skip to content

The Buildbase FA Trophy

1st Round Qualifying – Replay

 Cirencester Town  0 – 4  Paulton Rovers

Click   photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Courtesy of Steve Rolfe Photography  

Match Report by Dave Pyzer   


Paulton Rovers made the most of their extremely late equaliser on Saturday – scored by on loan ‘keeper Alhaji Sesay – to convincingly defeat Cirencester at The Corinium Stadium and deservedly earn a home match against Shortwood United in the next round of the competition.

The only change to the Cirencester starting eleven from the match on Saturday was the late call-up of goalkeeping coach Scott Rose to replace Matt Wieczorek who had not recovered from the ankle injury he had throughout that match. He had a fitness test before the game but was unable to take his place.

Cirencester kicked off on a very cool evening and attacked the Arena end of the ground but moments later the visitors had countered down their right flank to earn a corner kick which was sent to the back post and a couple of contacts later fed to Josh Morgan-Williams just outside the penalty area, left channel. Without hesitation Morgan-Williams fired a dipping shot towards the right post where it rebounded off stand-in ‘keeper Scott Rose for JACK BALL to show lightning quick reactions to stab it home from the edge of the 6 yard box.  0-1.

Despite the early setback Cirencester pressed down their right flank with Tommy Anderson and Will Christopher combining well and there was the rare sight of James Mortimer-Jones making a diagonal run across the Paulton penalty area to the by-line to collect an Anderson pass before laying it back to Christopher for him to cross to the near post.

During the next ten minutes or so Cirencester pressed and the Paulton defence stood firm – Saturday’s Paulton hero Alhaji Sesay gathered a Jack Horrell cross at the feet of Ben Whitehead and then parried a fierce drive from Whitehead after an Aidan Bennett header had created the opening on the left side of the area.  

A minute later Paulton had a let-off as a Bennett cross from the left reached Anderson near the right post but the resulting header across goal was cleared from 2 yards just as Whitehead was about to apply the finishing touch.

A midfield battle ensued for the next five minutes with neither side causing any concern to their opponents defence until Paulton broke the stale-mate as they worked the ball forward for Morgan-Williams to shoot from 25 yards. Once again Rose parried and Ball was quickest to react to put the ball in the back of the net but this time he was ruled offside. Post match video evidence suggests the goal was good – but not on the night.

Two minutes later however Paulton did double their lead after they were awarded a free kick in a central position 25 yards out and JOSH MORGAN-WILLIAMS stepped up to calmly place it inside the right post.  0-2.

Whilst the home side were still shell-shocked Tyrone Tucker-Dixon and Josh Cann worked the ball down Paulton’s left flank for Liam Monelle to shoot but a well placed Rose saved his effort.

In response Cirencester worked the ball down their left flank, with Horrell involved several times, to the corner and obtained a corner kick. The ball was cleared to Matt Jones who immediately sent if back towards the penalty spot where Whitehead attempted an overhead kick. Paulton blocked his shot and countered down their left flank but it was lost and quickly fed to Bennett and on to Whitehead who fired a shot on-the-turn at the target that Sesay was able to gather.

In the remaining 15 minutes to the interval both sides pressed without really troubling either ‘keeper.

Half Time:  0-2

Two minutes after the re-start Joe Hillard slid a pass from half-way down the right side edge of the home penalty area where Tucker-Dixon collected and managed to get his shot past an advancing Rose but Jordan Stoddart was covering to clear the danger from inside the 6 yard box  resulting in a right wing corner kick. The kick eventually reached Monelle but his shot was caught by Rose.

A few minutes later there was a foot race between Whitehead and Sesay to the right corner that resulted in a ‘throw-in’ for Cirencester. Christopher and Whitehead combined to create space for Anderson to cut left and shoot from the right corner of the Paulton area but his effort was just over the bar.

Cirencester continued to press as a Whitehead cross was cleared from above Bennett’s head by Sam Hedges and following a free kick Sesay dropped the ball resulting in a corner kick. When this kick came in Stoddart poked it against the post and the rebound wouldn’t come down in time for Bennett and his snatched contact cleared the bar.

Three minutes later following a superb move from left back to right front corner of the Paulton area – involving several players as the ball was worked forward – Bennett struck a fierce shot at goal that Sesay just managed to tip over his cross-bar.

Almost immediately JOSH MORGAN-WILLIAMS replied for Paulton as he exchanged passes with Tucker-Dixon, 15 yards inside the Cirencester half, and carried it down the centre of the pitch and performed a couple of ‘step-over’s’ before placing his shot inside the left post.  0-3.

With nothing to lose Cirencester pushed forward as a Jones free kick was headed narrowly wide by a defender and the resulting corner kick was fed into the area but too long to cause any concern.

Just after the mid-point of the half Adam Connolly brought the ball out of the home penalty area and fed Anderson on the right, forward to Christopher, back to Anderson, left to Horrell, left again to Henry Spalding, forward to Bennett, left to Jones on the overlap to the by-line and a cross that was cut out.  A typical example of the effort with no reward for the home side.  

Into the final five minutes and Horrell fed Bennett in the right corner who crossed into the Paulton area – headed out for Danny Gudger to collect and slip right for Horrell to send a powerful shot just over the cross-bar from 20 yards.

A minute later another Cirencester move involving four players reached Mason Lewis but his shot from the left front corner of the Paulton area was blocked.

With 3 minutes remaining Dave Sims drove down the right side edge of the home penalty area and crossed to the centre front edge of the 6 yard box where JAMES BYRNE was arriving at pace to finish from a couple of yards to conclude the scoring and secure Paulton’s place in the next round of the competition.      

Full Time:  0-4

Paulton fully deserved their victory and took full advantage of their late reprieve on Saturday.

After the early goal they were quicker all round the pitch and Cirencester were unable to match their clinical play or break through a resolute defence.


Attendance:     109                                           Referee:          John Rendell


Cirencester Town:

 1.   Scott Rose  
 2.   Will Christopher
 3.   Matt Jones                                               
 4.   James Mortimer-Jones
 5.   Adam Connolly     (C)
 6.   Jordan Stoddart  
 7.   Henry Spalding
 8.   Jack Horrell
 9.   Aidan Bennett
10.   Ben Whitehead
11.   Tommy Anderson  

12.   Mason Lewis                                  (Matt Jones-75mins)
14.   Michael Pook                                 (Ben Whitehead-70mins)
15.   Matt Wieczorek  (GK)
16.   Danny Gudger                                (James Mortimer-Jones-60mins)
17.   Alan Griffin


Paulton Rovers:
 1.  Alhaji Sesay
 2.  Camen Harvey
 3.  Josh Cann
 4.  Sam Hedges
 5.  Joe Hillard
 6.  Joe Guest     (C)
 7.  Liam Monelle
 8.  James Byrne                                             87
 9.  Jack Ball                                                    2
10.  Josh Morgan-Williams                              22, 60
11.  Tyrone Tucker-Dixon

12.  David Sims                                     (Josh Morgan-Williams-70mins)
14.  Mario Mateus
15.  Gary Powell

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020