skip to content

Evo Stik Southern League 2016/17

Premier Division


Weymouth  4 - 0  Cirencester Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


Cirencester set off at 10.00 am for their visit to Weymouth and had time for a walk on the beach before the match but the fresh air didn't have the impact they hoped for as 2 goals in a 2 minute spell midway into the first half put them on the back foot and they never recovered.


Weymouth are in a decent run of form at present as they are unbeaten in their last 6 matches – having won 1 and drawn their last 5 matches. Prior to this match they sat in 18th place in the Premier Division table with 27 points from 22 games (two places above Cirencester – 23 points from 28 games).

The only change to the starting line-up for Cirencester was the return of Dan Demkiv (bruised foot) at the expense of Henry Spalding who took a seat on the bench although there were some positional changes.



The home side kicked off proceedings and almost immediately were awarded a free kick that Alan Griffin headed out from within the defensive wall.

A few minutes later Adam Connolly intercepted a pass on half way and moved the ball out to Aidan Bennett who in turn released Tony Lee further down the left flank. Lee cut inside and sent a curling shot towards the top right corner of the home goal but ‘keeper Tom McHale managed to tip it over his cross-bar. The resultant corner kick eventually reached Connolly, just outside the penalty area, but he was unable to keep his shot down and it cleared the crossbar.

The home side responded with a couple of quick breaks but it was Cirencester who created a good opportunity after Alan Griffin at the near post headed an Aidan Bennett throw towards the far post but none of his team-mates was able to latch onto the ball and the danger was eventually cleared downfield for a counter attack.

When the opening goal came, just after the mid-point of the half, there was an element of good fortune about it as a JORDAN COPP shot from the edge of the Cirencester penalty area deflected off the out-stretched leg of Ben Brown and wrong-footed Raajan Gill to finish in the back of the net.  1-0.

Two minutes later the home side were awarded a penalty kick that Chris Shephard sent down the centre - Gill saved the kick and his follow-up effort but JORDAN COPP was on hand to finish from a yard out.  2-0.

Despite being shell-shocked Cirencester reacted positively during the next ten minutes with Lee firing wide of the right post and Griffin clipping the same post with an overhead kick although it would not have counted as a free kick was awarded for something earlier in the move.

Weymouth finished the half strongly but were unable to add to their tally.

Half Time:  2-0

Cirencester opened the second half in positive fashion and were awarded a couple of early corner kicks that Weymouth survived but ten minutes into the half Weymouth were awarded another penalty kick and once again Shephard stepped up to drive the ball at the target. Raajan Gill stood his ground and pushed the fierce strike over his bar.

At this point the Cirencester management threw caution to the wind by replacing defender Robbie James with striker Kalum Youngsam in an effort to pull a goal back and the youngster was very lively during his period on the pitch.

The home side created several openings during the next 20 minutes but Cirencester survived until 8 minutes from time when a deep cross from the left flank found STEWART YETTON at the far post and he rifled his volley into the net.  3-0.

Two minutes later Gill produced a superb save as he tipped a clever chip shot from Stuart Fleetwood over his cross-bar.

As the game was drawing to a close Cirencester were still looking for a consolation goal and some good approach play from Dan Demkiv created a shooting chance for Alan Griffin that was deflected into the arms of McHale.

As the 90 minutes were up Shephard released STUART FLEETWOOD down the centre and he outstripped the turning defence to tuck his shot inside the left post from the edge of the area to complete the scoring.  4-0.

Full Time:  4-0

The two quick goals put Weymouth in the driving seat and Cirencester were unable to get back into the game.



Attendance:     540

Referee:          James Robinson


 1.  Tom McHale
 2.  Calvin Brooks
 3.  Mark Cooper
 4.  Stephane Zubar     (C)
 5.  Dean Evans
 6.  Jake Wannell
 7.  Jordan Copp                                               24, 26
 8.  Chris Allen
 9.  Aaron Rodriguez 
10.  Ben Thompson
11.  Chris Shephard

12.  Ashley Wells
14.  Stewart Yetton                              (Aaron Rodriguez-71mins) 82
15.  Billy Lowes
16.  Stuart Fleetwood                           (Mark Cooper-61mins)  90
17.  Charlie Davis                                  (Ben Thompson-76mins)


Cirencester Town:

 1.   Raajan Gill
 2.   Robbie James
 3.   Kieran Diaz-Benitez
 4.   James Mortimer-Jones
 5.   Matt Liddiard     (C)
 6.   Ben Brown 
 7.   Dan Demkiv
 8.   Adam Connolly
 9.   Alan Griffin
10.   Tony Lee
11.   Aidan Bennett 

12.  Henry Spalding                              (Kieran Diaz-Benitez-46mins)
14.  Ka’lum Youngsam                          (Robbie James-57mins)
16.  Max Lloyd
17.  Charlie Griffin 

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020