skip to content

The Calor League – Division One South & West

Fleet Town 0 – 1 Cirencester Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer  

Cirencester travelled to Hampshire for their latest league action, to Calthorpe Park, the home of Fleet Town who are one of the teams to move across from Division 1 Central for this season.

The starting line-up for Cirencester was as the last two matches with Shayne Anson still absent due to a groin strain and Joe Shepherd unavailable.  The bench was also as Tuesday consisting of Jody Bevan, Matt Liddiard, Aidan Bennett and Dean Bromley.

Cirencester kicked off playing up the slope of a pitch with a bumpy surface and soft top which was expected to be difficult to play on – and so it proved - on a dull day.

As usual Cirencester gave possession away from the kick off when the ball went behind for a goal kick to the home side. 

The first opportunity of note came in the 7th minute when Steve Davies fed a ball through from the centre circle to Tim Bond on a run down the middle, left of centre, which he collected on the edge of the penalty area. Tim took the shot early as he was closed down and the ball travelled across the keeper but wide of the far right post.

A couple of minutes later Fleet had their first chance when a punt from ‘keeper Ryan Pryce found a charging Craig Stanley on the left flank. Stanley cut back to evade tackles from the cover defence and from the edge of the penalty area blasted the ball high and wide of the visitor’s goal.

Cirencester were enjoying plenty of possession and in the 11th minute Lee Smith collected a ball on the centre circle and played a ball through to Steve Davies just inside the Ciren half and he galloped forward leaving defenders in his wake but finally lost the ball under challenge on the edge of the 6 yard box with his co-strikers in support. The challenge did however produce a throw on the left flank which Ellis Dunton moved across to take as it was level with the edge of the 6 yard box.  Dunton launched the ball with customary ease and Sam Collier headed it firmly from the centre edge of the 6 yard box at goal but unfortunately straight at Pryce who gratefully accepted it.

The game was end to end in terms of possession and position but Fleet were struggling to get past the resolute Ciren defence although they created a chance down their right flank as Jordan Carter laid a ball inside for Stanley to take a pot at goal from 20 yards out, right of centre, that went wide of the left hand post.

Six minutes later Steve Davies took a quick throw on the right to Dunton who drove the ball forward to Collier, he in turn fed it back to Davies who shot but the ball was punched out to Dunton who played it to Smith, in space on the left edge of the penalty area. Smith cut back to avoid a defender and fired a shot at goal that went wide of the right post.

The next opportunity fell to Fleet who were awarded a free kick a few yards outside the Ciren penalty area, on the left, but Stanley’s kick struck the support stanchion of the left post.

Just before the half hour mark a Steve Davies corner from the right reached Leigh Henry at the back of the penalty area, level with the penalty spot, and his header just cleared the bar to land on the net.

Five minutes later Davies won another throw-in on the left that was punched out to Collier, positioned inside the centre edge of the penalty area, and he acrobatically struck a firm left footed volley towards goal. Pryce had recovered his ground, following his clearance, and was perfectly positioned to catch the ball.  He immediately punted the ball downfield resulting in a left wing corner that came to nothing.

In the 42nd minute Sam Collier, who was once again working the opposition centre backs very hard, received the ball with his back to goal under challenge from Tom Mudge and despite this he held off the defender as he edged towards goal before swivelling and shooting from just outside the left edge of the 6 yard box. The shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Fleet responded with a break down the left wing that saw Stanley cross for Simba Mlambo to head wide of the right post when well placed.

There was still time for a couple more incidents in the closing minutes of the half when James Mortimer-Jones fed Davies who turned a played a ball inside the right back Phil Moore for Smith to latch on to.  Smith flashed the ball across the 6 yard box but there was no contact and it was cleared.

Fleet then had two shots blocked, following a break down their left, before Jordan Carter blazed the ball over the bar.

With half time rapidly approaching Craig Stanley decided to take on a shot from 5 yards inside the Cirencester half but it was easily saved by Glyn Garner.

Half Time:       0 - 0

The second half continued where the first had left off with plenty of endeavour but little quality in front of goal.

Within 3 minutes Garner had launched a ball down the slope, deep into the Fleet half - on the left, where Collier collected and passed inside to the supporting Steve Davies but his shot was blocked.

Cirencester then tried the right flank as Dunton collected the ball from a Garner throw and made ground before releasing Lee Smith. Smith slipped the ball inside to Mortimer-Jones who moved it on to Collier just inside the penalty area - on the right. Collier was held up so he laid it back to Mortimer-Jones who immediately shot over the bar from 25 yards.

The visitor’s had a period of possession - but no end product – and were reminded that Fleet were dangerous on the break as they understood how to play their slope. A ball was won inside the Fleet half and immediately played over the top and behind Leigh Henry. The ball landed 10 yards outside the penalty area and as Henry was turning to chase, Mlambo was in full stride.  Garner made the decision to come out to cut him off and as he did so Mlambo took on the lob but his contact was too heavy and it comfortably cleared the bar. Danger averted but a warning.   

A neat move started by a simple ball from Tim Bond to Steve Davies inside the Cirencester half was fed by the latter to Smith on a charge down the right wing.  The resulting cross flew across the 6 yard box with no-one able to make contact.

A few minutes later and it was Smith returning the favour as he fed Davies in the centre circle.  Davies was too quick for the defenders who were too close to him and from some 30 yards his attempted chip drifted wide of the right post with Pryce stranded way out of his goal.

Midway through the half another Dunton throw, from the right flank, was met by Chris Holland’s head on the right edge of the 6 yard box but the goal-bound effort was caught under the bar by Pryce.

On the half hour mark of the second half the referee awarded a corner when he adjudged that Garner had tipped the ball over the bar whilst the ‘keeper maintained he had merely covered the attempt by jumping to the bar.  The left wing corner reached Mlambo and his shot was cleared to Mudge who crashed it over the bar from around the penalty spot.

Jody Bevan and Mat Liddiard replaced Brad Hooper and Tim Bond after 74 minutes with Bevan taking up a position alongside Sam Collier and Liddiard a central holding position alongside Mortimer–Jones.  The formation changing to 4-4-2.

Three minutes later Glyn Garner pulled off a sensational save to thwart Danilo Cadete when he leapt to his left to palm a superb curling shot that appeared destined for the top right hand corner – as viewed by the Fleet player - wide of his goal.  The ball had reached Cadete, following headed clearances from Henry and Holland, and once received he cut back onto his right foot on the left edge of the penalty area before unleashing his attempt.

Six minutes to full time, Manager Hughes replaced Collier with Aidan Bennett and this was to prove a master-stroke as with his first touch of the ball Bennett found the back of the net.  Steve Davies collected the ball on the halfway line, left of centre, and played the ball onto Aidan Bennett who drove down the left side of the penalty area before striking the ball with his left foot across the ‘keeper and inside the far post.

A minute before normal time was due to be completed Lee Smith released Steve Davies who made ground at pace into the penalty area and as he neared the edge of the 6 yard box ‘keeper Pryce managed to smother his chip-shot.

Shortly afterwards, in the 46th minute, Garner punted the ball downfield to Jody Bevan on the left side of the penalty area and he somehow managed a very sharp turn to get his shot away from a narrow angle for Pryce to palm away – the ball running along the goal line with no Cirencester player able to latch onto it before it was cleared.

In the 49th minute the Fleet Town physio was called upon to enter the field to briefly attend the prone Mudge – the first time there had been a stoppage for anyone to receive attention.

The visiting supporters were amazed that the game continued for another four minutes before time was finally called on the match. Where did the referee get the additional 8 minutes from?

Final Score:     0 - 1

This was not a football spectacle as flowing football was impossible on the bumpy pitch – there was however plenty of endeavour but unfortunately not much quality in front of goal. 

Cirencester created numerous chances but failed to take them. 

They will need to be much more clinical if they want to progress in the FA Cup next Saturday, and mount a serious challenge in the League.

Lee Smith and Steve Davies again looked dangerous but did not convert the chances their pace produced whilst the defensive partnership of Leigh Henry and Chris Holland gets better with every match.  There is some concern that Chris Holland, who was dominant in the air and showed plenty of pace on the deck when required, was limping towards the end of the game.

Attendance:     116                                          

Referee:           Guy Pointer


Fleet Town:

1.   Ryan Pryce
2.   Phil Moore
3.   Aaron Blaxall
4.   Stan Staines          
5.   Tom Mudge
6.   Craig Davis    
7.   Craig Stanley
8.   Jordan Carter
9.   Simba Mlambo    (C)
10.  Danilo Cadete
11.  Rob Carr

12.  Jack White       (Danilo Cadete-88mins)                            
14.  Brett Stanley    (Stan Staines-88mins)      
15.  Callum Stanley   (Jordan Carter-91mins)   
16.  Liam Spuls
17.  Michal Jahodnik


Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner
2.   Ellis Dunton
3.   Jon Beedon
4.   James Mortimer-Jones
5.   Chris Holland
6.   Leigh Henry     (C)
7.   Tim Bond
8.   Brad Hooper
9.   Sam Collier
10.  Steve Davies
11.  Lee Smith

12.  Aidan Bennett     (Sam Collier-84mins)
14.  Mat Liddiard       (Brad Hooper-74mins)
15.  Jody Bevan         (Tim Bond-74mins)
16.  Dean Bromley

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022