skip to content

Evo Stik Southern League 2015/16

Premier Division


 Cirencester Town   0 – 2   Redditch United


Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


High flying Redditch United came to the Corinium Stadium for this evening fixture in search of a victory that would take them to the top of the Premier Division table on goal difference over current leaders Poole Town.

Prior to the match Redditch had 65 points from 35 games sitting in 2nd place in both the Premier Division and the ‘6-Match Form Guide’ tables.

Cirencester had risen to 9th in the latter, following their fine victory over Hungerford on Saturday, but remained in 14th place in the league table.  

The Cirencester starting eleven had one change from Saturday as Cheltenham Town 1st Year Scholar Matt Bower replaced the suspended Mark Pritchett.

The visitors kicked off playing towards the Arena end of the ground in cool, dry conditions on a firm pitch and immediately took the game to their hosts with some lively forward play from the speedy Jazz Luckie and Eli Bako.

When the ball was sent from left of the centre circle to the left corner Luckie was after it in a flash but Anthony Brown assisted by James Mortimer-Jones managed to win it and start a counter down the right flank.

Five minutes into the game 6’6” Matt Bower was called into action when he won his first header under pressure in the left channel, 30 yards from his goal, and this early involvement helped him to settle.

A few minutes later Bako was in the action as he darted down the left channel - but his touch was heavy and it took him to the bye-line at pace where his cross was caught at the near post by Josh Langley.

Redditch were pushing forward at every opportunity and when Robert Thompson-Brown crossed from the right corner the ball passed through the Cirencester 6 yard box to the back post where Anthony Brown controlled it on his chest, facing the bye-line, and hooked it over his shoulder into touch as he was put under pressure.

Seventeen minutes into the game Bako crossed from the right bye-line and when the ball reared up near the Cirencester penalty spot George Carline reacted first to get his head on it but Langley managed to parry his effort before catching it on the centre front edge of his 6 yard box.

At this stage it was Redditch pressing and Cirencester countering and just before the mid-point of the half Ollie Knight played the ball down the left flank for Matt Liddiard to win a throw-in near the left corner and this led to a cross from Knight that was defended.

Shortly afterwards Ashley Sammons released the ball from half way down the left channel for Bako to collect and fire a right footed shot high over the home crossbar from 20 yards.  

As the half hour point was reached Cirencester were beginning to get a foothold in the game as Knight crossed from the left corner but it was cleared to Hooper and he slipped it to Mortimer-Jones who played it behind the visitors defence towards the right side edge of the penalty area for Zack Kotwica to chase. As the wide-man reached the ball Jose Veiga in the Redditch goal dived at his feet to collect.

The Redditch response was a break down their left flank as Thompson-Brown moved it down the line for Luckie to chase into the corner. Luckie was cut off by Brown and played the ball back to Maxwell Loveridge as he charged down the left side edge of the Cirencester penalty area but Shayne Anson won the ball in a challenge near the bye-line and cleared the danger.  

A couple of minutes later Langley threw the ball out to Matt Bower on the edge of his penalty area and the 17 year old carried it forward for ten yards before sending a 35 yard diagonal pass from the left channel towards the right front corner of the Redditch penalty area for Kotwica to chase but Calum Flanagan just managed to reach the ball first.

As the half was drawing to a close it was Cirencester who were now pressing and a series of passes between Mortimer-Jones, Liddiard and Hooper worked the ball down the right flank for Hooper to shoot from 25 yards but his effort was partially blocked enabling Veiga to collect.

With a couple of minutes remaining before the interval Cirencester worked the ball down the right and across to the left but the resulting cross was cleared.

Half Time:       0 – 0

Two minutes after the re-start Luckie carried the ball to the bye-line near the left side edge of the 6 yard box, evading tackles as he went, and once there pulled it back towards the left channel front edge of the penalty area where Bako struck a fierce right footed shot that Langley did well to save with his legs.

Cirencester countered and won a corner kick on their left that Kotwica sent towards the back post where Bower nearly capped his first start for the Club with a goal but his header from the right front corner of the 6 yard box was blocked and cleared.  

As the game approached the hour Cirencester mounted an attack as Knight found Mortimer-Jones to the right of the centre circle and he in turn sent the ball to the left front corner of the Redditch penalty area for Hooper to chase and collect. As he was closed down he managed to win a throw-in level with the front edge of the visitor’s penalty area. From the Cirencester throw-in Redditch won the ball and launched it downfield for JAZZ LUCKIE to drive down the left channel before cutting back onto his right foot, as he reached the front edge of the Cirencester penalty area, and fire a low shot that found the back of the net inside the left post – much to the delight of his team-mates.  0-1.

Four minutes later Cirencester were awarded a free kick on their left flank that Kotwica sent to the back post for Liddiard but his header passed narrowly wide of the right upright.

Almost immediately the busy Liddiard, near the centre circle, headed the ball into the path of Knight as he darted down the left channel. Knight moved it to his right to Hooper who sent it to the left flank for Kotwica and he charged forward and struck a right footed shot from 25 yards that was deflected wide of the left post for a corner kick. Kotwica took the kick and Veiga managed to punch the ball off the top of Liddiard’s head as he looked to make contact.

Redditch added to their account shortly afterwards as Langley could only parry a fierce 30 yard drive, low to his right, and substitute LUKE SHEARER, who had only been on the pitch a minute or so, was quickest to react to squeeze the ball home from the narrowest of angles before Langley could recover.  0-2.

Two minutes later Shearer made a dash down the Redditch left flank and as he neared the bye-line he pulled the ball back for Bako to shoot but a well positioned Langley was on hand to save.

Cirencester replaced defender Ben Prictor with Alex Dinsmore to add more firepower to their cause, playing three at the back, and a deep Liddiard cross produced a corner kick on the left that flew across the front of the goal and was deflected for throw-in on the Cirencester right flank. This was sent into the Redditch area and cleared out for Mortimer-Jones to win it back and send it across the front edge of the visitors penalty area where Charlie Griffin flicked it to Kotwica on the left with the outside of his right boot. Kotwica’s cross was deflected onto Dinsmore as he charged in resulting in a goal kick.

As the game entered the final ten minutes Aidan Bennett received the ball on the right, just outside the Redditch penalty area, cut left, and fired a fierce shot that whistled past the left upright but took a slight deflection en-route for a corner kick to be awarded.  Kotwica’s corner kick was cleared but was recovered and sent back into the centre of the 6 yard box where it was cleared again dropping to Bower just inside the front edge of the area and he attempted a firm header that cleared the bar.

With four minutes to go Cirencester were awarded a throw-in on the left and Anson fed it across the pitch to Brown who played it forward to Liddiard and he laid it off to Kotwica who shot over the target from the left corner of the Redditch area.

Two minutes to full time and Shearer broke down the centre of the pitch to find himself 1 v 1 with Langley who advanced to make the save.

Shearer then broke down the right flank with Bower in pursuit and the youngster managed to force him wide to reduce his angle and when he did shoot it was deflected for a corner kick that was successfully defended.    

The final action of the game saw yet another run from Shearer, this time down the left channel, who cut back and shot but it was parried by Langley for a counter attack from Cirencester and when the ball reached Bennett on the left front corner he shot over the bar.

Final Score:     0 - 2


Attendance:     107
Referee:          Adrian Gillett

This was a game full of endeavour and determined defending from Cirencester to withstand the pace of Redditch.

Cirencester worked their way into the game and displayed some neat football of their own before the interval but after the break they were undone by the pace of the Redditch front line as they countered quickly.

Try as they did, Cirencester were unable to break through and create any clear openings against a well organised Redditch defence.


Cirencester Town:

1.   Josh Langley
2.   Anthony Brown
3.   Ben Prictor                        
4.   Matt Bower
5.   Matt Liddiard
6.   Shayne Anson
7.   Brad Hooper                                  
8.   James Mortimer-Jones
9.   Charlie Griffin                              
10.  Zak Kotwica
11.  Ollie Knight                                   

12.  Alex Dinsmore                    (Ben Prictor-73mins)
14.  Adam Connolly      
15.  Aidan Bennett                    (Ollie Knight-78mins)              


Redditch United:  

1.   Jose Veiga
2.   Jordan Liburd
3.   Calum Flanagan
4.   Maxwell Loveridge
5.   James Mutton
6.   William Richards
7.   Robert Thompson-Brown
8.   Eli Bako
9.   Jazz Luckie                                    58
10.  Ashley Sammons     (C)                              
11.  George Carline

12.  Cameron Young                 (Maxwell Loveridge-75mins)
14.  Luke Shearer                     (Jazz Luckie-64mins) 65
15.  Jack Hallahan                    (Robert T-Brown-80mins)                    
16.  Jamie Molyneux               
17.  David Bridgewater              

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020