skip to content

The Calor League – Division One South & West

 Cirencester Town 2 – 2 Godalming Town


Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


The Centurions welcomed Godalming Town for their third home game on the bounce. The match was a second attempt to complete the fixture as the first, at the end of January, had been abandoned at half time following a deluge. In the one and half matches played so far Godalming had shown themselves to be a very capable side so a tough encounter was expected and it proved to be the case.

The home team had one change from the starting eleven that has taken to the field in the last four matches with Ben Prictor replacing Ellis Dunton. The latter being suspended - due to a Red Card he received whilst playing for the Development Team recently.

Godalming kicked-off playing towards the Arena end and certainly looked up for the game.

Cirencester started better than they had done on Saturday and mounted a couple of neat attacking moves within the first five minutes - the second of which started on the right flank involving Shayne Anson/Will Morford/Steve Davies and Sean Wood before Wood switched play to Ben Prictor on the left. Prictor exchanged passes with Lee Smith before crossing to Morford who back-headed the ball towards the back post from just outside the 6 yard box. The header looked to be looping over visiting ‘keeper Zaki Oualah but he produced a superb save to put the ball behind for a right wing corner.  

It was an encouraging start and shortly afterwards Davies produced a run down the left flank that took him to the bye-line, once there he crossed to the back post where Wood’s volley, level with the penalty spot on the right,  was blocked for a corner.

Midway through the half another cross from the left was headed back across goal where Smith produced an effort from the left edge of the 6 yard box that went wide of the right post.

Godalming were soaking up the pressure and mounting quick breaks of their own and from one of these Mark Pritchett was called upon to make a well-timed tackle on the left edge of his penalty area to stop the move in its tracks.

A minute later, in the 28th minute, Godalming opened the scoring following a throw-in on their left that found it’s way to the right edge of the 6 yard box. None of the home defenders claimed the ball and it landed at the feet of Jack Mazzone with his back to goal. Mazzone was allowed to turn and tuck the ball inside the near right post.   0-1

James Mortimer-Jones played a great ball over and behind the visitor’s defence for Smith to collect but as he cut inside he was brought to ground but the expected free kick was not awarded.

Five minutes before the interval Mazzone sent a left footed free kick on the right flank into the box where Chris Musgrove headed the ball just wide of the left post.

Ciren were peppering the Godalming box with crosses but having no affect as the visitors confidently headed the ball clear.

In the final minutes of the half Oualah pulled off a sensational point blank save to deny Smith from the left edge of the 6 yard box.

Half Time:   0 - 1

Within three minutes of the re-start Godalming increased their lead following a left wing corner that was flicked on by Graeme Purdy into the 6 yard box. Jack Mazzone reacted first to turn the ball over the line from a couple of yards out.   0-2

Manager Brian Hughes immediately replaced Sean Wood with a striker, Jody Bevan.

Ten minutes into the half Ciren had a corner on the right that reached Smith on the left and his cross produced a great header from Pritchett that Oualah did well to keep out low to his left.

Cirencester were turning up the pressure and dominating possession and Matt Liddiard fired in a powerful 25 yard shot that was deflected wide for a corner. This was quickly followed by an effort from Leigh Henry that was once again saved by Oualah low to his left.

Several players took pots at goal but the shooting was wayward although Will Morford did hit the left post from the left edge of the 6 yard box.

It was looking like one of those games where Ciren were never going to score despite plenty of possession and pumping many balls into the box.

Their effort was finally rewarded in the 85th minute when Jody Bevan latched on to a ball on the centre edge of the penalty area and fired in a shot that took a slight deflection to beat the outstanding Oualah and enter the net inside the left post.  1-2

It was now game on as Ciren looked for an equaliser.

Shortly afterwards Pritchett knocked Oualah over as he came in late to attack a cross and this resulted in a melee inside the goal that delayed the game for some minutes whilst the referee collected information from his assistants before issuing Yellow Cards to Pritchett and Gavin Miller.

Within a minute of the re-start Cirencester scored the equaliser when Glyn Garner threw the ball to Steve Davies in the right back position.  Davies made ground and ten yards short of the half way line he sent a long pass to the centre edge of the Godalming penalty area where Pritchett was waiting – he had not returned to his defensive position following the previous attack.  Pritchett, back to goal, slipped the ball to the left flank as he went down under pressure for Lee Smith to collect in space.  Smith immediately smashed the ball into the net for the all important equaliser to the delight of his team-mates and the home spectators.   2-2

There was barely time for the re-start before the final whistle was blown.

Final Score: 2 - 2

Another exciting game at the Corinium Stadium - with plenty of goalmouth action, commitment 
and incident.

Godalming clearly came with a game plan to stifle Cirencester and hit them on the break with long balls. The plan certainly worked as they soaked up considerable pressure with resolute, determined defending – often putting their bodies on the line.

Up front they were quick and decisive making the most of their few opportunities.

Cirencester enjoyed plenty of possession, particularly in the second half but lacked the necessary guile to turn this possession into the goals that might have been expected from such possession. It has to be said they showed plenty of character and never-say-die attitude to get a result that looked unlikely with 5 minutes to go.

Attendance: 94                                  

Referee:    Matthew Rushton   

Cirencester Town:

 1.   Glyn Garner
2.   Shayne Anson    (C)
3.   Ben Prictor
4.   Mark Pritchett
5.   Matt Liddiard
6.   Leigh Henry
7.   Sean Wood             
8.   James Mortimer-Jones
9.   Will Morford
10. Steve Davies          
11. Lee Smith                

12. Jody Bevan       (Sean Wood-50mins)     
14. Aidan Bennett   (Ben Prictor-60mins)  
15. Brad Hooper      
16. Joe Shepherd
18. Dean Bromley


Godalming Town:

1.   Zaki Oualah
2.   Jack MacFarlane
3.   Nick Hutchings
4.   Lee Wigley     
5.   Gavin Miller      (C)
6.   Chris Musgrove    
7.   Chris Wales
8.   Jack Broome
9.   Graeme Purdy
10. Jack Mazzone
11. George Bowerman 

12. Dan Read                    (Graeme Purdy-65mins)                    
14. Mark Watkins          (George Bowerman-77mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022