skip to content

Evo Stik Southern League 2015/16

Premier Division

 Bideford   1 – 1   Cirencester Town   


Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


Cirencester made the long journey to Devon for a midweek league fixture against Bideford who were in 22nd place in the Premier Division table and 20th in the '6 match form guide' table. 

As a result of their recent dip in form Cirencester have dropped to 13th in the league table and 23rd in the 'form' table so a difficult game was expected.

Following the disappointing result on Saturday (5-1 home defeat by Dunstable Town) Manager Brian Hughes made a number of changes to the Cirencester starting eleven:-

- in defence Ellis Dunton moved across to right back, Ben Brown started alongside Leigh Henry in the centre and Mark Pritchett moved to left back. 

- in midfield James Mortimer-Jones was joined by Brad Hooper and a returning Matt Liddiard who had signed on a dual registration basis from Gloucester City in mid-week.

- up front Ross Langworthy started on the right flank and Ollie Knight the left, with Charlie Griffin playing down the middle.

- the bench consisted of Josh Parsons, Connor Thompson, Zack Kotwica and Aidan Bennett.

The home side kicked off on a cool, damp evening on a flat but slippery pitch (due to the heavy rain earlier in the day) and almost immediately Cirencester won possession enabling Matt Liddiard to exchange passes with Ellis Dunton before moving the ball out to Ross Langworthy on the right wing. The resulting cross was cut out and booted off the park for a throw-in, deep in the corner, which was successfully defended.

Seven minutes after  the start Cirencester's Matt Liddiard had a pot at goal from 30 yards, left channel, that was going in the direction of the right post when home 'keeper Kyle Moore intervened, initially to parry, then collect.

The home side's response was a long throw-in from Billy Tucker, on their left flank, into the 6 yard box where it was back-headed across the front of the goal but there was no-one near enough to take advantage for The Robins and the threat was cleared.

In the early stages Matt Liddiard and Brad Hooper were very busy and Liddiard sent a long ball from halfway into the right corner where Langworthy chased, collected and won a throw-in.

Shortly afterwards Hooper, Liddiard and James Mortimer-Jones exchanged passes before the latter sent the ball to Langworthy in the right corner who again won a throw-in that came to nought but the pressure was mounting and a minute later Cirencester opened the scoring.

The busy Langworthy crossed from the right to the centre front edge of the 6 yard box where CHARLIE GRIFFIN pounced to powerfully head inside the left post.  0-1.

Immediately from the rest-start Cirencester won the ball and sent a through ball down the centre of the pitch for Griffin to quickly close on Moore, the ball broke free to a supporting Ollie Knight but Moore blocked again and it rebounded out to Langworthy , front edge of the area- left channel, who fired a right footed shot at goal but it was deflected for a corner kick from the right.

Cirencester were enjoying plenty of possession and Hooper slipped a well- weighted ball in behind the Bideford right back for Knight to collect. Knight made ground to the left front corner of the area and fired his shot just wide of the left post.

On the half hour the visitors thought they had increased their lead as a corner kick from the left was headed into the back of the net but Referee Lee Roberts decided that Moore had been fouled as the kick came in and blew his whistle for a free kick to the home side.

A long clearance punt downfield by Dunton cleared the Bideford back line, requiring Ed Palmer to hook the ball over his shoulder whilst facing towards his goal, and as a result the ball was collected by Langworthy who rifled in a shot from 25 yards, right channel, that was deflected for a right wing corner kick.

A few minutes later the home side won a corner kick on their right flank that Tucker drove towards the back post. Glyn Garner, surrounded by players from both sides, couldn't get to the ball and it fell to ground, bounced high and was volleyed over the bar.

As the half entered the last ten minutes Hooper struck a fierce shot from 25 yards, left channel, that was deflected just wide of the left post for a corner kick. Langworthy took the kick and after striking the top of the crossbar it went behind for a goal kick.

The home goal survived another attack as Langworthy crossed from the right to the near post where Knight had darted in from the left to produce a back-header that Moore just managed to push away from his goal before Hooper could get to it.

The final goalmouth action of the half came as Matty Andrew crossed from the Bideford left flank into the Cirencester 6 yard box where Garner, under pressure, had to punch the ball clear.

Half Time:       0 – 1

After the break Cirencester continued as they had finished and seven minutes into the half Liddiard and Hooper exchanged passes in midfield before the ball was played out to Knight on the left. When Knight crossed into the box the home side conceded a corner kick that Knight sent to the back post where Moore gathered at the second attempt.

A few minutes later Hooper made a break down the left channel and played the ball inside to Langworthy who shot just wide of the left post as he entered the penalty area.

Bideford countered as Tucker laid the ball into the path of Richard Groves in the left channel, 30 yards out, and he struck a fierce drive goal-wards but it hit his team-mate Matty Andrew to deflect wide of the target for a goal kick.

Just before the hour mark of the game Cirencester won a corner kick on the right that Langworthy sent into the area where a defensive block returned it to him. He crossed again and the ball reached Leigh Henry who displayed excellent touch and footwork to control and evade an incoming challenge before moving the ball on to Knight who shot over the bar as he was quickly closed down and put under pressure on the centre front edge of the area.

The Bideford equaliser came from the penalty spot as a long ball down the centre was chased by Angus Wilson and as he darted between two defenders on the edge of the Cirencester penalty area there was contact and he fell to the ground. The Referee awarded a penalty kick and after some discussion between Referee and Assistant a Yellow Card was awarded against Mark Pritchett. Following the delay for this dialogue BILLY TUCKER stepped up and smashed the ball inside the left post as Garner dived in the opposite direction.  1-1.

Almost immediately from the re-start Hooper received a ball in the right channel of the Cirencester half and played the ball over the home back line for Griffin to collect and seeing Moore off his line he attempted a right footed lob from 35 yards but the ball drifted wide of the right post.

With fifteen minutes of normal time remaining a Bideford counter attack on the right flank and cross found Jamie Chamberlain near the front edge of the area, left channel, but he miss-kicked his shot at goal and Garner was able to gather.

The home side were awarded a free kick on their right flank following a counter attack and when the kick was sent to the far post Dunton did well to head clear under pressure from a couple of opponents.

Both sides were going for a ‘winner’ and counter attacking so play was becoming a bit frantic and five minutes from the end of normal time Nick Barker struck a free kick wide of the left post from five yards outside the penalty area.

Cirencester responded with a period of pressure in the right corner as a couple of long throws into the penalty area from Dunton resulted in a couple of corner kicks but the home defence remained firm.

Bideford then broke down the left channel and Chamberlain drove the ball at the Cirencester goal from the front edge of the area and Garner had to push the effort wide of his left post for a corner kick that was cleared.

In time added-on Garner took a free kick from inside his half and sent the ball out to James Mortimer-Jones on the left and he whipped it into the Bideford penalty area. The home defence cleared it but it was collected by Langworthy 25 yards out, centrally, and he immediately shot at goal but he wide of the right post.  

Final Score:     1 - 1

A much improved performance from The Centurions who had a more balanced look about them and the energy of Matt Liddiard and Brad Hooper ensured plenty of supply to the front runners, particularly in the first half.

The second half was more even and during the last ten minutes or so Cirencester applied a lot of pressure but had to maintain their defensive concentration as Bideford counter attacked quickly.


Attendance:     214

Referee:          Lee Roberts



1.    Kyle Moore
2.    Nick Milton
3.    Nick Barker
4.    Sean Downing
5.    Ed Palmer
6.    Danny Harrison
7.    Matty Bye     (C)
8.    Richard Groves
9.    Kevin Squire
10.   Billy Tucker                                              67p
11.   Matty Andrew

12.   Ian Sampson                                 (Ed Palmer-35mins)
14.   Jamie Chamberlain                        (Billy Tucker-73mins)
15.   Angus Wilson                                (Richard Groves-58mins)
16.   Ryan Sanders


Cirencester Town:

1.    Glyn Garner
2.    Ellis Dunton
3.    Mark Pritchett
4.    Ben Brown
5.    Brad Hooper
6.    Leigh Henry     (C)
7.    Matt Liddiard
8.    James Mortimer-Jones
9.    Charlie Griffin                                          22                               
10.   Ollie Knight
11.   Ross Langworthy

12.   Josh Parsons
14.   Connor Thompson                          (Ollie Knight-67mins)
15.   Zack Kotwica                                                       
16.   Aidan Bennett       

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020