skip to content

GFA Senior Challenge Cup

First Round

Cirencester Town  1 – 2  Bristol City U23’s

Match Report by Dave Pyzer   


Cirencester faced Bristol City U23’s in this GFA Senior Challenge Cup First Round fixture - having been defeated by them two months ago in the delayed Final of last season’s competition – looking to build on their victory over Evesham United in The Buildbase FA Trophy at the weekend.

The Cirencester starting eleven had four changes from that which competed in the Final two months ago as three players have since left the Club and Alan Griffin was on the bench - having missed the last five matches due to the knee injury he picked up at Salisbury.


On a cold, wet evening it was Cirencester’s Jack Horrell who had the first pot at goal as he curled his free kick narrowly wide of the post from 25 yards.

The Bristol City’s youngsters had the better of the first half as Matt Wieczorek was the busier of the ‘keepers making three fine saves - to deny Opanin Edwards curling effort from the edge of the box, Jake Andrews well struck free kick and Tyreeq Bakinson 30 yard pile-driver – whilst the City ‘keeper was called into action to thwart Ben Whitehead as the half entered the final ten minutes.

A minute before the scheduled break The Robins made the breakthrough as JAKE ANDREWS managed to find the back of the net from close range.  0-1.

Cirencester responded to this setback as a Matt Jones free kick resulted in a corner kick which led to Henry Spalding striking the outside of a post.  

Half Time:  0-1

After the half-time ‘chat’ with Manager Charlie Griffin Cirencester pressed and mid-way into the half levelled as AIDAN BENNETT scored his third goal in four days with a looping header.  1-1.

As neither side was able to gain the upper hand and extra-time loomed the game became a little feisty but with four minutes of normal time remaining TOM RICHARDS curled a 30 yarder into the top corner to secure victory and a place in the next round against local rivals Bristol Rovers for the visitors.

Full Time:   1-2

Another narrow 2-1 defeat - for the 6th time this season - but an encouraging performance against a strong Bristol City U23’s side.  


Attendance:                 76

Referee:                      Andrew Sheppard


Cirencester Town:

 1.  Matt Wieczorek
 2.  Will Christopher
 3.  Matt Jones
 4.  Matt Coupe
 5.  Jordan Stoddart
 6.  Mason Lewis
 7.  Jack Horrell
 8.  Adam Connolly     (C)
 9.  Ben Whitehead
10.  Aidan Bennett                                            68
11.  Henry Spalding

12.  James Mortimer-Jones
14.  Michael Pook
15.  Scott Rose (GK)
16.  Alan Griffin


Bristol City U23’s:

Alhaji Sesay, Aaron Parsons, Aden Baldwin, Tin Plavotic, Opanin Edwards, Chris Turner-Williams, Tom Richards 86, Tyreeq Bakinson, George Nurse, Kel Akpobire (Rory Holden 61), Jake Andrews 44 (Connor Lemonheigh-Evans 61).

Subs not used:  James Carey, Jack Turner, James Morton.

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020