skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Sollertis
  • Mainstream digital
  • Cirecester Vape
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Total Teamwear
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Spire House

Red Insure Cup – Third Round

 Cirencester Town 1 – 4 Hungerford Town


Match Report by Dave Pyzer


The Centurions were finally able to host Calor League Premier Division Hungerford Town for this Red Insure Cup Third Round fixture after the two previously scheduled matches had been postponed due to the pitch being waterlogged.

As in previous rounds the team had a very youthful look as the squad consisted predominately of Development Team players and young members of the First Team. Chris Holland was playing his first game since early November due to an ankle injury and lined up alongside Kyle Pitts in the centre of defence. Ellis Dunton moved to right back with Ben Prictor returning at left back following his one match suspension.

Cirencester kicked off playing up the slope towards the Shed End and were immediately rewarded with a corner on their left flank which was cleared for a throw on the right flank. The youngsters were not overawed by their more experienced opponents and took the game to the visitors in the early stages and nearly took the lead following a cross from the left that Shane Bumphrey struck over the bar at the back post.

Hungerford responded with a low shot from the edge of the penalty area that required a good diving save to his right from Adam Clatworthy in the home goal.

The Centurions opened the scoring in the 8th minute with a free flowing move from defence to attack - starting on the right and ending with a cross from the left flank some six passes later. Shane Bumphrey was the provider of the final pass to Joe Shepherd at the right edge of the 6 yard box and from a very acute angle he drove the ball inside the left post.     1-0

A couple of minutes later Bradley Gray snatched at a chance to equalise and the ball went wide of the right post.

On the quarter hour mark the hosts could have increased their lead when another cross from the left reached the energetic Shepherd cutting in from the right but his left footed shot was wide of the left post.

A strong 50 yard run down the left flank by Jacob Davidge provided another opportunity for Shepherd but this time his shot was smothered and cleared by the visitors.

Davidge was in evidence again three minutes later but this time in defence as he blocked a shot on his own goal-line after a left wing corner.

Hungerford were dangerous down their flanks with Gray and the speedy Alan O’Brien particularly prominent and from one of their breaks Clatworthy produced a good save on the edge of his box as he parried a shot before diving on the loose ball between two players.

Clatworthy repeated the feat four minutes later when he again parried a shot when in a one-on-one situation with O’Brien, who had got in behind the home defence, and again dropped on the loose ball.

During this period Clatworthy was looking unbeatable as he did it again – once again O’Brien was the player thwarted.

Hungerford nearly opened their account five minutes before half time when Nick Stanley struck a post from the edge of the penalty area. 

The young Cirencester team had played well during the first 20 minutes or so with some crisp passing but the visitors had finished the half strongly so the break was welcome.

Half Time:   1 - 0

Towards the end of the half the weather had deteriorated changing from dry to extremely wet with rain gusting into the faces of the home team as the second half began with the pitch becoming very slippery.

Five minutes into the second half Jack Smith, who linked play well all match, brought down a long kick upfield from Clatworthy on the right flank and advanced down the right side of the penalty area before cutting back to his left, losing two defenders in the process, and struck the ball across the edge of the 6 yard box but Shane Bumphrey was unable to reach it before it was gratefully gathered by visiting ‘keeper Paul Strudley.

A couple of minutes later Hungerford got the goal they had been searching for as a shot from Stefan Brown on the right side of the penalty area squeezed in at the near post.     1-1

Shortly afterwards Ollie Pitt replaced Chris Holland as the latter had successfully negotiated his first competitive football for eleven weeks. As a result Ellis Dunton moved alongside Kyle Pitts and Joe Shepherd to right back. Pitt taking a position on the right flank.

In the 57th minute Hungerford took the lead following a run down the left flank. Upon reaching the by-line, inside the penalty area, O’Brien pulled the ball back towards the penalty spot and the initial shot from Dean Stow was blocked but he followed up to drive the ball into the net.   1-2

Hungerford were enjoying plenty of possession now and Clatworthy had to dive low to his right to prevent Hungerford increasing their lead when Danny Burnell produced a fierce shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Hungerford increased their lead with a somewhat fortunate goal when Matt Day struck a high cross from wide on the right, 10 yards into the Cirencester half, towards the far post. The ball being carried by the wind and dropping just under the bar and into the top left corner of the goal.   1-3

Ten minutes from normal time Hungerford scored their final goal when a misplaced clearance kick fell to substitute Harry Goodger who played it into space behind the home defence, 20 yards inside the Cirencester half, for Stefan Brown to latch on to.  Brown rounded the advancing Clatworthy to tap into the empty net.   1-4

Despite this score-line Cirencester were still closing the visitors down and working hard to gain possession and from one interception in the centre circle Ollie Pitt played a superb 30 yard pass to the right flank for fellow substiitute Dan Hill to collect. Upon reaching the right edge of the area Hill cut back and struck a good left footed shot wide of the left post.

In the final minutes Hungerford could have added to their tally but were once again denied by Adam Clatworthy.

Final Score: 1 - 4

This was an entertaining match despite the very difficult conditions, due to the appalling weather, as it took the more experienced Hungerford Town some time to get a grip on the game against their enthusiastic young opponents who had not played for a month.

Several of them caught the eye with Jack Smith prominent, Jacob Davidge showing good pace down the left flank and Matt Fusco looking lively when he came on. Adam Clatworthy played well, particularly in the first half, in the worst possible weather for a goalkeeper.

Attendance: 27                                 

Referee:      Tim Wood


Cirencester Town:

1.   Adam Clatworthy
2.   Ellis Dunton (C)
3.   Ben Prictor
4.   Tim Bond
5.   Kyle Pitts
6.   Chris Holland
7.   Joe Shepherd
8.   Dean Bromley
9.   Jack Smith
10.  Shane Bumphrey
11.  Jacob Davidge

12.  Ollie Pitt             (Chris Holland-54mins)                                      
14.  Matt Fusco          (Shane Bumphrey-73mins)
15.  Dan Hill          (Jacob Davidge-70mins)
16.  Liam James                        
17.  Tom Luce


Hungerford Town:

1.   Paul Strudley
2.   Gary Horgan
3.   Nick Stanley
4.   Mark Hughes
5.   Matt Day    (C)    
6.   Luke Brewer
7.   Bradley Gray
8.   Dean Stow
9.   Stefan Brown
10.  Danny Burnell
11.  Alan O’Brien

12.  Harry Goodger (Bradley Gray-66mins)              
14.  Mark Draycott         
15.  James Clark           (Matt day-70mins)
16.  Scott Rees
17.  Elliott Legg      (Mark Hughes-63mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023