skip to content

Evo Stik Southern League 2017/18

West Division


Yate Town   2 – 2   Cirencester Town


Click   photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Courtesy of Steve Rolfe Photography 

Match Report by Dave Pyzer   

When the teams met at The Corinium Stadium in October a free kick in the 89th minute from former Cirencester goalkeeper Harvey Rivers resulted in a goal that secured a point for Yate Town. In this return fixture the ‘keeper struck another free kick in ‘added-time’, from virtually the same position on the pitch, and had the same result as Yate Town snatched victory from Cirencester for the second time this season.

Prior to the match the home side sat in 13th position in the league table with 43 points from 30 games played - two places and four points behind Cirencester but with two games in hand. In terms of current form Yate have gained 8 points from their last six matches and Cirencester 16.  

The Cirencester starting eleven saw the return of Matt Wieczorek (injury) and Alex Albert (hospital) with Adam Connolly continuing at centre back alongside him making his 100th start for the Club (in addition to his 12 substitute appearances). Aidan Bennett once again occupied the left back berth whilst the rest of the team remained as previous matches.


Despite the heavy overnight rain the game began on a surprisingly firm surface although it did become heavier as the game progressed. The home side kicked-off and initially attacked the Cirencester left flank before moving the ball across the pitch and back as they retained possession for the opening few minutes.

As the 15 minute mark approached Cirencester mounted a quick counter attack as Ben Whitehead cut in from the right channel of the home penalty area and shot at the target but his effort was deflected past the far left post. The subsequent corner kick resulted in a free kick just outside the area but this too was defended.

Around the mid-point of the half both sides mounted attacks but could not break through as Ross Langworthy’s header was caught by Matt Wieczorek, Theo Llewellyn’s shot was wide and two good covering tackles from Charlie Hitchings and Mayson Evans prevented Alan Griffin and Whitehead making progress respectively.

Cirencester did get the ball into the net as Griffin followed up to finish after Harvey Rivers had parried a fierce Whitehead shot but he was ruled to be offside.

The home side pressed but a miss-control enabled Tommy Anderson to latch onto the ball near the centre circle but as he looked to drive down the pitch Sam Boulton came across to cover and clear the threat.

During the next few minutes Langworthy crossed from the left by-line for Ben Brooks to head wide of the near post under pressure and Steve Davies set up Brooks to cross from the right channel, 25 yards out, but the cross curled wide of the left post.

Cirencester responded with a break down their left channel as Griffin collected a pass from Aidan Bennett on the left side edge of the home penalty area and held it until Henry Spalding made a darting run into the left channel to receive. As Spalding neared the corner of the 6 yard box he clipped a shot that struck the far right post and rebounded out to be cleared.   

Minutes later Cirencester were back again after Whitehead, defending just outside his penalty area, released Spalding who played the ball inside to Tommy Ouldridge (centre circle) and he moved it right to Anderson. The subsequent cross towards the far left post appeared to have been collected by Griffin but the Assistant Referee (on the far side of the pitch) deemed that the ball had gone out of play and a goal kick was awarded instead.       

Into the final minutes of the half and Ouldridge played a well weighted pass down the left channel for Whitehead to chase but Boulton spotted the danger and came across to send into touch. From the throw-in Whitehead and Ouldridge combined again to play a ball into the box but it was defended.

Half Time:    0-0

Cirencester made the break-through three minutes after the interval when Anderson received the ball near half way, right channel, and began a 20 yard run moving left as he went. When he neared the home area, left channel, he was challenged and the ball rebounded towards halfway and into the path of BEN WHITEHEAD who smashed it from 30 yards into the top left corner.  0-1.

Shortly afterwards Rivers was drawn from goal to launch a clearance kick down the left touchline. His kick was collected by Griffin who, remembering his last goal at Larkhall, sent it back towards the empty goal from 40 yards. His effort was headed out by a covering defender and dropped to Spalding who moved forward and slipped it right to Whitehead who fired it narrowly over the top left corner.

Yate responded immediately as Langworthy collected a ball over the Cirencester back line and moved into the penalty area before shooting but his shot struck the left post and was cleared.

Encouraged Yate attacked down the right flank as substitute David Sims-Burgess cut in from the right to pull the ball back towards Davies on the front edge of the penalty area. Davies stepped over the ball to create space for Adam Price to take on the shot but his effort was partially blocked taking some of the power out of the strike for Wieczorek to dive to his left to save.

Twenty minutes into the half Langworthy worked some space on the left flank to cross towards the near post where STEVE DAVIES darted forward to get a touch that deflected it over an advancing Matt Wieczorek and into the net to level the score. 1-1.

A couple of minutes later Langworthy played the ball down the left channel of the Cirencester penalty area for Sims-Burgess to collect but as he shaped to shoot the diminutive Anderson surprisingly appeared to make a superb challenge that led to the danger being cleared.

Yate were making a determined effort to take the lead and Nick Peare fed Langworthy who moved right along the front edge of the penalty area before shooting – his shot struck the cross-bar and rebounded out to be cleared.  

The home side pressed again and Sam Blake sent the ball forward from the centre circle for Peare to head into the path of Davies but his shot was saved by a well positioned Wieczorek.

Not to be outdone Cirencester responded as they worked the ball from left to right to the corner to win a corner kick. Mike Pook played the ball to Will Christopher, right channel – 25 yards out, and he drove the ball into the goalmouth. As Rivers shaped to catch it took a deflection from a late touch by BEN WHITEHEAD to finish in the back of the net. 1-2.

During the final few minutes the home side threw caution to the wind to press the Cirencester defence and in ‘added-time’ they were awarded a free kick 10 yards inside the Yate half, right flank, and as in their previous encounter Harvey Rivers launched the ball into the Cirencester penalty area where MATTY TANNER managed to dart forward and convert from close range to level the score. 2-2.

Twenty seconds later it was all over.

Full Time:  2-2

Another entertaining Southern League match with both sides contributing.

Yate exhibited a more measured approach whilst Cirencester were dangerous on the counter.


Attendance:     162                                           Referee:          Mr S. Littlefair


Yate Town:

 1.  Harvey Rivers
 2.  Mayson Evans
 3.  Chris Gregan
 4.  Nick Peare
 5.  Sam Boulton
 6.  Charlie Hitchings     (C)
 7.  Adam Price
 8.  Theo Llewellyn
 9.  Steve Davies                                               65       
10.  Ben Brooks
11.  Ross Langworthy

12.  Sam Blake                                     (Theo Llewellyn-63mins)
14.  Trey Anderson
15.  David Sims-Burgess                     (Ben Brooks-55mins)
16.  Matty Tanner                                 (Charlie Hitchings-87mins)  90+3

Cirencester Town:

 1.   Matt Wieczorek
 2.   Will Christopher
 3.   Aidan Bennett                              
 4.   Michael Pook
 5.   Alexandru Albert
 6.   Tommy Ouldridge 
 7.   Henry Spalding
 8.   Adam Connolly
 9.   Alan Griffin     (C)
10.   Ben Whitehead                                         48, 81
11.   Tommy Anderson  

12.   Mason Lewis                                 (Henry Spalding-74mins)
14.   Max Lloyd                                     (Aidan Bennett-90mins)
15.   James Mortimer-Jones                 (Alan Griffin-60mins)
17.   Scott Rose  (GK)  

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020