skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Tiger Turf
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Mainstream digital
  • SpecSavers
  • McDonalds Cirencester

The Calor League – Division One South & West

Cirencester Town   2 – 0  Cinderford Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer

John Brough was the visiting manager at the Corinium Staduim for the second successive Saturday, having transferred his allegiance from Bishops Cleeve to Cinderford Town in midweek.

The Cinderford Town players would no doubt be keen to impress their new manager whilst the Cirencester starting eleven was unchanged for the third successive match.

Cirencester kicked off playing up the slope towards The Shed end on a dry but windy day and immediately gave possession to their visitors as the ball was driven off the pitch on the left flank.

Within two minutes Cirencester were awarded the first free kick, left of the centre circle, which Glyn Garner launched into the visitors penalty area. His opposite number, Alex Harris came off his line and caught the ball cleanly near the penalty spot.

Shortly afterwards Aidan Bennnett collected the ball and played a clever ‘chip pass’ on the turn with his left foot into the path of Lee Smith on the left touchline which was stopped by a strong challenge leading to a throw-in level with the front edge of the penalty area. Once again Harris showed good handling ability as he caught the ball on the front edge of his 6 yard box preventing Mark Pritchett from heading it on.

Eleven minutes into the game Cinderford created a good opportunity when Andy Lewis released George Lloyd down the centre. Garner quickly came off his line to slice his clearance into touch from just outside the edge of his penalty area as Lloyd closed in.

The opening goal came in the 15th minute following a free kick on the right flank, 30 yards out, taken by Steve Davies and driven towards the left post for Mark Pritchett to rise and head down into the 6 yard box where Joe Shepherd reacted first to finish from a yard.   1-0

The visitors responded within four minutes after a block challenge on the right front edge of the penalty area by Pritchett the ball broke loose to the left side of the area where Garyn Preen collected it and cut back onto his right foot. His powerful curling shot towards the left post was parried by Garner and Brad Hooper completed the clearance.

Just before the half hour mark Keiron Thomas got behind the home defence along the right edge of the area and from the bye-line cut the ball back towards the front edge of the area but it was intercepted and the danger cleared.

A couple of minutes before the interval Cinderford were awarded a corner on their right which Preen sent in to the penalty spot for Greg Lewis to head wide of the left post.

Half Time:   1 - 0  

Two minutes after the re-start Cinderford intercepted a return pass following a Cirencester short throw-in and broke down the right wing but the cross was over-hit.

A minute later the Centurions increased their lead.  Lee Smith collected a pass on the left side of the area and kept moving to his right looking for an opening to shoot. Eventually he arrived on the right side of the area, pulled up sharply and switched the ball to his left foot and shot - his effort was blocked to the edge of the area where it was played back in to Aidan Bennett with his back to goal near the penalty spot. Bennett quickly turned and struck the ball inside the right post with his left foot.   2-0

Shortly afterwards Matt Liddiard latched onto a ball on the right edge of the area and struck a fierce drive goalwards that Harris did well to tip over for a corner on the left.

Cinderford then created a good chance to open their account when Andy Lewis won a header on the edge of the home area and fed Preen who advanced down the right channel before unleashing a shot that flew over the bar.

Davies then released Bennett down the right flank and when he attempted to cross from near the bye-line it was caught by Harris who had closed him down on the edge of his area. The referee ruled that Harris had caught the ball outside his area and awarded a free kick but it came to nothing.  

Cinderford were being very positive and at the mid-point of the half a Lloyd cross from the right corner found Andy Lewis at the near post but his shot was blocked for a corner.

The Centurions had the chance to finish the game off a couple of minutes later when Bennett, with his back to goal 30 yards out and under pressure, flicked a clever ball with the outside of his right foot into the path of Smith on the left. Smith advanced to the corner of the area and shot right footed into the side netting behind the left post.

With six minutes of normal time remaining Thomas was again released by Andy Lewis down the right and his ‘chip shot’ was tipped over the bar by Garner for a left wing corner.

Whilst waiting for the corner to be taken there was an incident in the home 6 yard box that left James Mortimer-Jones on his backside in the centre of the goal-mouth. Referee Matthews decided that substitute Sam Hunt, who had replaced Lloyd two minutes earlier, was to blame and awarded a Red Card.

On the stroke of full-time Jody Bevan, right of centre 10 yards inside the visitors half, slid a through ball inside the centre backs to the left flank where Smith collected, advanced and shot from the edge of the area. Harris parried the shot and Smith collected the rebound but was forced to his right before shooting wide of the right post from the right side of the area.

Final Score: 2 - 0

Cinderford played some nice passing football in the first half and looked very busy whilst their hosts were breaking quickly but not troubling Harris unduly as passes were being over-hit in the strong following wind.

The Centurions created more opportunities in the second half with some better passing but it certainly was not a classic due in part to the wind and the energy of their opponents.

Once again Mark Pritchett was uncompromising in defence, ably assisted by Leigh Henry, and the energetic Joe Shepherd was always in the thick of the action. The Four Pillars Man of the Match Award was chosen by the match sponsors and awarded to Joe Shepherd.

Attendance: 150                                

Referee:    Adam Matthews     


Cirencester Town:

1.    Glyn Garner
2.    Brad Hooper      
3.    Ellis Dunton
4.    Mark Pritchett
5.    Matt Liddiard
6.    Leigh Henry     (C)
7.    Joe Shepherd
8.    James Mortimer-Jones
9.    Aidan Bennett
10.  Steve Davies  
11.   Lee Smith               

12.  Jody Bevan       (Steve Davies-77mins)            
14.  Sean Wood                                       
15.  Ben Wells        (Joe Shepherd-81mins)    
16.  Dean Bromley  

Cinderford Town:

1.    Alex Harris
2.    Jonathan Newall
3.    Phil Veal
4.    Warren Archer         (C)    
5.    Greg Lewis
6.    Joe Tomulty    
7.    Keiron Thomas
8.    Dale Evans
9.    Andy Lewis
10.  George Lloyd
11.   Garyn Preen

12.  Sam Hunt                 (George Lloyd-83mins)                       
14.  Clayton Green           (Joe Tumulty-62mins)
15.  Dan Harrison             (Warren Archer-77mins)
16.  Jordi Sheen
17.  Demetri Doyle         

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023