skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Subway Cirencester
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Mainstream digital
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Total Teamwear
  • SpecSavers
  • McDonalds Cirencester


The Calor League – Division One South & West

Cirencester Town   0 – 1  Swindon Supermarine

Match Report by Dave Pyze

Local rivals Swindon Supermarine, who are in a strong run of form having obtained 13 points in their last five games, were the visitors to the Corinium Stadium for this mid-week fixture.

In addition to the usual ‘bragging rights’ associated with a local derby game ‘The Marine’ would be looking to maintain their push for a play-off place come the end of the season so another difficult evening was anticipated. 

The starting eleven and formation for the Centurions was as the previous match against Thatcham on Saturday.

Supermarine kicked off playing with the slope towards the Arena.

The action was frenetic with neither side able to keep the ball for long and the first attempt on goal of note came from the visitors when Josh Parsons took a free kick just outside the home penalty area, near the left front edge.  His effort got through the massed defence and looked destined for the inside of the far post until Glyn Garner made a full length dive to tip it round the post for a corner.

Cirencester responded with a driving run from Lee Smith down the left flank and as he cut in between two defenders on the left edge of the penalty area the ball was taken off his toe for a corner.  Steve Davies drove the kick to the back post where Mark Pritchett headed wide of the right post.

The end-to-end nature of the game was illustrated just after the half hour mark when the visitors were awarded a corner on the left.  The ball reached Parsons on the right edge of the area and he drew a couple of defenders towards him before passing the ball to Chris Taylor in space 5 yards outside the area, right of centre.  Taylor had a pot at goal but his effort was comfortably saved by Garner who then punted it downfield for Davies to chase. Visiting ‘keeper Sam Warrell had spotted the danger and advanced to the edge of his area to catch the high bouncing ball before Davies could latch on to it. 

Shortly afterwards Aidan Bennett, who was very lively for the Centurions on their right flank, made a strong run and his dangerous cross was put behind for a corner that was cleared by the determined Supermarine defence.

The final attempt at goal came from the visitors when Taylor took a free kick on the right flank, with his left foot, and his effort was curling towards the top right corner before Garner stepped across to catch it.

During the first half Supermarine had been very quick on the break and looked very confident going forward, probably due to their recent run of results, requiring the home defence to be alert.

Half Time:   0 - 0

Within the first minute of the re-start Cirencester mounted an attack down the left flank with Matt Liddiard moving the ball on to Smith who returned it to Liddiard on the edge of the penalty area.  Liddiard took a touch and unleashed a fierce strike at goal that Warrell did well to parry from near the penalty spot.

A minute later it was Davies who supplied the ball, from the centre circle, to Smith who advanced towards the left corner before playing the ball back to Liddiard on the left edge of the penalty area.  Liddiard then sent a well weighted pass back to Smith inside the area. Smith collected it and struck a right footed shot towards the far right post but his effort was blocked.

Cirencester had come out for the second half looking more determined and ten minutes later it was Smith who returned the favour for Davies to shoot wide of the right post from 25 yards out, right of centre.

Not to be outdone Taylor was also wide of the right post from 25 yards out with a left footed volley.

Midway through the half Shayne Anson sent a deep cross to the penalty spot where Will Morford laid it back to Liddiard, on the edge of the penalty area, but his left footed volley cleared the bar.  

The deadlock was finally broken in the 73rd minute after Dan Hilder had taken a corner on the right. The ball was cleared back to Hilder, as he made his way towards the area, and without hesitation he struck a powerful left footed drive towards goal from outside the area which Garner could only block. The ball found its way to the Marine left flank where Harry Etheridge was lurking and he sent it into the 6 yard box where Ashley Edenborough reacted first to head home from a couple of yards out.   0-1

Cirencester immediately responded by bringing veteran striker Jody Bevan into the action, replacing Ben Prictor.

Shortly afterwards Smith carried the ball down the left flank and into the box before passing to Liddiard who took a touch which delayed his shot resulting in it being blocked.  The ball rebounded back to Liddiard who moved it to his right for Davies to shoot over the bar.

With ten minutes of normal time remaining Mark Pritchett headed a ‘Marine clearance, from near half way, back into the visitor’s penalty area where Morford headed it to Bevan but his shot was blocked.

Five minutes later it looked like the Centurions might level the score as Bennett collected a pass from Smith on the left and sent in a curling cross-cum-shot that cleared Warrell and looked like it was going to drop under the bar but unfortunately for the home side it just cleared the bar.

There was still time for a couple more efforts from Smith and Bevan but the visitor’s goal remained intact.

The final attempt at goal came from Josh Morse and Garner had to make another full length dive to his left to keep it out.

Final Score: 0 - 1

This was a typical ‘local derby’ with plenty of action in and around the penalty areas at each end and both teams giving their all to the cause.

Supermarine were extremely lively in the first half, mounting many quick breaks, whilst Cirencester had plenty of possession in the second half but lacked the necessary composure to convert the openings their play created.

Attendance: 151                                 

Referee:    Christopher Husband        

Cirencester Town:

1.    Glyn Garner
2.    Shayne Anson    (C)
3.    Ben Prictor
4.    Mark Pritchett
5.    Matt Liddiard
6.    Leigh Henry
7.    Aidan Bennett  
8.    James Mortimer-Jones
9.    Will Morford
10.  Steve Davies          
11.  Lee Smith               

12. Jody Bevan       (Ben Prictor-73mins)     
14. Sean Wood             
15. Joe Shepherd
16. Brad Hooper      
17. Ben Wells

Swindon Supermarine:

1.   Sam Warrell
2.   Kyle Lapham    (C)
3.   Mark Flanagan
4.   Jon Steedman
5.   Curtis Da Costa
6.   Chris Taylor    
7.   Dan Hilder
8.   Alex Ferguson
9.   Ashley Edenborough
10. Josh Parsons
11. Matt Jones

12. Joe Tustain     (Josh Parsons-67mins)                       
14. Jack Hooper          
15. Eddie Stevens
16. Harry Etheridge    (Alex Ferguson-51mins)
17. Josh Morse           (Matt Jones-74mins)


Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023