skip to content

Calor League Division 1 South & West

Cirencester Town 6 - 1 Guildford City


Match Report by Dave Pyzer

With a break in the recent monsoon weather Cirencester were able to host a fixture at the Corinium Stadium for the first time for a month against Guildford City who are having a difficult season.

The team had a couple of changes from the one last seen at the Corinium Stadium for a league fixture with Matt Liddiard and Will Morford returning on loan from their parent club Gloucester City. Liddiard took a place in the midfield alongside James Mortimer-Jones and Sean Wood whilst Morford occupied the central striker role.

The Centurions kicked off playing down the slope towards the Arena Dome on a pitch that looked in good condition considering the recent rain, albeit a little ‘tacky’ and immediately attacked down the left flank through Lee Smith and Will Morford.

It was however the home goalkeeper, Glyn Garner, who was the first to be called into action as he dived on the ball on the right edge of his area when a through-ball from the Guildford right flank looked likely to reach a visiting forward.

During this early period Guildford won a corner on their left which went behind from the kick.

As usual Cirencester were taking a little time to settle into the game but in the seventh minute Sean Wood played a long ball from the right of the centre circle towards the left wing where Lee Smith’s marker failed to intercept allowing Smith to latch onto it and drive into the penalty area before firing a shot toward the far post. Unfortunately the ball didn’t bend enough and it went wide.

Cirencester were beginning to warm to their task and three minutes later started a move on the right as Steve Davies slipped the ball to Matt Liddiard, near the centre circle, who flicked the ball over his marker to Lee Smith on the left. Smith held the ball as Ellis Dunton made an overlapping run on the outside of him and once Dunton received his pass he drove towards the byeline before driving the ball across the edge of the 6 yard box but unfortunately no contact was made with either home or away players and the ball went out of play on the far side of the pitch.

Guildford created an opportunity when Joel Greaves, with his back to goal 10 yards inside the home half, flicked the ball through the gap as both he and Dom Ogun were being closely marked, for Ogun to run onto whilst their markers were turning.  Ogun took the ball in his stride and as he approached the left edge of the penalty area he shot over the bar.

Cirencester responded with Lee Smith producing a determined run past three visitors on the left side of the area before passing across the 6 yard box for Steve Davies to shoot over the bar.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 21st minute when Steve Davies made one of his explosive runs down the right flank and unleashed a fierce drive along the edge of the 6 yard box to the back post where Lee Smith had made a darting run to power the ball into the roof of the net.


Guildford’s Jordan Taylor latched on to a loose ball some 25 yards out, centre line of the pitch, and took on the shot but it’s power was reduced as it was deflected into the grateful arms of Garner in the home goal.

In the 27th minute Cirencester increased their lead when Leigh Henry calmly tucked the ball inside the left post from the centre edge of the penalty area after a ball over the top from Sean Wood landed at his feet.  2-0

Guildford once again responded by earning a left wing corner and from the kick a far post header towards the top right corner of the goal was cleared for another corner from the Guildford right. The corner was headed over the bar as Garner struggled to get through the cluster of bodies to reach it.

On the half hour Lee Smith cut inside and played a ball to Steve Davies on the right wing, Davies played the ball back to James Mortimer-Jones who launched it to the back post where Matt Liddiard headed it firmly into the net.   3-0

Eleven minutes later a glancing header from Dunton to Wood, a short pass to Morford then to Davies and back to Morford produced a shot from Smith that rebounded to Liddiard who shot wide of the left post.

In the dying minutes of the half Guildford had a couple of attempts on goal as first Joel Greaves collected a loose ball midway inside the home half, powered through two tackles and shot wide of the right post, and then Bruce McPhail shot wide of the same post from 25 yards  out after latching on to a clearance. 

Half Time:   3 - 0

Three minutes into the half Leigh Henry drove a 40 yard cross-field pass from the right to Lee Smith on the left flank and the resultant shot was deflected wide for a right wing corner.

A couple of minutes later Will Morford headed the ball to Smith who produced a sharp turn to create an opening and shot from the left edge of the area that Antony Hall in the visitors goal safely gathered inside his left post. 

A quarter of an hour into the half Cirencester should have increased their lead further when a good move involving Smith, Morford and Davies provided Sean Wood with the ball in space on the right side of the penalty area but his shot cleared the bar.

Wood was in the action immediately afterwards when he chipped a well weighted ball over Dammy Bada at left back into space for Shayne Anson to collect. Anson made ground to the byeline and pulled back to evade a tackle before crossing to the back post but nothing came of it.

The Centurions scored the first goal of the half after 63 minutes when Smith crossed a ball from the left flank into space outside the penalty area that Steve Davies latched on to before lobbing ‘keeper Hall.   4-0

The fifth goal for Cirencester came in the 72nd minute as a result of a fierce drive into the box by Davies that was diverted into the net by the unfortunate Dammy Bada for an own goal.   5-0

Shortly after this the ebullient Smith, near the left edge of the penalty area, attempted an audacious volley from a narrow angle at the back post that cleared the right post, following a cross from the right wing by Davies.

In the 83rd minute Guildford were rewarded for their efforts when a free kick from the left landed near the Centurions penalty spot and the attempted clearance from Joe Shepherd, who had only joined the action seconds earlier, landed at the feet of Jamie Thoroughgood who promptly tucked it into the net.   5-1

Cirencester completed the scoring in the 91st minute when Shepherd made a strong run down the right side of the penalty area and unselfishly passed the ball across the 6 yard box to the waiting Will Morford to tap into the empty net.   6-1

Final Score: 6 - 1

This was a patchy game - possibly due to the lack of recent matches and the ‘sticky’ pitch - with the Centurions showing flashes of the passing football they are capable of whilst also demonstrating a mean defence with Leigh Henry and Mark Pritchett in dominant form.

The midfield trio were very industrious providing plenty of ball to their front line.

Lee Smith and Steve Davies combined to good effect, with Will Morford keeping the visiting central defenders very busy. 

Next week Cirencester visit table-topping Merthyr Town for what is sure to be an enthralling and difficult game.

Attendance: 94                                 

Referee:    Andrew Newell       

Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner
2.   Shayne Anson    (C)
3.   Ellis Dunton
4.   Mark Pritchett
5.   Matt Liddiard
6.   Leigh Henry
7.   Sean Wood             
8.   James Mortimer-Jones
9.   Will Morford
10.  Steve Davies          
11.   Lee Smith               

12.  Jody Bevan       (Lee Smith-76mins)      
14.  Brad Hooper#
15.  Joe Shepherd   (Steve Davies-83mins) 
16.  Aidan Bennett    (James Mortimer-Jones-76mins)
17.  Dean Bromley

Guildford City:

1.   Antony Hall
2.   Bruce McPhail
3.   Dammy Bada
4.   Elvis Defreitas         
5.   Jamie Thoroughgood
6.   Ben Rayner    
7.   Jordan Taylor
8.   Ben Walshe   (C)
9.   Sam Spencer
10.  Joel Greaves
11.   Dom Ogun

12.  Antony Bridgeman    (Sam Spencer-68mins)                        
13.  Danny Williams
14.  James Jewars          (Bruce McPhail-68mins)
16.  Nuno Pereira
17.  Callum Attwood        (Dom Ogun-84mins)



Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022