skip to content

Evo-Stik Southern League 2015/16

Premier Division


Frome Town   3 - 2   Cirencester Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


Cirencester travelled the relatively short distance to meet an improving Frome Town for their latest mid-week league fixture. 

‘The Robins’ have seen a change in fortunes recently under new manager Nick Bunyard and despite their lowly position in the league table they have obtained draws in their last two fixtures against top of the table sides Chippenham and Leamington.

The Centurions had another ‘new’, but familiar, face joining their ranks in mid-week as Connor Thompson has joined on a month’s loan from Gloucester City. Connor graduated through the ranks of the Cirencester Academy a few years ago and appeared for the First Team before taking up a scholarship in America. 

The Cirencester starting eleven was unchanged from the side that secured the points at St. Neots with the exception of the injured Zack Kotwica who was replaced by Connor Thompson on the right wing.

Within a couple of minutes of kick-off the hosts made the first attack down their right flank as Liam Monelle carried the ball to the corner and crossed but it was cut-out at the near post. 

Cirencester responded with a break down their left wing that resulted in a left footed volley from Connor Thompson near the penalty spot but the connection was not clean and Darren Chitty in the home goal collected easily.

It was a frantic start to the match and a minute later Lewis Haldane released an overlapping Darren Jefferies down the left flank and when he reached the bye-line he crossed into the box but there was no contact until it appeared on the right flank where it was immediately sent back towards the danger zone and blocked for a corner kick.

Cirencester won a corner kick on their right and Charlie Griffin attempted an ambitious overhead kick with his back to goal that struck the side-netting.

Just before the mid-point of the half Glyn Garner launched a ball downfield that Thompson collected and carried down the right channel. Once he reached the front edge of the area he shot and saw Chitty parry his effort to a supporting Ross Langworthy but his left footed strike was deflected wide of the target by Griffin who couldn’t get out of the way.

As the half was nearing the half hour mark Frome enjoyed some good possession on their right that took them into the corner where the ball was pulled back to Monelle who struck a fierce shot just wide of the right post from the front edge of the area.

A couple of minutes later Cirencester won a corner kick on the left and when Chitty punched the ball out it was collected by Griffin , to the left of the penalty spot – back to goal, who on the turn struck his shot over the bar.

Another ‘on the turn’ effort from Thompson, following a ‘cross-cum-shot’ from Griffin on the right, was inches wide of the left post.

The deadlock was broken in the 37th minute as a long ball out of defence to the left flank cleared the visitors back-line enabling LIAM MONELLE to chase and collect. He carried the ball forward and once he reached the front edge of the area  he cut right and fired a low, curling effort that clipped the inside of the right post as it entered the net.  1-0.

Within a minute the score was level again as James Mortimer-Jones carried the ball down the centre of the pitch before slipping it wide to Griffin on the right who sent a low ball in the direction of the far left post where Mortimer-Jones had continued his run and was arriving at the centre front edge of the 6 yard box. The ball eluded Mortimer-Jones but his run had distracted the home defence and CONNOR THOMPSON arriving at pace at the far post smashed the ball home from a couple of yards.  1-1.

As the half was coming to an end Frome regained the lead following a free kick from the left. The kick was driven towards the far right post where KRIS MILLER collected it and turned back towards his own goal as his path to the Cirencester goal was blocked. He evaded a couple of challenges and managed to keep possession as he worked his way towards the front edge of the visitors area and once there he turned to his right and struck a fierce left footed shot that took a slight deflection en-route to the back of the net inside the left post.  2-1.

Half Time:   2 – 1.

The second half started at the same frantic pace as the first had finished and within two minutes Haldane received a ball in space on the right side edge of the Cirencester penalty area. He laid the ball back into the path of Miller who blazed his effort wide of the right post.

This was immediately followed by a Cirencester break down their left channel as Griffin headed the ball on to a charging Thompson who returned it. Griffin then played the ball out to Ollie Knight, in space on the right, who fired a shot over the bar.

As previously indicated the game was end-to-end and a minute later Monelle was driving down the left channel with Leigh Henry in hot pursuit causing the striker to shoot wide under pressure. Monelle was seeing lots of the ball at this stage and a few minutes later he repeated his driving run down the left channel, this time with Mark Pritchett in pursuit, and once he reached the area he cut back right to evade the incoming Pritchett block and fired a shot over the bar.

The home side were looking very dangerous on the break and their endeavour was rewarded when Monelle made another break down the right side of the Cirencester penalty area and slid a ball towards the near post where LEWIS HALDANE darted forward to produce a deft back heel that entered the net inside the right post.  3-1.

Within a minute Cirencester were awarded a free kick on the right that Thompson drove towards the penalty spot where Shayne Anson produced a good header that the home custodian caught under his crossbar.

Cirencester were pushing forward in search of a goal and James Mortimer-Jones produced one of his 30 yard strikes that fizzed wide of the left post.

At the mid-point of the half there was a six minute delay as the referee, Andrew Bennett, stopped the game due to an injury (thought to be a hamstring problem) and searched for someone to take over the duties of an Assistant Referee. Once someone had been found he retired from the game and one of his Assistants took over in the middle.

The Centurions continued to press and a break down their left as Thompson released Langworthy produced a left footed cross from the corner to the far post that was well defended resulting in a corner kick that was cleared.

Mark Pritchett played a ball down the left channel to Thompson who moved it right to a supporting Adam Connolly who had his shot from the front edge of the area blocked. The ball rebounded to Brad Hooper who shot wide of the right post.

With a minute remaining on the clock (excluding the 6 minutes to be added for the delay mentioned previously due to the injury to the referee) Griffin produced a powerful diving header from near the penalty spot, following a free kick, that just cleared the home cross-bar.

Four minutes later Joe Tumelty collected a ball inside the Cirencester half and quickly made strides down the right channel before moving left and striking a terrific left footed shot that looked destined for the top right corner until Garner launched himself to his left to push it round his post.

Minutes later Cirencester pulled a goal back as Jamal Lawrence received the ball on the right and played a low pass in to Thompson on the front edge of the home area. Thompson laid the ball back into the path of ADAM CONNOLLY who struck a tremendous, controlled, right footed shot that flew into the net from 30 yards for his first goal for the Club.  3-2.

Encouraged, Cirencester looked to get the all important equaliser and Frome had to withstand some pressure but held out to secure the three points.

Final Score:  3 - 2.

A disappointing result for Cirencester following the victory at St. Neots on Saturday but Frome had looked dangerous and lively going forward all evening and severely tested the Cirencester defence.

An entertaining match for the neutral with plenty of honest endeavour on view.


Attendance:     145

Referee:          Andrew Bennett


Frome Town:

1.   Darren Chitty

2.   Jake Hutchings

3.   Sam Teale    (C)

4.   Chris Knowles

5.   Stuart Dickin

6.   Ollie Knowles    

7.   Kris Miller                                      44        

8.   Rob Hobbs

9.   Liam Monelle                                  37                   

10.  Lewis Haldane                                60                   

11.  Darren Jefferies


12.  Joe Tumelty                       (Kris Miller-82mins)

14.  Jordan Walker                   (Liam Monelle-97mins)

15.  Matt Minnis                       (Lewis Haldane-84mins)

16.  Joprdey Nkunga                            

17.  Josh Jeffries                               


Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner

2.   Shayne Anson

3.   Aidan Bennett                   

4.   Mark Pritchett                              

5.   Adam Connolly                                90                   

6.   Leigh Henry            (C)    

7.   Connor Thompson                            38                

8.   James Mortimer-Jones

9.   Charlie Griffin                                                      

10.  Ollie Knight

11.  Ross Langworthy                                        


12.  Brad Hooper                       (James M-Jones-82mins)

14.  Jamal Lawrence                 (Ollie Knight-52mins)  

15.  Ben Brown                          (Ross Langworthy-82mins)       

16.  Sam Farr

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020