skip to content

Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division

Weymouth 2 – 0 Cirencester Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer 

The Centurions returned to Dorset for the second time in two weeks to play former Conference side Weymouth. The Terras have conceded ten goals whilst scoring two in their last three games to secure only one point and would no doubt be looking to put a stop to this current loss in form. They remain in second place in the league table however.

The Cirencester starting eleven was unchanged apart from Jacob Davidge replacing an injured Ed Williams and the bench consisted of Leigh Henry, Ollie Knight and Jordan Ricketts.

The visitors kicked off playing into the slight wind on a soft, flat pitch and seven minutes in had the ball in the back of the home net but it was disallowed as the referee decided a foul had been committed in the build-up.

The opening period was fairly even as the two sides searched for control but it was the home side who created an opening after ten minutes when Chris Shephard ran down the left flank to the side of the penalty area before crossing towards the near post but it was intercepted and Cirencester mounted a counter attack through Jacob Davidge, down their left channel, that was brought to an end by Calvin Brooks on the half way line. Brooks was awarded a Yellow Card for the tackle.

As the quarter hour mark approached George Rigg collected a loose ball 35 yards out, right channel, and sent a fierce shot towards goal that required Garner to dive full length to his left to tip around his post for a corner kick. Weymouth took a short corner but the cross that eventually came in was comfortably caught by Garner.

Within minutes Cirencester attacked down the right flank and Ian Herring sent a deep ball towards the penalty spot that Brooks sliced over his bar as Davidge closed in.

This was quickly followed by another dangerous cross from Herring in the right corner that home 'keeper failed to catch and the ball broke loose near the right post (from a Cirencester perspective) eventually arriving at the feet of Mark Pritchett, on the right side edge of the 6 yard box, and he chipped the ball towards the centre of the goal where Brooks, on the goal-line, managed to take it on his chest and clear.

The visitors then created an opening down the left flank as Ellis Dunton brought the ball to the half way line before clipping it over the home defence for a marauding Matt Liddiard to collect and drive down the left side edge of the penalty area. Liddiard crossed the ball with his left foot towards the penalty spot to a supporting Nat Jarvis but a covering Jamie Laird reached it first to clear.

Approaching the half hour Weymouth were awarded a free kick, 20 yards out - left channel, that Shephard drove into the defensive wall and when it rebounded to Neil Martin, right channel, his shot was blocked and cleared.

Weymouth then had another opportunity as a slip on the Cirencester left flank enabled Brooks to make ground to the bye-line before crossing but Gethin Jones was on hand, in the centre of the goal, to clear the danger.

The final goalmouth action of the half came with 8 minutes of normal time remaining as Davidge blocked an attempted cross, left channel - midway inside the visitors half, and immediately charged downfield until he reached the left side edge of the opposing penalty area. Once there he sent a low cross towards the centre front edge of the 6 yard box but it was cut out by Jason Matthews as Bennett dashed in to collect.

Half Time:   0 – 0

Within a minute of the re-start there was a period of head tennis on half way before the ball reached Bennett on the right flank and his cross was put behind for a right wing corner kick and this led to a shot from Davidge, 25 yards out - left channel, that Matthews saved comfortably.

Almost immediately Cirencester had retrieved the ball enabling Brad Hooper to release James Mortimer-Jones who shot from 25 yards, left channel, over the bar.

Twelve minutes into the half a high, deep cross from the right flank found Shephard at the back post, level with the penalty spot, and he produced a superb right footed volley that  Garner did well to push over the bar. When the corner kick came in there was a series of headers before Stuart Yetton shot over from the right side edge of the 6 yard box.

A few minutes later it was Cirencester who had a pot at goal after a quick throw from Herring to Jarvis and a lay-off to Hooper on a surging run. Hooper carried the ball and struck a left footed shot wide of the left post from the right channel - 20 yards out.

As the half reached the half hour point there was a period of pressure inside the visitor’s penalty area that required some desperate defending from Cirencester and after a series of attempted clearances Mark Pritchett headed the ball off the line after a Shephard chip from the front edge of the 6 yard box. 

The half had been fairly even but The Terras opened the scoring when a long ball from inside their half came down just inside the front edge of the Cirencester penalty area where CHRIS McPHEE had made a positive run to reach the ball first as Garner dashed from his line to collect. McPhee took the ball in his stride and rounded the stranded Garner to tap into the empty net.   1 – 0.

This encouraged the hosts and within a minute Adam Kelly received as ball on the left front edge of the area and attempted a right footed curler that passed wide of the far post.

Shortly afterwards a long, high ball from midfield found Dunton in an advanced position on the front edge of the home penalty area and whilst he ‘killed’ the ball well he shot wide of the right post.

Dunton was evident a few minutes later when Ollie Knight, who had just replaced Jacob Davidge, slipped a ball to him on the overlap down the left flank and his cross towards Jarvis was caught by Jason Matthews near the penalty spot.

The full back was having a busy few minutes and with three minutes of normal time remaining he was involved in his defensive role when Shephard moved in from the right flank and cut back onto his left foot as he entered the box. Dunton stuck out his right foot and stopped the ball but Shephard’s momentum carried him over the outstretched leg and he fell to ground – PENALTY was the shout and the referee duly pointed to the spot.  

Chris McPhee stepped up to take the kick but drove it high over the bar.

In ‘time-added-on’ Cirencester pushed forward in search of an equaliser and following a long throw into the Weymouth box the ball was partially cleared but as it was sent back Shephard managed to intercept and kick it down the left flank.  Jordan Copp chased after it from inside his half and carried it down to the left side edge of the Centurions penalty area before rolling it into the path of GEORGE RIGG who calmly side footed it inside the right post from near the penalty spot.  2 – 0.

Final Score: 2 - 0

After the initial ‘sparring’ as the two sides tested one another Cirencester enjoyed a period of possession but were unable to open their account and the second quarter was more balanced with the defences surviving intact.   

Weymouth showed a little more urgency in the second half and eventually got the better of their visitors who pushed forward to the final whistle.

Attendance: 528                               

Referee:      Iain Parsons


  1.   Jason Matthews
  2.   Calvin Brooks                    YC-10mins
  3.   Neil Martin
  4.   Chris McPhee
  5.   Robbie Matthews
  6.   Jamie Laird
  7.   Adam Kelly
  8.   George Rigg
  9.   Stewart Yetton.  (C)
 10.  Tim Sills
 11.  Chris Shephard

 12.  Steve Colwell
 14.  Dean Evans              (Tim Sills–62mins)
 15.  Ashley Wells
 16.  Alec Fiddes
 17.  Jordan Copp             (Stewart Yetton–83mins)


 1.   Glyn Garner
 2.   Ian Herring              YC-80mins            
 3.   Ellis Dunton
 4.   Mark Pritchett         (C)
 5.   Matt Liddiard
 6.   Gethin Jones
 7.   Brad Hooper            
 8.   James Mortimer-Jones
 9.   Nat Jarvis                        
10.  Aidan Bennett
11.  Jacob Davidge 

12.  Leigh Henry
14.  Jordan Ricketts         (James M-Jones-82mins)
15.  Ollie Knight              (Jacob Davidge-82mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022