skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Sollertis
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • SpecSavers
  • Tiger Turf
  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Spire House

The Calor League – Division One South & West

 Cirencester Town 7 – 0 Clevedon Town


Match Report by Dave Pyzer 

Following their visit to the Principality at the weekend, Cirencester returned to action with a home fixture against Clevedon Town who defeated the Centurions earlier in the season – but since then there have been significant changes to The Seasiders squad.

The Centurions starting eleven was unchanged from the weekend.

Cirencester kicked off playing towards The Arena and as usual immediately kicked the ball off the park on the left flank.

Within two minutes of the start Matt Liddiard was in the action as he made a determined run down the left side of the penalty area and produced a left footed cross that drifted wide of the far post but none of his team–mates was able to latch on to it.

The Centurions started in very positive fashion and mounted a number of attacks in the first ten minutes but it took a long punt from Glyn Garner down the right flank to Steve Davies to start the ball rolling. Davies collected the ball and ran to the bye-line before crossing to a waiting Lee Smith, near the penalty spot.  Smith controlled the ball and calmly tucked it inside the right post to open the scoring after 11 minutes.    1-0

A few minutes later Sean Wood drove a long pass deep into the left corner for an overlapping Ellis Dunton that resulted in a throw-in and then a corner. The corner was headed out to the centre edge of the penalty area where Dunton attempted a right footed volley on the turn but it was charged down.

Just before the midpoint of the half Cirencester increased their lead following another left wing corner that landed at the feet of Mark Pritchett at the back post. Without hesitation Pritchett smashed the ball through the ruck of players in the 6 yard box to his far post where the defender could only deflect it into the net inside the right post (from a Cirencester viewpoint).   2-0

Undaunted, Clevedon responded when Nuno Felix collected a ball on the edge of the penalty area and fired in a fierce shot that Garner could only parry for a corner on the right.

Shortly afterwards the busy James Mortimer-Jones latched on to a headed clearance to take on a shot from 25 yards out but the visiting ‘keeper, Kane Mannings saved his effort.

Once again Clevedon reacted - this time with a 35 yard effort from Matt Thorne that was swinging in the air as it approached the home goal and Garner had to concentrate to catch it under the bar.

Just after the half hour mark Cirencester scored their third goal – a superb team effort. Dunton collected the ball just inside the Seasiders half on the left touchline and played it inside to Liddiard who returned it to Dunton as he advanced down the touchline.  Dunton moved it on to Smith further down the touchline and then continued his run, around Smith. Smith back-heeled it into Dunton’s path and Dunton passed it inside to Will Morford on the left edge of the penalty area. Morford, back to goal, then turned to his left and clipped the ball to Leigh Henry on the right edge of the penalty area. Henry controlled the ball and calmly struck his shot into the top right corner of the goal.     3-0

On the stroke of half time Clevedon were awarded a free kick, 30 yards out left of centre, and Felix once again showed his power as he struck another fierce drive towards goal that Garner parried at full stretch before it was cleared.

Half Time:   3 - 0

The half time talk in the Seasiders dressing room must have been inspiring as they came out full of ‘vim-and-vigour’ and put the home side under some pressure as within two minutes of the re-start they were awarded a corner on the right. The kick was headed back across the box from the back post and deflected for a left wing corner.  Two further corners followed before Sean Wood finally cleared the danger.

Three minutes later Mario Mateus cut in from the left wing and shot as he reached the left edge of the penalty area bringing another good save from Garner as he dived low to his right to make the save.

Jody Bevan replaced Will Morford after 57 minutes and was almost immediately in the action as he inadvertently deflected a Dunton shot with his head onto the visitor’s crossbar.

Twenty minutes into the half Davies made a strong run from the half way line down the right flank before sending a high looping cross to the left flank for Lee Smith to fire a right footed volley inside the right post.   4-0

At this point Manager Hughes brought on Ben Prictor and Brad Hooper to replace Ellis Dunton and Sean Wood respectively.

Five minutes later a long ball to the edge of the Seasiders penalty area was met by Bevan’s head and he laid the ball into the path of the supporting James Mortimer-Jones. Without breaking his stride Mortimer-Jones volleyed the ball inside the top right corner.   5-0

Clevedon substitute Cameron Ricketts collected a ball on the half way line and burst down the left flank with Shayne Anson in hot pursuit.  As Ricketts entered the penalty area Anson produced a superb tackle to rob him of the ball – danger over.

Jody Bevan increased his senior goal scoring tally in the 83rd minute when he headed a Davies free kick from the left towards goal. Goalkeeper Mannings fumbled the effort and it fell to the ground where Bevan followed up to poke home.   6-0

Despite the score line Clevedon showed commendable spirit as they continued to push forward and some neat play on the right by Felix created space for Thorne to shoot from 25 yards.  Once again Garner parried the ball at full stretch as it looked destined for the top right corner, before collecting it.

The final goal of the match came three minutes before time as Jody Bevan once again chased after a through ball on the left side of the penalty area.  Mannings decided to come out to cut it off but he was beaten to the ball by Bevan who managed to get enough on it to prod it past Mannings.  The ball having just enough momentum to reach the net before the covering defender could reach it.   7-0

In the dying seconds a strong penalty claim from Davies was ignored by the referee.

Final Score: 7 - 0

Following the disappointing result at the weekend this was a good team performance from the Centurions, particularly in the first half.

The Seasiders showed plenty of endeavour and spirit and their willingness to push forward probably cost them a couple of goals in the second half.  

Attendance: 74                                 

Referee:    Brian Durie   

Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner
2.   Shayne Anson    (C)
3.   Ellis Dunton
4.   Mark Pritchett
5.   Matt Liddiard
6.   Leigh Henry
7.   Sean Wood             
8.   James Mortimer-Jones
9.   Will Morford
10.  Steve Davies          
11.   Lee Smith               

12.  Jody Bevan       (Will Morford-57mins)  
14.  Joe Shepherd  
15.  Brad Hooper     (Sean Wood-65mins) 
16.  Aidan Bennett    
17.  Ben Prictor       (Ellis Dunton-65mins) 

Clevedon Town:

1.   Kane Mannings
2.   Mason Winters
3.   Conor O’Sullivan
4.   Kye Mountford         
5.   Charlie Hitchings
6.   Adrian Harvey    
7.   Mario Mateus
8.   Luke Hall-Cousins
9.   Nuno Felix
10.  Matt Thorne   (C)
11.   Dominic Stewart

12.  Cameron Ricketts   (Dominic Stewart-66mins)                    
14.  Tim Parker             (MarioMateus-66mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2024