skip to content


Evo Stik Southern League 2016/17

Premier Division


Cirencester Town   1 – 1   King’s Lynn Town 

Click photo to view a slideshow of photos from the match

Courtesy of  Steve Rolfe Photography

Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


In a game interrupted twice, due to a serious leg injury sustained by King’s Lynn striker Ryan Hawkins, the home side secured another point in their fight to remain in the Premier Division next season.

Prior to this match King’s Lynn sat in 15th place in the Premier Division table and 14th in the ‘6-Match Form Guide’ table with 6 points - obtained from a win and 3 draws in their last four games - from a possible 18. Cirencester were 20th and 18th respectively. When the two sides met at The Walks Stadium in October the home side equalised on the stroke of full time.

Following their victory at Stratford last week the Cirencester Management Team kept faith with the starting eleven that secured the 3 points on offer and named an unchanged side. The only change to the squad was the absence of Ollie Mehew who has completed his loan spell and has moved on to Dorchester Town. 


The visitors kicked off proceedings playing towards the Shed End of the ground and were soon under pressure on their right flank as Cirencester started the game positively.

The home side opened the scoring in the 10th minute following a strong run from James Mortimer-Jones that took him into The Linnets penalty area and resulted in a corner kick from the right. Kerry Morgan took the kick and found an unmarked GETHIN JONES, just outside the centre front edge of the 6 yard box, and he placed a firm header inside the right post. 1-0.

A few minutes later Alan Griffin fired a 25 yarder at the target from the left channel that was blocked causing it to loop into the air and drop between ‘keeper Alex Street and a supporting Adam Connolly. The two players challenged for the ball as it dropped and the home player was awarded a Yellow Card for his trouble.

The response from King’s Lynn was an ambitious effort from Shaun McWilliams from 35 yards that was wide of the right post.

Cirencester were pressing the visitors and Kieran Diaz-Benitez sent a couple of crosses from the right that bobbed about the area before eventually being cleared.

Just before the mid-point of the half Matt Liddiard won the ball in the centre circle and moved it forward to Griffin who, with his back to goal, flicked a clever ball for Dan Demkiv to latch onto in the space behind the defence and carry down the right side edge of the penalty area. Spotting the danger Street left his line to cut him off - forcing Demkiv inside and onto his left foot. The winger took on the shot but it was deflected by a covering defender to Griffin in the left channel of the penalty area and his shot was blocked on the line, looping over the bar for a corner kick. The kick from the left resulted in another one from the right and when it came into the box Jones got his head to it and there was a strong appeal for handball that was ignored.   

Cirencester were putting the visitors under tremendous pressure at this stage with Street having to dart out of his area to head a pass from Mortimer-Jones off the pitch. This was quickly followed by Connolly sending the ball to Liddiard who had his header deflected for a corner kick. King’s Lynn cleared the kick from their left back area to the centre circle where SHAUN McWILLIAMS collected, turned and drove purposefully towards the Cirencester goal. As he broke through the back line he struck an early shot from 25 yards that beat an advancing Glyn Garner to find the back of the net.  1-1.

The goal gave the visitors confidence and they began to move the ball with more conviction resulting in them getting the ball in the net again following a quick counter attack and header from Lee Stevenson - but it was adjudged to be ‘offside’.

As the half was drawing to a close King’s Lynn pressed the home side and after a free kick from the left channel was sent into the Cirencester penalty area there was a goal-mouth scramble that resulted in injury to Diaz-Benitez who had to leave the pitch.

Whilst he was off a Sam Warburton cross from the left struck Jones, who was only a couple of yards away from him, and a free kick was awarded for handball. The kick led to a goal-mouth scramble, cleared to the edge of the box, a shot that Garner did well to save as he saw it late, followed by another scramble before the ball was cleared and Cirencester had survived.  

Half Time:       1 – 1

Immediately from the re-start Cirencester attacked down their left flank with Aidan Bennett and Morgan exchanging passes as they worked their way to the corner and won a corner kick. King’s Lynn defended the kick and launched the ball down the pitch for a swift counter attack and a McWilliams shot that Garner parried.

Five minutes into the half Lee Stevenson, left side edge of the penalty area, laid the ball to Ryan Hawkins, right channel front edge of the area, and he struck a low shot towards the bottom left corner bringing a one handed diving save from Garner.

A minute later Hawkins became provider as he carried the ball to the left by-line before shooting. Garner blocked his effort but it looped to Stevenson, with his back to goal – to the right of the penalty spot, who attempted an overhead kick that was wide of the right post.

Ryan Hawkins had started the half in lively fashion for the visitors but unfortunately for him it was about to change. He received the ball on the left channel front edge of the penalty area, weaved his way past a couple of home defenders and into the area where a covering defender cleared the ball and collided with him resulting in him sustaining an horrific injury that was initially thought to be a broken leg. Play was stopped for a stretcher to be brought on to remove the stricken player to the warmth of the Dressing Room whilst an ambulance was called.         

Shortly afterwards play continued with Kurtis Revan replacing Hawkins and Ben Brown replacing Kieran Diaz-Benitez (who was struggling with the nose injury he received just before the interval).  

News came through that an Air Ambulance was en-route to the ground and play would need to be suspended for it to land on the pitch but in the meanwhile play continued with Cirencester attacking down their right flank as Liddiard collected a ball from Ben Brown to the corner and crossed from the by-line. The cross was cleared in the goal-mouth but recovered by Morgan who took it to the left by-line and crossed but once again the visitors stood firm.

A few minutes later Matt Coupe powered a header down the right channel from half-way for Connolly to collect and work his way left along the front edge of the area before shooting. A well positioned Street caught his effort.

A minute later a similar effort from Kurtis Revan was caught by Garner.

Shaun McWilliams then nicked the ball off a Cirencester player on half-way and immediately drove towards goal before unleashing a fierce strike that Garner parried for a corner kick. Cirencester cleared the kick out of the area but it was collected by Revan who shot over the bar.

A couple of minutes later with King’s Lynn about to take a corner kick from their right flank the game was stopped so that the Air Ambulance could land. It circled the pitch a couple of times before manoeuvring and landing in front of the tunnel to the Changing Rooms.

After examination the Air Ambulance Doctor decided that Ryan Hawkins should be taken to Cheltenham Hospital for treatment on his severely gashed leg in the road Ambulance that had also arrived.

Once the helicopter had departed the teams warmed up for a few minutes and the game re-commenced with 19 minutes to play.

Cirencester defended the corner kick and attacked down their left flank as Demkiv galloped to the corner before crossing to Griffin on the centre front edge of the area. Griffin moved right and fired his shot towards the bottom right corner where Street dived to push it out. Matt Liddiard was supporting but was unable to get to the loose ball in time and it was cleared.

A couple of minutes later Connolly sent a ‘cross-cum-shot’ from the left front corner of the penalty area towards the top right corner where a back-pedalling Street made the save at the 2nd attempt – initially parrying before collecting.

Cirencester were making a determined effort to get the three points and pressed during the final minutes with Demkiv prominent as he supplied Liddiard from the right flank - Street caught Liddiard’s header - and a lay-off from the left towards Liddiard was intercepted.

The final goal-mouth action came with Demkiv receiving the ball from Griffin just outside the area. He moved left, then right, as he worked to find space to shoot but his resulting right footed shot was kept out by a diving Street – low to his left.

Final Score:     1 - 1

An eventful afternoon at The Corinium Stadium.

Cirencester will undoubtedly be pleased to have gained another point in their quest to stay in the Premier Division and could have nicked all three points at the end - against a King’s Lynn side that was very lively going forward after they had scored their goal.


Everyone at Cirencester wishes RYAN HAWKINS a speedy and full recovery and hope he is soon back out on the pitch.


Attendance:     110

Referee:          Philip Staynings


Cirencester Town:

1.    Glyn Garner
2.    Kieran Diaz-Benitez
3.    Aidan Bennett
4.    James Mortimer-Jones                             
5.    Gethin Jones                                 10                                
6.    Matt Coupe                          
7.    Matt Liddiard     (C)                  
8.    Adam Connolly
9.    Alan Griffin                                                                     
10.   Dan Demkiv                                  
11.   Kerry Morgan

12.   Henry Spalding                
14.   Ben Brown                         (Kieran Diaz-Benitez-54mins)
16.   Ryan Elliott
17.   Charlie Griffin


King’s Lynn Town:

1.    Alexander Street
2.    Jacek Zielonka
3.    Ryan Fryatt
4.    sam Gaughran     (C)                                  
5.    Tom Ward                        
6.    Daniel Quigley                     
7.    Michael Clunan              
8.    Shaun McWilliams                         27
9.    Ryan Hawkins                                                                    
10.   Lee Stevenson                              
11.   Samuel Warburton

12.   Toby Hilliard                      (Michael Clunan-77mins)                     
14.   Lee Smith                         (Ryan Fryatt-72mins)
15.   Kurtis Revan                      (Ryan Hawkins-54mins)
16.   Jordon Yong 

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020