skip to content


Evo Stik Southern League 2017/18

West Division


Swindon Supermarine   2 – 1   Cirencester Town


Click  photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Courtesy of Steve Rolfe Photography

Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


‘The Centurions’ made the short journey to ‘The Webbswood Stadium’ to face local rivals Swindon Supermarine for this Bank Holiday Monday league fixture.

‘Marine’ have made a solid start to the new season and after three league games they are unbeaten - with two draws and an away victory at Bideford on Saturday – to place them 9th in the West Division table. Cirencester are 16th but league position is irrelevant in this generally very competitive fixture between the two ‘neighbours’ who have seen many of the local players play for both Clubs over the years.

The Cirencester starting eleven saw the return of Felipe Barcelos (absent due to International Futsal duties on Saturday) and the inclusion of recent signing Michael Pook (former Cheltenham Town and more recently Chippenham Town midfielder) in place of Mason Lewis and Jack Watts.


‘The Centurions’ kicked-off on a superbly prepared pitch in blisteringly hot conditions and immediately took the game to their hosts as Alan Griffin headed a throw from the right flank towards goal with Ben Whitehead closing rapidly – Josh Hill in the home goal got there first to gather the ball at his left post. A couple of minutes later the visitors were awarded a corner kick on the left as they pressed but it was Supermarine who countered as Josh Parsons raced on to a ball over the Cirencester back line to collect and shoot over the bar from the right channel of the area.

Minutes later Brad Hooper nicked the ball of Ellis Dunton, after he had skilfully beaten two home players on the Cirencester left touchline and cut inside, to cross towards the far post where Ryan Campbell fired across the goal and past the far right post.

Cirencester continued to press as they worked the ball down both flanks with debutant Michael Pook linking play. Felipe Barcelos had a shot deflected for a corner kick and Ben Whitehead carried the ball to the by-line, right channel, before pulling it back towards Griffin but it was cut out enabling a counter attack from the home side that led to the opening goal. TJ Bohane received the ball in the left channel of the Cirencester penalty area and struck a fierce shot that custodian Matt Wieczorek could only parry away from his goal. Unfortunately for Cirencester it dropped into the path of a supporting JOSH PARSONS, right of the penalty spot, who calmly volleyed it inside the right post before the ‘keeper could recover. 1-0.

A minute later Cirencester had the ball in the back of the Supermarine net but the Assistant Referee had his flag raised and it was disallowed for ‘offside’.

Despite this additional setback Cirencester responded by working the edge of the home penalty area with the ball eventually reaching Whitehead, right of the penalty spot, who slipped it left to his strike partner ALAN GRIFFIN and he tucked it under ‘keeper Hill and inside the right post to bring the scores level.  1-1.

Encouraged Cirencester pushed forward and won a couple of corner kicks in succession – the second of which was played back to Matt Jones and forward to Griffin, left of the penalty spot, who turned and fired over the top right corner.

At the 25 minute mark the players had a short ‘drinks’ break due to the hot conditions.

After the break Cirencester worked the ball from right to left with a number of players involved but the home defence stood firm and countered as Hooper exchanged passes with Joe Selman and crossed to the far left post where Parsons headed back across goal for an incoming Selman but the winger was unable to make contact.  

The response from Cirencester was immediate as Pook released Henry Spalding to the left corner. Cirencester throw-in. Back to Adam Connolly who played it up to Griffin, left of the penalty spot, and the resulting deft header towards the bottom left corner was pushed out by a diving Hill and collected.

As the interval loomed Zac Westlake and Spalding both had pots at goal but neither troubled the ‘keepers unduly.

Half Time:  1-1

The second half opened promisingly with Supermarine attacking and Cirencester countering through Whitehead and Griffin – the latter heading wide of the left post.

Five minutes into the half Parsons collected a defensive header and slipped the ball right to his strike partner, Bohane who moved forward into the penalty area. As he did so a defender got his leg across to pinch the ball and shoulder charged the striker who fell to ground and the Referee, some 10 yards behind the challenge, immediately pointed to the penalty spot. BRAD HOOPER stepped up and tucked the kick inside the right post as Wieczorek dived in the opposite direction.  2-1.

During the next five minutes Cirencester pressed and won a corner kick that Dunton headed over the bar and Spalding had a cross from the left by-line cut-out by Hill but the home side began to take control and attack with increasing frequency.

Matt Wieczorek punched a free kick out and Hooper collected and shot towards the bottom right corner – pushed wide. When Cirencester countered the cross from the by-line was intercepted and launched down field to Parsons, left to Bohane, right channel front edge of the area. He drew the defender and slipped the ball left to Campbell who fired over the bar.

During the next few minutes Parsons fired wide of the left post, Campbell had a close range shot blocked and Hooper exchanged passes with Ryan Morgan but the Cirencester goal remained intact.

In response Dunton intercepted on half way and slid the ball down the left channel as Whitehead darted forward into the area but Hill was quickly off his line to save at the striker’s feet. Barcelos then sent a low cross into the home area and again Hill was alert to cut it out.

At the mid-point of the half Supermarine were playing the ball across their back line when Spalding pounced to win it in the left corner and cross into the box. It was headed clear and sent over the advanced Cirencester backline for Campbell to chase and collect. He carried it into the area, left channel, drew the defenders and slipped it right to an unmarked Bohane who shot wide of the left post.   

With 70 minutes on the clock Cirencester sent the ball from the left flank into the right channel of the home penalty area where Barcelos darted forward to collect – as he did so there was a collision with a defender resulting in him falling to the ground but no penalty awarded.

As the game entered the final quarter hour there was a number of personnel changes and a final push from Cirencester but the home defence held firm to take the three points.

Full Time:  2-1

A lively first half from Cirencester, probably the best the new team have played so far this season, but in the second half the home side created the chances to score more goals than the penalty they did convert.

Charlie Griffin will be disappointed at the result and second half performance but encouraged by the first half display that showed plenty of potential.


Attendance:     249

Referee:          Declan O’Shea (Tidworth)


Swindon Supermarine:

 1.  Josh Hill
 2.  Zak Westlake     (C)
 3.  Ryan Morgan
 4.  Lee Marshall
 5.  Ash Taylor
 6.  Ryan Wood
 7.  Joe Selman
 8.  Brad Hooper                                               51p
 9.  TJ Bohane
10.  Josh Parsons                                              14
11.  Ryan Campbell

12.  Connor Johns (GK)            
14.  George Kellow                               (Joe Selman -73mins)
15.  Aaron Woodley                              (Ryan Campbell-85mins)
16.  Connor Thompson                          (Zak Westlake-73mins)
17.  Mason Hathaway   


Cirencester Town:

 1.   Matt Wieczorek
 2.   Will Christopher
 3.   Matt Jones                                               
 4.   Ellis Dunton
 5.   Jordan Stoddart
 6.   Michael Pook        
 7.   Felipe Barcelos
 8.   Adam Connolly
 9.   Alan Griffin     (C)                                     19
10.   Ben Whitehead
11.   Henry Spalding     

12.   James Mortimer-Jones
14.   Mason Lewis
15.   Sam Walsh                                    (Michael Pook-90mins)
16.   Kieran Diaz-Benitez                       (Will Christopher-78mins)                   
17.   Jack Watts                                     (Felipe Barcelos-80mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020