skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Direct Business Solutions
  • Costwold Water Park Hotel
  • Mainstream digital
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Tiger Turf
  • Spire House
  • Subway Cirencester

Calor League Division 1 S&W

Cirencester Town 2 - 2 Paulton Rovers

Match Report by Dave Pyzer

Cirencester welcomed Paulton Rovers to the Corinium Stadium for this top-of-the-table mid-week fixture. Paulton scored seven goals in each of their last two matches and are placed 3rd in the Division Table so a tough encounter was expected.

The Centurions had a more familiar line-up as Shayne Anson returned to right back, Ellis Dunton returned to the centre of the defence - following his one match suspension, and James Mortimer-Jones to midfield.  They were however without Jamie Edge, who was unavailable as he had a match for Hartbury College the following day, and Chris Holland who is still on the injured list.

The match proved to be a pulsating affair, more typical of a cup tie than a league match, as both teams committed themselves to get a result.

Cirencester kicked off playing towards The Shed end and could not have wished for a better start as they opened the scoring within the first 20 seconds.

The ball was launched behind the visitor’s right back from the kick-off for Lee Smith to chase and the attempted clearance dropped in the path of James Mortimer-Jones, 25 yards out - left of centre. Without hesitation he took on the volley and his cleanly struck shot cleared visiting ‘keeper Kyle Phillips and dipped into the top right corner of the goal.  1-0

In the fifth minute Sean Wood took a free kick on the left flank which reached Brad Hooper at the back post but Phillips managed to smother his effort.

The Paulton response was to launch long balls for their very quick, mobile forwards – Joshua Klein-Davies and Nick McCootie - to chase. One such ball down the centre, in the 12th minute, reached the lively Nick McCootie who got behind the home back four on the left edge of the penalty area.  As ‘keeper Glyn Garner advanced to close him down he calmly slipped the ball with his left foot inside the right post.   1-1

Six minutes later Ben Prictor played a well-weighted ball from the left flank over the visiting defence for Lee Smith to collect.  Smith advanced into the penalty area along the bye-line but his attempt from a narrow angle was blocked by Phillips with Steve Davies supporting around the penalty spot.

Paulton responded immediately as Klein-Davies got through on goal and Garner had to be alert to deflect his effort wide for a corner.

The end-to-end action continued as Aidan Bennett, who caused problems for the visitors back four all night, chased a lost cause down the right flank and won the ball for the supporting Davies to take into the corner before laying it back to Brad Hooper. Hooper struck a deep cross towards the back post which struck the top of the crossbar, top left, before dropping behind the goal.

Not to be outdone Paulton midfielder Darren Jefferies made ground down their right flank and crossed the ball in from the right edge of the penalty area, near the bye-line, but Garner managed to deflect it behind for a corner.

Just after the half hour mark of this eventful game Brad Hooper collected the ball on the Cirencester left flank and passed it across the pitch to Shayne Anson who in turn moved it forward to Davies. Hooper had continued his run and received the ball from Davies before returning it after a few yards. Davies then passed it back to Hooper who was now inside the right side of the penalty area and he crossed to the back post but unfortunately there was no team-mate able to reach it.

Three minutes before the interval Lee Smith collected a ball inside from Shayne Anson and made a mazy run from the right edge of the penalty area that took him towards the penalty spot as he looked for an opening to get his shot away. When he neared the penalty spot he shot left footed back towards the right post and the ball struck the bottom of the post.  Once again there was no-one near enough to collect the loose ball and it was cleared.

Half Time:   1 - 1

The second half started at a frenetic pace and Paulton had the first attempt on goal in the 52nd minute when Brandon Barnes cut-in from the right flank and unleashed a left footed shot that Garner did well to parry.

This was quickly followed by McCootie shooting just over the left post from the right edge of the penalty area.

The period of pressure was maintained when Barnes collected a loose ball on the left side of the penalty area and fired another left foot drive wide of the right post.

Midway through the half it was Ciren’s turn to turn up the heat as they enjoyed a period of sustained pressure that brought about a couple of crosses from the right flank from Steve Davies that resulted in corners.  One of the corners, taken by Sean Wood, found its way to Mortimer-Jones just inside the penalty area, left of centre, but his right footed volley did not match the one that opened the scoring and it cleared the bar.

Paulton reacted with a Barnes free kick on the right flank that curled to the back post but was headed wide of the target from the edge of the 6 yard box.

The Centurions broke the deadlock in the 70th minute when they were awarded a free kick just inside their own half on the left flank. Ben Prictor took the kick and launched it forward – towards Leigh Henry on the edge of the penalty area. It just cleared Henry but fell to Bennett who laid it back to Henry. Leigh Henry spotted Lee Smith on the move on the left edge of the penalty area and immediately played the ball inside Mike Reaney, who had earlier replaced Ryan Batten, for Smith to collect. Smith latched onto it, cut back on to his right foot before striking a curling cross-cum-shot towards the back post where Steve Davies met it to head inside the right post.  2-1

Three minutes later Cirencester nearly scored again when Bennett chased a long ball to the left corner where he harried Dan Cleverley, forcing him to turn back towards his goal. Cleverly was moving across his own area in line with the 6 yard box and Steve Davies noticed this and quickly made ground to cut down his options. It was whilst Davies was at full speed that Cleverly passed across his box and the ball struck Davies to go wide of the right post.

Shortly afterwards Davies left the field injured, to be replaced by Jacob Davidge, who was immediately welcomed to the game with a couple of strong challenges.

Paulton equalised in the 82nd minute when they intercepted a cross-field pass in the centre of the pitch and moved the ball down their left flank to Ben Lacey who played a well weighted pass into the path of Darren Jefferies who took it in his stride and tucked it inside the left post as Garner closed him down.   2-2

A couple of minutes later Garner was called into action again – this time to make a good save to his left to stop a powerful Klein-Davies drive from 25 yards, right of centre.

Cirencester were to have the last attempt at goal as Smith fired an ambitious shot at goal from the right flank, 35 yards out, which fizzed past the left post.

Final Score: 2 - 2

This was a terrific game of football with two well matched teams giving it a go.

Paulton reacted well to the shock of conceding an early goal and showed their goal threat through their lively forwards and strong midfield.

Cirencester showed that it is no accident that they are at the top of the division with a committed performance from all involved.

Once again Aidan Bennett relished the freedom his new central striker role provides - harassing the visiting defence all evening - and was rewarded with The Four Pillars Hotel - Man of the Match by the home supporters.

Attendance: 121                                 

Referee:    Steve Glyde  

Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner
2.   Shayne Anson    (C)
3.   Ben Prictor
4.   James Mortimer-Jones
5.   Ellis Dunton
6.   Leigh Henry    
7.   Brad Hooper
8.   Sean Wood             
9.   Aidan Bennett
10. Steve Davies          
11. Lee Smith                

12. Jody Bevan     
14. Dean Bromley
15. Jacob Davidge     (Steve Davies-77mins)
16. Jack Smith
17. Kyle Pitts       


Paulton Rovers:

1.   Kyle Phillips
2.   Ryan Batten
3.   Marcus Mapstone
4.   Dean Evans     
5.   Scott Brice
6.   Brandon Barnes    
7.   Darren Jefferies
8.   Ben Lacey
9.   Joshua Klein-Davies
10.  Dan Cleverley     (C)
11.  Nick McCootie 

12.  Joe Vyner                          
14.  Mike Reaney          (Ryan Batten-54mins)
15.  Ollie Price              (Darren Jefferies-86mins)
16.  Joshua Jefferies   (Nick McCootie-77mins)
17.  Nick Bunyard

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022