skip to content

The Calor League – Division One South & West

 Cirencester Town   0 – 0  Tiverton Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


Cirencester were at the Corinium Stadium for the third match on the trot and in form Tiverton Town were the visitors.  Tiverton are top of the current form guide having won five and drawn one of their last six matches.  In the reverse fixture, which was the first match of the Season, the Centurions secured a 2-1 victory but Tiverton’s success in recent weeks has seen them rise to fourth in the table.

The starting line-up for the home side had something of a make-shift look about it with both Leigh Henry and Mark Pritchett missing from the centre of the back four, due to injury and suspension respectively.  As a result the two fullbacks Shayne Anson and Ellis Dunton moved into the centre back positions, with midfielder James Mortimer-Jones and striker Aidan Bennett taking the fullback slots.

Cirencester kicked off playing towards the Shed End on a pitch that proved to be difficult to judge as the rain earlier in the day had produced a slippery top surface and variable bounce.

Tiverton dominated possession in the first quarter hour allowing their hosts little room or time to get a foothold in the game.

In the 17th minute there was a strong shout for a penalty as Michael Nardielo went down easily as both stand-in centre backs bundled into him.

Cirencester’s first attempt on goal, three minutes later, was a long range shot from the left flank by Steve Davies that bounced in front of ‘keeper Michael Searle just inside the near post.  Jody Bevan latched onto the rebound near the left bye line and sent it back into the area for Matt Liddiard to attempt a lob, from the centre edge of the area, that Searle caught under the bar.

Within minutes Liddiard was on the receiving end of a strong tackle from John Heavern on the right flank but the free kick did not threaten the visitors defence.

Tiverton were very lively going forward and quick to close down and challenge a player in possession which would no doubt be the reason for their success.

Either side of the half hour James Mortimer-Jones and Josh Searle were awarded Yellow Cards – the former due to blocking a run from his opponent and the latter for a strong challenge in response.

Play was stopped again a minute later when a robust challenge on Joe Shepherd on the right touch line left him in a heap.

Tiverton enjoyed another period of dominance shortly afterwards as first James Richards broke down the right to have his shot blocked for a corner, then Heavern fired on a shot from 30 yards that cleared the bar, and finally another Richards break down the right which produced a dangerous cross that was cut-off before it could reach his team-mate.

Half Time: 0 - 0

Cirencester had weathered the storm and where Tiverton had dominated the first half, it was Cirencester who looked the more dangerous in the second.

Within two minutes of the re-start, Lee Smith made a surging run down the left and passed to Bevan who laid the ball back to Liddiard who shot from the centre edge of the area.  Searle dived to his right to make a good save inside his post at full stretch.

Tiverton reacted with a short period of pressure on their left that took them to the bye-line where the resulting cross was cleared by Shayne Anson.

The next home attempt on goal was route 1 football, as Glyn Garner launched a long free kick from the right flank that cleared Bevan, just outside the visitor’s penalty area, and landed in the path of Smith who carried it forward before shooting from level with the penalty spot.  His shot was parried by Searle for a left wing corner.

Cirencester nearly opened the scoring in the 55th minute when Sean Wood took a corner from the right that reached Ellis Dunton, left of the penalty spot, and his header looked destined for the top right corner of the goal but clipped the bar instead.

Ten minutes later, Shane Bumphrey, who had earlier replaced Jody Bevan placed a cushioned header into the path of the energetic Shepherd who drove the ball goal-wards from the centre edge of the area for Searle to produce another fine save.

Just after the mid-point of the half, Nardielo took on a shot from the left edge of the penalty area that Garner blocked.

Tiverton were awarded a free kick 25 yards out on the right when Aiden Chainey slipped on the surface as he attempted a sharp turn and Garner had to dive full length to punch it clear.

Shane Bumphrey collected a ball on the right flank and cut in to feed Smith who had his shot blocked but the ball ran loose towards the left and as Shepherd closed in he and Searle cannoned into one another, both being injured in the collision.  A goal kick was awarded.

With a couple of minutes remaining, Davies collected a ball on the right flank, inside his own half, and carried the ball across the pitch before switching play back to the right flank where Bumphrey once again headed the ball into the path of Shepherd but the resultant shot, from the right edge of the area was saved.

In the dying moments of the game, Tiverton could have secured a victory following a left wing corner.  The two central defenders challenged for the aerial ball with an opponent and collided for the ball to fall to Tom Garoner who immediately took on a right footed volley on the turn, from right of the penalty spot, which looked bound for the inside of the far left post but just went wide.

Final Score: 0 - 0

An entertaining game of the proverbial two halves that either side could have won but perhaps overall a fair result.

Attendance: 72                                  

Referee:    Kevin Howick

Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner
2.   Shayne Anson    (C)
3.   Ellis Dunton
4.   Sean Wood
5.   Matt Liddiard
6.   Aidan Bennett
7.   Joe Shepherd
8.   James Mortimer-Jones
9.   Jody Bevan
10.  Steve Davies  
11.   Lee Smith               

12.  Shane Bumphrey     (Jody Bevan-59mins)         
14.  Brad Hooper              (Sean Wood-70mins)                    
15.  Ben Prictor
16.  Kyle Pitts  
17.  Jack Smith


Tiverton Town:

1.   Michael Searle
2.   James Richards
3.   Chris Long
4.   Matt Villis    (C)       

 5.   John Heavern
6.   Tom Garoner    
7.   Aiden Chainey
8.   Dan Smith
9.   Michael Nardielo
10.  Aaron Wilson
11.   Josh Searle

12.  Matt Wright        (Michael Nardielo-74mins)                     
14.  Ryan Richards     
15.  Marcus Martin
16.  Maxim Kowal         (Aaron Wilson-81mins)
17.  Sam Malsom          (Josh Searle-61mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022