skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Sollertis
  • Tiger Turf
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Cirecester Vape
  • Networld Sports
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Mainstream digital
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran

Southern League – Premier Division

 Cirencester Town   6 – 1  Dorchester Town


Match Report by Dave Pyzer

The Centurions returned to league action against Dorchester Town after a 10 day break due to their replay defeat at the hands of Shortwood United in the FA Cup.

The visitors were relegated from the Conference League South Division last season and have had an indifferent start to this season but following a recent change in management they have won their last three matches.  

The home team had a couple of enforced changes as Shayne Anson and Mark Pritchett were serving respectively the second and first of their three match bans.  As a result Gethin Jones started at right back and Ellis Dunton, who has recently returned to the Club after a short spell at Chippenham Town, took the place of Pritchett at centre back.  Jacob Davidge was promoted from the Development Team to take the place of Aidan Bennett who was absent due to a short holiday break.

In perfect conditions for football Dorchester kicked off playing down the slope and immediately attacked the home right flank.

The match began at a furious pace, which was maintained virtually throughout the game, and the Centurions opened the scoring after four minutes when the lively Ed Williams collected a 30 yard pass from Leigh Henry on the edge of his box and set off on a mazy run down the right flank that produced a cross from the left wing across the edge of the visitors 6 yard box where Nat Jarvis pounced to tap in at the back post.    1 - 0

Despite this early set-back Dorchester continued to produce fast counter attacks of their own and they were rewarded in the 12th minute when Chris Dillon launched a long throw from the left flank, in line with the penalty spot, to the back post where Jake Smeeton made a late run to firmly head into the back of the home net, inside the right post.   1 - 1

The visitors nearly took the lead four minutes later when Smeeton made a good overlapping run down the left flank and crossed to the back post where Nathan Walker headed wide of the target.

The match was producing end-to-end football and it was Cirencester who took the lead in the 24th minute following yet another fine run by Williams down three right before switching play to Jacob Davidge on the left. Davidge sent the ball towards the front of the 6 yard box where Jarvis turned sharply and fired in a shot that was deflected behind for a right wing corner. Willaims drove the kick to the back of the penalty area for Ellis Dunton to head back towards the penalty spot where Matt Liddiard headed against the crossbar and out to Williams who shot towards goal for Nat Jarvis to deflect into the net from two yards out.   2 - 1

Cirencester were now in full flow and eight minutes later another right wing cross reached Davidge who withstood a strong challenge and laid the ball back to Ben Prictor who launched it towards the near post from the left flank and the alert Nat Jarvis made a darting run to head it over ‘keeper Alan Walker-Harris and into the net inside the far post.  3 – 1


Half Time:   3 - 1


Dan Cann replaced Sam Lanahan during the interval for the visitors.

In the opening minute of the half Cirencester increased their lead further following tenacious work from Davidge who won the ball 10 yards inside the visitors half, rode two tackles and moved the ball out to Williams on the right wing who slipped it behind the visitors defence for Liddiard to collect near the right front edge of the 6 yard box. Walker-Harris came out to force him away from goal and he turned near the bye-line to pass the ball back across the 6 yard box for the eager Nat Jarvis to convert with a tap-in at the back post.   4 - 1

During the build-up to the goal defender Chris Dillon had injured his ankle and he was replaced by Steve Walker.

Cirencester nearly scored again after quarter of an hour when Jarvis struck a fierce left footed shot from the right edge of the penalty area that Walker-Harris could only parry. Davidge was on hand to collect on the left side of the penalty area and his right footed shot was blocked by the advancing ‘keeper and cleared.

Six minutes later the Centurions did increase their lead when Matt Liddiard chased down a ball on the centre edge of the penalty area and the attempted clearance rebounded off him and over the advancing Walker-Harris into the net.  5 - 1

Almost immediately from the kick off a dropping clearance reached Jamie Reid near the centre circle and he headed it back towards goal for Ed Williams to collect outside the box, turn, beat two players and push the ball past the covering defence before accelerating between them to collect near the penalty spot and calmly slip past the advancing ‘keeper with his left foot to enter the net inside the right post.  6 - 1

Dorchester then made their final change in personnel with Alex Godfrey replacing Ben Joyce whilst Cirencester made their first – Brad Hooper replacing Jamie Reid.

Five minutes later Williams embarked on another mazy run from the right exchanging passes with Jarvis on the edge of the box before returning to Jarvis who had his shot blocked.

Despite being behind the visitors continued to mount counter attacks and from one down their left flank Glyn Garner had to be alert and blocked a fierce drive that required Ellis Dunton to put behind for a corner whilst under pressure as the shot was followed up.

Shortly afterwards Shane Bumphrey replaced the dangerous Nat Jarvis.

Ten minutes from time Cirencester created another opportunity when Dunton played the ball up to Davidge, 10 yards outside the visitors penalty area – left of centre, and as the defence closed in on him he returned it to Dunton who chipped the ball into the corner for an overlapping Prictor to collect. Prictor made ground to the byeline before firing in a low cross that was blocked at the near post.

The final goal-mouth action came on the stroke of full time as a cross from the right was headed against the crossbar.


Final Score: 6 - 1


An enjoyable match - with both sides playing fast attacking football.

Both sides looked lively but a feature of the home side's play was the switching of the point of attack and the energy of Williams and Jarvis.

The match continued at a frenetic pace throughout and credit to Dorchester who played a full part in the encounter despite the scoreline.

Cirencester Manager Brian Hughes should be pleased with the performance of his team as from front to back everyone played their part with many noticeable performances.   

The Four Pillars Hotel Man of the Match Award was voted on by supporters and awarded to Nat Jarvis.

Attendance: 75                                 

Referee:      Gary Parsons

Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner
2.   Gethin Jones
3.   Ben Prictor
4.   Ellis Dunton
5.   Matt Liddiard
6.   Leigh Henry     (C)    
7.   Jamie Reid              
8.   James Mortimer-Jones
9.   Nat Jarvis               
10.  Jacob Davidge
11.  Ed Williams

 12.  Ben Wells
14.  Shane Bumphrey  (Nat Jarvis-76mins)
15.  Jamie Edge
16.  Brad Hooper        (Jamie Reid–70mins)
17.  Ryan Elliott


 Dorchester Town:

1.   Alan Walker-Harris
2.   Jason Brooks
3.   Jake Smeeton 
4.   Jamie Gleeson
5.   Nathan Walker    (C) 
6.   Chris Dillon       
7.   Nick Crittendon
8.   Sam Lanahan    
9.   Ben Joyce        
10.  Michael Hubbard
11.  Dan Smith 

12.  Steve Walker    (Chris Dillon-47mins)    
14.  Shane Murphy          
15.  Dan Cann            (Sam Lanahan-45mins)
16.  Callum Buckley
17.  Alex Godfrey      (Ben Joyce-70mins)


Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022