skip to content

Southern League 2015-16

Premier Division


Cirencester Town   1 – 5   Dunstable Town   

Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


The latest visitors to the Corinium Stadium for a Southern League Premier match were ‘in-form’ Dunstable Town who had won four and drawn two of their last six fixtures to place them second in the ‘6 match form guide’ table.

The slump in form for Cirencester, following their spate of injuries, sees them down in 19th position in this table although clinging on to 8th place in the league table (Dunstable are currently 17th).

The Centurions starting eleven had one change from the team defeated by Poole Town last week as Josh Parsons took the place of Brad Hooper who dropped to the bench.

Cirencester kicked off in damp conditions playing towards the Shed End of the ground but their first attack came to an end as they were caught offside.

The first ten minutes was frantic as the teams sought control and as a result neither side retained the ball for long. Cirencester produced a measured play as they advanced down the left flank with Adam Connolly feeding Ellis Dunton who moved the ball down the line to Zack Kotwica but when he crossed into the centre of the 6 yard box the ball was headed clear and a Dunstable counter attack down their right flank resulted in a corner kick. Luke Pennell headed the kick over the bar but was adjudged to have committed a foul in his eagerness to reach the ball.

Shortly afterwards Dunstable opened the scoring as a right wing cross from Connor Calcutt reached the left front edge of the home penalty area where VICTOR OSOBU produced a superb right footed volley that flew inside the far right post.  0-1.

A couple of minutes later the visitors increased their lead as CONNOR CALCUTT charged down an attempted pass down the right touch-line, near half way, by James Mortimer-Jones and when the ball rebounded into his path he quickly made ground to the home penalty area. As he approached the left front corner of the 6 yard box Glyn Garner moved forward to reduce his target but the forward calmly slipped the ball inside the left post.  0-2.

Midway through the half Cirencester once again strung a number of passes together as they played their way out of defence from left to right but a minute later Dunstable had won the ball back and increased their lead. A clearance from the Cirencester penalty area was intercepted and fed to DAVID KEENLEYSIDE, to the right of the penalty spot, and after he evaded a couple of challenges his first shot was parried by Garner but he collected the rebound and tucked it inside the left post.  0-3.

As the half hour mark approached Cirencester’s Leigh Henry released Dunton on the left who cut in and fired a shot towards goal but his effort was blocked and came out to the Cirencester right flank where it was sent towards the left post for Connor Thompson to dart in and head back to Mark Pritchett who had his shot blocked. As the visitors attempted to clear the danger they conceded a free kick, left channel – 30 yards out, but this too was defended.

Shortly afterwards Cirencester were awarded a free kick that they sent into the Dunstable penalty area and the clearance kick launched the ball down the right flank towards the right corner where Osobu ran 30 yards to collect and cross to the back post for Calcutt to head. The ball fell to Keenleyside in the left channel front edge of the area and he sent a low drive towards the left post forcing Garner to tip the ball round his post.

The home side responded with a series of passes between Mortimer-Jones, Kotwica, Parsons and on to Thompson, on the left side of the area, who moved right and shot but the attempt was blocked.

Not to be outdone Dunstable attempted a 40 yard shot that Garner had to tip over his bar.

With eight minutes of the half remaining Cirencester produced another passing move involving several players as they moved from left to right looking for an opening. When the ball reached the front edge of the area, right channel, Parsons turned and fired a low shot that Paul Bastock in the visitor’s goal saved inside his left post.  

As Cirencester pushed forward Dunstable were relying on counter attacks and the hard working Calcutt collected a long ball downfield in the right channel and took a couple of steps before firing wide of the left post.

Cirencester switched play from left to right as Pritchett found Aidan Bennett and he in turn slipped the ball inside to Parsons in the centre and, spotting Dunton on an overlapping run, he fed the ball to the left flank where the fullback drove the ball towards the target but it was deflected wide of the right post for a corner kick. When the kick came in Charlie Griffin was at the back post but he headed into the side netting.

As the half was coming to a close Dunstable were awarded a free kick just inside the home penalty area that the ‘wall’ managed to charge down but it was quickly fed back in for Osobu, to the left of the penalty spot, to shoot and Garner had to be alert to push the ball over the bar from close range.

Half Time:       0 – 3

Cirencester came out for the second half in positive fashion and within the first minute Griffin latched on to a long ball down the right flank and shot resulting in a corner kick. Mark Pritchett headed the kick wide of the right post.

During the first few minutes Cirencester exerted some pressure on the visitors defence and when Kotwica crossed from the right to Dunton at the back post the resultant header was caught by Bastock.

The pressure was mounting on Dunstable and early in the half a long punt downfield by Garner cleared the midfield and was latched onto by CHARLIE GRIFFIN in the right channel, front edge of the penalty area, and as Bastock advanced the experienced Griffin calmly produced a sublime lob to score.  1-3.

Encouraged by this break-through a minute later Adam Connolly slid a pass down the centre for Thompson to collect, just inside the area, but his shot was blocked, rebounding to Griffin who also saw his shot blocked.

During the early stages of the half the action had been around the visitor’s penalty area but Dunstable had shown towards the end of the first half that they were extremely dangerous on the break with the pace of Osobu and Gary Wharton on the flanks.

A counter attack on the right reached Osobu who took the ball down the flank and as he entered the home penalty area he was forced wide by Garner enabling a covering Dunton to block the shot from a narrower angle at the base of the right post.  

Despite the possibility of these breaks Cirencester continued to push forward searching for a second goal and a series of throw-ins on the left were well defended.

Fifteen minutes into the half Cirencester were awarded a free kick on the right that Kotwica sent towards the penalty spot for Leigh Henry to head but a well positioned Bastock caught his effort in the centre of his goal.

A long throw from Dunton on the left reached Griffin as he darted forward to the front edge of the 6 yard box but Dunstable managed to block.

Griffin then turned provider as he collected a ball in the left corner and crossed to the centre front edge of the 6 yard box where Thompson produced a right footed volley that struck the inside of the left post before rebounding out to be cleared.

This action was followed by a Dunstable break as Osobu, on the right, slipped the ball through for Wharton who took the ball down the right channel of the penalty area, cut back and fired a left footed shot over the bar from the side edge of the 6 yard box.

Just after the half hour Parsons took a right wing corner kick that reached Ross Langworthy who switched play to Ollie Knight on the left and he in turn slipped the ball behind the Dunstable full back for an overlapping Dunton but Bastock had read the danger and managed to block.

Cirencester were showing plenty of urgency but were unable to break down a well organised Dunstable defence and with five minutes of normal time remaining the visitors added to their goal tally as a quickly taken free kick on their right was fed to substitute CHRIS VARDY on the left front edge of the home penalty area and he wasted no time in driving forward and firing a low left footed shot inside the right post.  1-4.

To rub salt into the wound Dunstable completed the scoring in time added–on as LEE ROACHE received the ball and attacked down the centre. Once on the front edge of the box he managed to cut between a covering Bennett and Garner leaving him with time and space to stop the ball on the line before driving it into the back of the net.  1-5.

Final Score:     1 - 5

A confident Dunstable showed Cirencester how to finish and defend a lead.

After going three down The Centurions pushed forward and created some pressure but were unable to turn it into goals and inevitably left a huge space for their opponents to exploit on the counter.

Had Cirencester scored a second for 3-2 it might have been interesting.


Attendance:     86

Referee:          Philip Staynings


Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner

2.   Aidan Bennett

3.   Ellis Dunton

4.   Mark Pritchett                                          

5.   Adam Connolly                               

6.   Leigh Henry     (C)                             

7.   Zack Kotwica                   

8.   James Mortimer-Jones

9.   Charlie Griffin                               53                               

10.  Josh Parsons

11.  Connor Thompson               


12.  Ross Langworthy               (Zack Kotwica-64mins)

14.  Brad Hooper          

15.  Ben Brown                          (Mark Pritchett-75mins)                     

16.  Ollie Knight                        (Adam Connolly-70mins)


Dunstable Town:

1.   Paul Bastock   (C)

2.   Zak Reynolds                    

3.   Luke Pennell                                   

4.   Danny Talbot    

5.   James Kaloczi

6.   Adam Pepera    

7.   Victor Osobu                                  12                                         

8.   David Keenleyside                           23

9.   Connor Calcutt                                15                    

10.  Steven Gregory

11.  Gary Wharton


12.  Lee Roache                         (Connor Calcutt-78mins) 90+2

13.  Brad Stewart (GK)

14.  Chris Vardy                        (Victor Osobu-70mins)  85                   

15.  Jamel McKenzie-Lowe                    

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020