skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Cirecester Vape
  • Total Teamwear
  • Thifty Car and Van Rental
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • SpecSavers
  • Clarity Solutions
  • Mainstream digital
  • McDonalds Cirencester
  • Direct Business Solutions

The Calor League – Division One South & West

Cirencester Town 4 – 3 Wimborne Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer

Cirencester returned to league action, following their recent cup exploits, with a home match against Wimborne Town who were one place above The Centurians having played four more games and gaining one point more in the process.

The home team had a new face as ex-Arsenal trainee Jamie Edge took a place in midfield - as a result Ellis Dunton returned to left back. Jody Bevan started in the central striker role following the departure of Sam Collier.

This season Cirencester have conceded a number of goals in the first ten minutes but in this game they scored one - as they were awarded a penalty in the 6th minute for an aerial challenge into the back of Sean Wood on the right bye-line of the area. Steve Davies stepped up and planted the ball firmly inside the left post.  1 - 0

Five minutes later Ellis Dunton launched a 50 yard pass from the left flank into the path of Lee Smith on the right wing and he made ground before crossing into the area. The cross was only half cleared and was fired back in towards goal for another sliced clearance attempt, the ball bouncing around the area before finally being gathered by visiting ‘keeper, Jason Marvell.  

On the quarter hour mark an eleven pass move involving a number of Ciren players on the right flank reached Sean Wood who shot wide of the left post from just outside the penalty area.

Cirencester were enjoying plenty of possession at this stage moving the ball around the pitch with accuracy and good movement. Once they got the ball Wimborne countered with their own possession football but were unable to find their way through the home defence.

They did create an opportunity in the 22nd minute when Sam Griffith’s fierce shot from the edge of the penalty area was parried by Glyn Garner and Matt Kemble hit the loose ball over the bar – but he was flagged offside.

In the 30th minute Jody Bevan had a chance to add to his 247 senior goals when Ellis Dunton crossed from the left wing – following an exchange of passes between the latter and James Mortimer-Jones – but unfortunately Jody’s header was wide of the far right post.

A couple of minutes later Lee Smith received a ball from James Mortimer-Jones on the left side of the penalty area and drove to the bye-line before cutting back onto his right foot near the 6 yard box and shooting from a very narrow angle. Marvell stood up and parried the strike for a left wing corner that was eventually cleared.

Cirencester continued to probe and in the final minutes of the half another five pass move arrived at the feet of Lee Smith and as he burst into the left side of the box he was knocked over but cries from the home supporters for a penalty were unsuccessful.

Half Time:   1 - 0

The first half had been dominated by the Centurions but they had not scored the goals their possession should have yielded and therefore a good start to the second half was required as a one goal lead can create it’s own pressure.

Within three minutes of the re-start Steve Davies and Shayne Anson exchanged a couple of passes that eventually led to a cross that Jody Bevan back-headed to Lee Smith on the left side of the 6 yard box but his shot was blocked for a left wing corner that was cleared.

Wimborne responded with a header from James Stokoe following a free kick on their left flank.

In the 51st minute another multiple pass move from the home side on the left flank found Jamie Edge outside the penalty area and he chipped a well weighted ball into the path of Lee Smith inside the penalty area. Without hesitation the in-form Smith fired into the top left corner to increase the lead.    2 – 0

Almost immediately from the re-start Jody Bevan received a pass from Smith as he headed down the left flank.  Bevan managed to squeeze between the covering defenders into space on the left side of the penalty area – looking up he attempted a curling shot for the far post but it was wide of the target.

It was then the turn of Steve Davies to run onto a ball inside the left side of the penalty area, this time from Sean Wood, and as the defenders closed on him he also shot wide of the far right post.

Wimborne made a double substitution in the 55th minute with Aidan Sainsbury and Mark Gamble replacing Jon Blake and Matt Kemble and Cirencester replaced Jody Bevan five minutes later with Shayne Bumphrey.

The substitutions lifted Wimborne and a lay-off from Stokoe provided Billy Maybury with the opportunity to drive a shot at goal from the left edge of the penalty area that Glyn Garner saved low down to his right inside the post.

Wimborne then got a foothold in the game when they were awarded a penalty in the 66th minute.

A through ball from Stokoe into space behind the home defence was chased down by Mark Gamble and as two defenders closed in on him, either side, he went to ground. Gamble picked himself up and despatched the penalty into the bottom right corner of the goal.   2 – 1

This success lifted Wimborne and seemed to unsettle Cirencester as their play became more ragged and in the 71st minute a powerful free kick from Jamie Davidson was tipped over the bar by Garner.

Despite this change in urgency for the visitors it was Cirencester who scored next, five minutes later, following a swift move down their left flank.  A clearance header fell to Mortimer-Jones who moved it on to Lee Smith and ran on beyond Smith into space just inside the left edge of the penalty area. Smith moving to his right played a clever reverse pass into Mortimer-Jones who crossed on the run with his left foot towards the penalty spot where Shayne Bumphrey volleyed the ball into the net.   3 – 1

Wimborne were not done yet and replied immediately with a well struck drive from James Stokoe from the right edge of the penalty area that hit the inside of the left hand post before nestling in the back of the net.  3 – 2

Seven minutes later Mark Gamble equalised when he latched onto a lob into the box and from just outside the 6 yard box he struck the ball against the right post before bundling the rebound over the line.   3 - 3

Undeterred by this set-back Cirencester continued to push forward and with four minutes of normal time remaining they were rewarded when Lee Smith laid a ball back to Ellis Dunton who crossed towards the far post - the defensive header fell to Sean Wood on the edge of the penalty area, right corner, who promptly drove it, right footed, into the bottom left corner.

Final Score: 4 - 3

This was certainly an eventful game – a seven goal thriller - with both sides being awarded ‘soft’ penalties, a second half comeback from the visitors and the deciding goal in the final minutes.

Cirencester dominated the first half but failed to capitalise on their possession and wobbled in the second when Wimborne raised their game once they had scored. Fortunately there was sufficient ability and character in the side to obtain the win.

The Four Pillars Hotel - Man of the Match, as voted by the home supporters, was awarded to Leigh Henry.

Attendance: 97                                 

Referee:    Jason Richardson    

Cirencester Town:

 1.   Glyn Garner
2.   Shayne Anson    (C)
3.   Ellis Dunton
4.   James Mortimer-Jones
5.   Chris Holland
6.   Leigh Henry    
7.   Jamie Edge
8.   Sean Wood             
9.   Jody Bevan
10.  Steve Davies          
11.  Lee Smith               

12.  Jon Beedon     
14.  Aidan Bennett   (Steve Davies–88mins)
15.  Ben Prictor
16. Shane Bumphrey  (Jody Bevan-60mins)
17.  Dean Bromley 

Wimborne Town:

1.   Jason Marvell
2.   Adam Costello
3..   Billy Maybury
4.   Patrick Wilson          
5.   Shaun Brian
6.   Jon Blake    
7.   Jamie Davidson
8.   Micky Hubbard      (C)
9.   James Stokoe
10.  Matt Kemble11.  Sam Griffith

12.  Scott Arnold                     
14.  Aidan Sainsbury   (Jon Blake-55mins)
15.  Mark gamble        (Matt Kemble–55mins)
16.  Dan Ackerman


Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023