skip to content

Southern League 2015-16

Premier Division


Cirencester Town   1 – 2   Histon   

Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


Despite the recent heavy rain Cirencester played their second game in four days at the Corinium Stadium when they faced fellow strugglers Histon.

Before the match ‘The Stutes’ sat in 20th position in the Premier Division table (Cirencester – 17th) and 19th in the ‘6-Match Form Guide’ table (Cirencester 18th) so the result of the game was crucial to both sides as they searched for points to move up the table.

The Centurions starting eleven had one change in personnel from that which took to the field in the previous match with Jamie Reid starting his first game of the season in place of Ollie Knight in midfield. The ‘set-up’ of the team however had a number of positional changes as Aidan Bennett was moved from left back to a forward role, Ellis Dunton returned to left back, Shayne Anson moved inside to right centre back and James Mortimer-Jones moved to right back.

The home side kicked off playing towards the SHED END of the ground on a calm, dry evening (it did not stay this way) and immediately took the game to their visitors as within the first minute Aidan Bennett, relishing his return to a more advanced role, drove down the left channel at pace and played the ball up to Charlie Griffin who fired a right footed shot from the front edge of the area just wide of the right post.

Five minutes later Bennett made another driving run down the same channel but this time he struck a fierce shot that whistled just over the bar from 25 yards.

Despite this early thrust from the home side it was Histon who opened the scoring when a long ball down their right channel reached JOSHUA OYINSAN just outside the Cirencester penalty area. Oyinsan failed to control the ball cleanly but it fell to a supporting Ryan Auger, 3 yards to his left, and when the latter returned it to Oyinsan (further into the penalty area – to the right of the 6 yard box) he smashed it for all he was worth into the roof of the net from the narrowest of angles.  0-1.

Shortly before the quarter hour mark of the match Matt Liddiard switched play from the right to Bennett in the left corner and when forced wide so that he was facing the touchline Bennett made a sharp turn and crossed with his left foot to the back post where Histon struggled to head it clear.

As the mid-point of the half approached Ellis Dunton played the ball down the left channel to Jamie Reid who slipped it through to Griffin, left of centre - front edge of the Histon penalty area, and he fired a left footed shot wide of the right post.

Cirencester then spent the next couple of minutes probing from left to right looking for an opening but Histon were resilient and kept their shape to deny them.

Around the half hour mark it was the visitors who enjoyed a period of possession as they advanced winning a free kick on their right flank. The kick towards the penalty spot was headed clear but fell to Curtis Fulcher 25 yards out, left channel, and he immediately sent a dipping right footed shot that just cleared the crossbar.

Zack Kotwica then went on one of his familiar driving runs down the right flank and once in the corner he sent a low cross towards the front edge of the 6 yard box that Histon just managed to defend.

With the interval approaching Dunton collected the ball on half way and moved it forward and  right to Reid who took one touch and fired a powerful right footed shot that visiting ‘keeper Denzel Gerrar managed to deflect over the bar with his fingertips.

The final attempt at goal came from Histon deep into added time as Auger tried a speculative effort from 35 yards that passed by the home sides left post.

Half Time:       0 – 1

Within a minute of the re-start Cirencester were awarded a free kick in the right corner and Kotwica sent the kick towards the front edge of the 6 yard box where Shayne Anson headed it over the bar.

A couple of minutes later Griffin released Bennett down the left side of the Histon penalty area and as he neared the bye-line he clipped a superb ball to the back post where ZACK KOTWICA rose to head under the bar and inside the right post from two yards out.  1-1.

Buoyed by this success the home side pushed forward in search of another and when Bennett won a corner kick on the left Griffin headed over the bar from the centre front edge of the 6 yard box.

Two minutes later they were back again as James Mortimer-Jones sent a deep cross from the right channel into the Histon area and this time Liddiard headed over the bar.

This action was soon to be followed by Bennett producing another driving run down the left channel after he had collected a clearance from a right wing corner kick. Once he was 25 yards out he struck a powerful shot that fizzed past the left post.

At this stage Histon were relying on counter attacks and from one on the hour they were awarded a free kick on the right touchline, 25 yards from the corner flag. Ryan Auger sent the kick into home penalty area where it ricocheted around a bit before landing at the feet of DANNY RUMENS, just inside the area – left of centre, and he calmly struck a low left footed shot that passed through the crowded area in front of him and inside the right post.  1-2.

Cirencester had to push forward in search of an equaliser and shortly after entering the last quarter Nick Freeman temporarily eased the pressure as he collected a ball on half-way and sped down the right flank towards the corner. Once there he sent a cross into the 6 yard box that Garner could only push wide for a corner kick on the left which was comfortably defended.

Cirencester won a throw-in in the left corner which Dunton launched towards the front edge of the 6 yard box. The ball was returned to him and he sent a cross to the back post where Griffin headed wide of the post.

A few minutes later Dunton crossed towards Griffin again but this time Rumens intervened to head clear.

The final ten minutes or so was a constant barrage from Cirencester with balls into the box and attempted passes through the front line of the Histon defence from just outside the box, but the visitors were resolute – defending with everything they had and they hung on to secure a very important away three points.

Final Score:     1 - 2

Another disappointing result for the Centurions.

The return of Aidan Bennett to the frontline provided more threat but there were not enough shots from 20+ yards - given the downpour of the second half that resulted in appalling conditions for a goal-keeper.


Attendance:     92

Referee:          Simon Knapp


Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner
2.   James Mortimer-Jones
3.   Ellis Dunton                                   
4.   Shayne Anson                                            
5.   Matt Liddiard                                                                    
6.   Leigh Henry     (C)                             
7.   Zack Kotwica                                  48                
8.   Adam Connolly                   
9.   Charlie Griffin                                                                  
10.  Jamie Reid
11.   Aidan Bennett                  

12.  Brad Hooper                      (Matt Liddiard-75mins)
14.  Ross Langworthy                (Jamie Reid-69mins)    
15.  Ollie Knight                                               



1.   Denzel Gerrar
2.   Miles Smith                      
3.   Jack Utteridge                              
4.   Evan Key    
5.   Daniel Gleeson
6.   Danny Rumens                              60 
7.   Curtis Fulcher                                        
8.   Rogan McGeorge                            
9.   Joshua Oyinsan                              7                    
10.  Ryan Auger                                   
11.  Nick Freeman                                

12.  Dauydas Kairys                  
14.  Luke Brown
15.  Matt Allan                        
16.  Elkanah Sibanda                (Ryan Auger-69mins)                                                    

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020