett to collect and cross into the box as he burst forward resulting in a corner kick from the left. In the absence of Mike Pook these were being taken by Will Christopher and he duly delivered the ball to the back post where ALAN GRIFFIN rose to complete a trademark header inside the right post to level.  1-1. 

Inside the last ten minutes of the half another fine move created an opening for Anderson who shot wide of the right post and this was followed by a wonderful curling pass from Antonio Gerrish, right channel (25 yards out) to the far post, that Griffin was just unable to convert as he stretched to get on the end of it.

As Cirencester pressed Moneyfields countered again as a Barcelos effort was blocked for a corner kick followed by another and a header from Sam Pearce that passed wide of the right post.  

With two minutes of scheduled time remaining Christopher sent the ball down the right flank for Anderson to chase, collect and cut into the penalty area where he was brought to ground but the Referee was not convinced anything untoward had occurred.

Half Time:  1-1 

Although Moneyfields kicked-off the second half Cirencester won the ball in the first minute for Whitehead to shoot over the bar from 30 yards.

A couple of minutes later Griffin headed a Dunton free kick on to Whitehead who turned and fired over the bar from the edge of the area.

The visitors reacted to this early activity and for the next ten minutes began to retain possession better and work the ball forward leading to a Lewis Fennemore shot and a corner kick that Brett Poate headed over.

Around the hour mark Cirencester pressed again and after a couple of blocks inside the visitors area a counter attack was launched as Daniel Wooden released LLOYD ROWLATT into the left channel of the home box and he made no mistake as he finished inside the right post.  1-2.

Encouraged the visitors pressed again as Wooden supplied Joseph Briggs who shot wide of the left post from inside the area.

A minute later Cirencester were level again as Bennett charged down the left side edge of the Moneyfields area to the by-line before sending a low cross to the front edge of the 6 yard box where BEN WHITEHEAD was lurking to finish.   2-2.  

As the mid-point of the half approached Cirencester worked the ball into the Moneyfields area where three attempts were blocked – Griffin, Jordan Morris and Whitehead – before the danger was cleared.

Despite the pressure the visitors were still dangerous and a well worked counter attack involving several players produced a corner kick that Griffin managed to head clear.

Another fine Cirencester move as Bennett charged down the left flank before slipping the ball forward to Morris, as he darted from right to left and into the left channel of the area, enabled Morris to reach the corner of the 6 yard box where he sent a low pass to the far post as Griffin was arriving but at full stretch he couldn’t get enough on it to divert it into the net. 

As the game entered the final 15 scheduled minutes Cirencester pressed again leading to a corner kick from the right that reached Dunton at the back post but too high for him to get any power into his left footed volley enabling Mowthorpe to easily catch.      

Back came Moneyfields as Fennemore and Barcelos had pots at goal but not too serious before Griffin headed a Christopher cross wide of the right post.

Cirencester seemed to be throwing caution to the wind as they attacked in numbers, exposing them to counter attacks, but the visitors were busy defending as Poate headed a cross from the right corner clear, Griffin fired wide of the target and Bennett’s low shot was safely gathered by Mowthorpe.  

In ‘added-time’ Whitehead shot wide of the left post and a Poate drive from 35 yards was blocked by Morris.

Full Time:   2-2

Another entertaining game for the neutral but frustrating for the home support due to the amount of possession and number of shots that failed to yield a victory.


Attendance:  94                                                        Referee:   Harry Moore (Abingdon)                             



 1.   Matt Wieczorek
 2.   Will Christopher
 3.   Louis Spalding
 4.   Antonio Gerrish
 5.   Ellis Dunton
 6.   Henry Spalding
 7.   Tommy Anderson
 8.   Adam Connolly
 9.   Alan Griffin                                              26
10.   Ben Whitehead                                      64
11.   Aidan Bennett

12.   Mason Lewis
14.   Mason Hathaway
15.   Jack Freeman                               (Henry Spalding-58mins)
16.   Jordan Morris                               (Tommy Anderson-58mins)
17.   James Mortimer-Jones 



 1.   Steve Mowthorpe
 2.   Tyler Giddings
 3.   Conor Bailey
 4.   Jake Raine
 5.   Brett Poate                 
 6.   Sam Pearce
 7.   Joseph Briggs
 8.   Lewios Fennemore     (C)
 9.   Felipe Barcelos                                          5
10.   Lloyd Rowlatt                                            61
11.   Daniel Wooden

12.   Matt Simm                                    (Joseph Briggs-79mins)
14.   James Guthrie
15.   Curtis Da Costa
16.   George Root
17.   George Gardiner 

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020