skip to content

Red Insure Cup – Second Round

Swindon Supermarine   0 – 3  Cirencester Town

 Match Report by Dave Pyzer

The Centurions made the short journey to neighbours Swindon Supermarine for this Second Round Red Insure League Cup match with a mixture of First Team Squad and Development Team players.

The visitors lined up with Adam Clatworthy in goal, James Mortimer-Jones, Kyle Pitts, Ellis Dunton and Ben Prictor as the back four, Steve Davies, Brad Hooper, Dean Bromley and Jacob Davidge in midfield, Jack Smith and Shane Bumphrey up front.  Dean Bromley was Captain for the game.

Despite not having played for ten days Supermarine also fielded a team made up of a mixture of First Team and New College players so an interesting match was anticipated.

Cirencester opened the scoring in the 7th minute following a cross from wide on the left wing by Ben Prictor that was deflected high into the air, coming down near the left edge of the 6 yard box. Shane Bumphrey had made a positive run from around the penalty spot to meet it as it came down and did well to generate power and place his header inside the near post.  0-1

Ten minutes later Bumphrey was in the action again when Adam Clatworthy punted the ball downfield. The ball bounced up on the half way line and Dean Bromley helped it on with his head to Bumphrey who turned his marker and fired a curling shot wide of the left post from outside the penalty area, right of centre.

Supermarine responded with a dangerous cross from former Cirencester Academy graduate Josh Morse on their left wing that reached the back post where Ben Prictor managed to head it clear whilst under pressure from two home players.

Cirencester increased their lead with a sublime goal that was simple in terms of approach but brilliant in terms of execution.  Ellis Dunton collected a clearance kick on the half way line, left of centre, and played a low driven pass between the home centre back and right back for Jacob Davidge to latch onto.  Full back Mani Randhawa stretched to reach it but couldn’t keep his balance and the alert Davidge robbed him, looked up and noticing ‘keeper Alex Swatridge off his line, had the awareness and ability to strike a superb lob-shot over the ‘keeper and inside the far post from the left edge of the penalty area.  0-2

Much of the play took place in the middle of the park and the next moment of excitement came eleven minutes later when Brad Hooper got on the end of a cross from the right wing. His header was cleared behind for a left wing corner. Hooper got his head to a cross that followed the short corner but it cleared the bar.

A minute before the interval Josh Morse made a strong run down the left flank, cut in, and drove a low shot from the edge of the penalty area into the grateful arms of a well positioned Clatworthy.     

Half Time:   0 - 2

Five minutes after the re-start a clearance from the home defence was collected by Steve Davies, 30 yards out, he moved the ball on to Brad Hooper who was wider on the right, Hooper returned the ball to Davies who struck a fierce drive on the half volley wide of the left upright.

Ten minutes later Dave Bampton replaced Eddie Stevens for ‘Marine but his appearance was short-lived as he stooped to head a ball and received a boot to his head as Bumphrey tried to hook it over his shoulder. Dan Hilder replaced Bampton.

In the 75th minute a clearance header was collected by Aaron Ferris outside the penalty area, right side, and as he drove towards the bye-line he was forced wide but his cross-come-shot struck the far left post and was cleared.

Shortly afterwards the hard working Jack Smith played a neat ball into the path of Bumphrey on the edge of the penalty area and his first strike at goal was blocked by an advancing Swatridge.  The ball rebounded to Bumphrey and his second lobbed shot was wide of the right post.

The final goal came in the 81st minute following a strong run by Davies that took him to, and along, the bye-line on the right.  As he entered the box he looked up and crossed the ball to Jack Smith who had entered the box, then backed off to obtain space near the penalty spot. As the ball came in he calmly picked his spot and placed his right foot volley inside the right post.

A couple of minutes before the final whistle Davidge once again attacked the left flank and fired in a shot towards the far post that Swatridge turned behind for a right wing corner that was cleared.

Final Score: 0 - 3

This was an excellent performance from the young guns of Cirencester that bodes well for the future, with everyone contributing.  Jacob Davidge once again caught the eye with his positive forays down the left flank but there were a number of strong performances – Brad Hooper was very busy in the middle of the park linking play, Shane Bumphrey was a real handful and the defence looked very sound.

Attendance: 89                                 

Referee:      Adam Nunn


Swindon Supermarine:

1.   Alex Swatridge
2.   Mani Randhawa
3.   Alex Rigley
4.   Jon Steedman   (C)
5.   Craig Curtis
6.   Eddie Stevens
7.   Aaron Ferris
8.   Jake Johns
9.   Joe Tustain
10.  Luke Abrahart
11.  Josh Morse
12.  Sam Morris     (Luke Abrahart-60mins)                                       
14.  Dan Hilder                 (Dave Bampton-68mins)
15.  Chris Taylor
16.  Dave Bampton  (Eddie Stevens-60mins)                     
17.  Kent Kauppinen

Cirencester Town:

1.   Adam Clatworthy
2.   James Mortimer-Jones
3.   Ben Prictor
4.   Dean Bromley    (C)
5.   Ellis Dunton    
6.   Kyle Pitts
7.   Steve Davies
8.   Brad Hooper
9.   Shayne Bumphrey
10.  Jack Smith
11.  Jacob Davidge

12.  Liam James     (Brad Hooper-87mins)              
14.  Dan Roberts    (Dean Bromley–81mins)
15.  Aaron Perry
16.  Tom Luce        (Steve Davies-81mins)
17.  Nathan Hawkins


Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2021