skip to content

Pre-Season Friendly

Cirencester Town   2 – 2   Chippenham Town


Click   photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Courtesy of Steve Rolfe Photography

Match Report by Dave Pyzer

Cirencester hosted former rivals Chippenham Town, who will begin their second season in ‘The National League – South Division’ when the new season starts, in the latest friendly match played at The Corinium Stadium.

The home side started with mainly players from last season with the exception of Jordan Morris who has joined for the upcoming season.

Cirencester kicked off playing towards The Arena end of the ground and pressed to the right corner before switching to the left but once Chippenham won the ball they attacked down their right flank for Nick McCootie to take it to the by-line before pulling it back towards a lurking Andy Sandell (right channel of the home penalty area) who fired at the target but ‘keeper Matt Wieczorek rushed out to divert over his cross-bar.

During the next ten minutes Chippenham’s Trialist ‘A’ shot at goal from 25 yards with his effort being held by Wieczorek and Matt Smith tried from a similar distance as he turned but it sailed over the cross-bar.

In between these efforts Cirencester worked the ball from left to right and back again with some quick passing that enabled Louis Spalding to advance down the left flank but his ‘cross-cum-shot’ passed wide of the far post.   

In the 17th minute McCootie nearly opened the scoring as his lob over an advancing Wieczorek was dropping under the home bar but Adam Connolly managed to get back to clear and this led to a counter attack as Ben Whitehead chased a ball from the left channel towards the visitors penalty spot where he pulled it out of the air but was unable to prevent a covering Greg Tindle from clearing the danger.

A few minutes later Whitehead crossed from the right touchline to Henry Spalding, on the far side of the penalty area, who twisted and turned to find space to fire at goal but a well-positioned Will Puddy caught his effort.

The game was ‘end-to-end’ by the 30 minute mark as Alex Ferguson sent a right footed curler wide of the right post and Cirencester mounted a flowing move that involved the Spalding brothers, Whitehead, Tommy Anderson and an overlapping Will Christopher but the resulting cross was cut-out by Puddy near the front edge of his 6 yard box.

A mistake in the home defence then provided an opening for McCootie but Wieczorek managed to block for Dunton to collect the rebound and the challenge from McCootie resulted in a goal-kick.

A minute later Anderson made one of his 20 yard runs as he cut in from the right flank towards the penalty area, riding several challenges en-route, before slipping the ball left to Whitehead who shot over the bar from 25 yards.

As the half was drawing to a close a series of neat passes from the home side as they worked the ball across the pitch and back again resulted in a cross from Morris that was behind the goal but the final goalmouth action was a diving save from Wieczorek who pushed a Sandell free kick round his left post.

Half Time:  0-0

During the interval Chippenham made eight personnel changes and quickly opened the scoring as KARNELL CHAMBERS drifted through to rifle inside the left post from just outside the penalty area.  0-1.

The Cirencester response was almost immediate as Adam Connolly (half-way line, left channel) chipped the ball down the channel and over the Chippenham back line for JORDAN MORRIS to collect as he made a diagonal run from the centre to the front edge of the Chippenham penalty area before taking it into the area and firing over the advancing Puddy.  1-1.

Chippenham retained possession for much of the second half but were finding it difficult to break through a resolute Cirencester defence – resulting in a number of long range efforts that were wide of the target.

Just after the mid-point of the half Will Christopher produced a terrific block near the penalty spot but the ball rebounded to Nat Jarvis who drew a spectacular diving save from Wieczorek.

Three minutes later Karnell Chambers crossed from the left flank to Jack Compton, right channel front edge of the area, who slipped it left and into the path of NAT JARVIS who confidently tucked it away to regain the lead.  1-2.  

Despite being under pressure for much of the half Cirencester were dangerous on the break and testing the visitors defence. Once again youngster Owen Windsor caught the eye with a couple of strong runs down the left flank.

With a minute of normal time remaining Cirencester were awarded a free kick that Mason Hathaway (left channel 30 yards out), sent to the back post where an aerial challenge from Windsor resulted in the ball dropping to the ‘in-form’ AIDAN BENNETT who drove it inside the left post from right of the penalty spot to level.  2-2.

Full Time:   2-2

Another entertaining game of football for the neutrals.

Honours were fairly even in the first half although arguably Chippenham created the clearer chances but Cirencester defended well.

The visitors dominated possession in the second half whilst Cirencester were dangerous on the counter.


Attendance:   124                                            Referee:          Dale Wootton



Matt Wieczorek, Will Christopher, Louis Spalding (Mason Hathaway 77), Mike Pook, Ellis Dunton (Mason Lewis 73), Henry Spalding (Jack Freeman 65), Tommy Anderson, Adam Connolly, Alan Griffin (Aidan Bennett 69), Ben Whitehead (Dan Wheeler 65, James Mortimer-Jones 85), Jordan Morris (Owen Windsor 65).



Will Puddy, Dean Evans (George Rigg 45), Mike Jones (Curtis McDonald 45), Greg Tindle, Jon Beeden (Karnell Chambers 45), Alex Ferguson (Kieran Parselle 45), Trialist ‘A’ (Trialist ‘B’ 59), Matt Smith (Josh Smile 45), Nick McCootie (Nat Jarvis 45), Andy Sandell (Jack Compton 45), James Guthrie.

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2019