skip to content

FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay

Cirencester Town 1 - 0 Slough Town

On a wonderful sunny Tuesday evening, Cirencester welcomed Slough Town to the Corinium Stadium for this Preliminary FA Cup replay.

After a tough even match on Sunday afternoon, which finished all square at one a-piece, we were all braced for another hard fought Game. Cirencester made one change from the team on Sunday with Steve Davies returning from injury, with Aiden Bennett on the bench. Slough had made two changes from Sunday with Scott Harris and James McClurg both starting.

Slough were quick out of the blocks for the first ten minutes making some early progress down the flanks, no more so than in the 6th min after Darren Wheeler made a strong run down the left getting to the by-line and sending in a wicked cross which Glyn Garner the Ciren keeper was pleased to see cleared for a corner.

Ciren woke up after this and in the 10th min a one-two between James Mortimer-Jones and Davies who went round the defender before firing off a decent shot that missed on the left.

Lee Smith who was in great form at Slough, was now starting to find his touch and in the 18th min was fouled whilst on one of his normal quick pace runs, Leigh Henry took the free kick with a high ball into the far post Slough dealt with the threat comfortably.

With 25 mins gone Slough were playing the better football with precise passing and vision, Ciren were not being given time to settle by a industrious battling Slough team.

With minutes to go before half time Smith made a penetrating run down the left and then cuts across the front of the box before unleashing a shot at goal that was deflected for a corner.

On the stroke of halftime Ollie Burgess from 40 yards tried an opportunist strike, which cleared the Ciren bar.

Half time 0-0

Ciren were playing towards the Arena in the second half and within minutes a throw in from the right from Shayne Anson into the path of Sam Collier who neatly laid it off for Joe Shepherd whose first time snap shot was wide of the near post.

In the 59th min Aidan Bennett came on for the tireless Shepherd, Johnnie Dyer the Slough No 7 was in action down the right bringing out a good save from Garner tipping the ball out for a corner at the near post. From the corner Slough came the closest to scoring the first goal, the ball was hit into the far post finding Scott Harris whose powerful header was just over the bar.

In the 60th min Smith picked the ball up inside the Ciren half and ran at the Slough defence. He then spotted Bennett advancing down the left sending an inch perfect ball into his run-path. Bennett made good headway seeing Collier running into the penalty area released the ball into him. Collier hit the shot on the turn only to see it find the side netting.

Minutes later it was Smith again instigating good passing movements with Davies who saw Collier move into position, the pass was good and Collier did well to strike at goal and agonizingly saw it fizz past the post.

Slough were by no means out of this and responded with a quick break of their own down the right with Wheeler crossing and Dyer meeting the ball head-on and should have done better as it whistled over the bar.

Slough were unlucky minutes later after a fine shot from Wheeler hit the stanchion. This game was similar to Sunday's, nothing given and everything to fight for.

At the other end Ciren had another chance after that man Smith sent in a cross which Collier met with perfect contact only to see his attempt skid past the far post.

Ciren took the lead in the 80th minute after a wonderful ball in from Ellis Dunton to the far post, Davies rose high and hammered a scorching header past Jake Somerville the Slough keeper to the delight of the Ciren supporters.

Ciren made two substitutions with Tim Bond on for Brad Hooper and Jody Bevan replacing Sam Collier.

Ciren could have made it two in the 80th min after a terrific run down the left from Bennett whose low cross into the goal area was merely inches from Bevan’s outstretched right foot which would surely have sealed the match with only ten minutes remaining!

It was now end-end stuff with Slough piling on the pressure. Ciren were struggling to clear and anything boot it up-field out for a throw-in would do, We needed that final whistle and it came in the ninety second minute, Phew’ we were through to the next round with a tie at Banbury.

This was Ciren’s first game of the season with keeping a clean sheet and it was a great team performance from the whole team and to be honest very difficult to pick a man-of-the-match but! Jon Beedon was outstanding and thoroughly deserved his Four Pillars Hotel Man of the Match award.

It has to be said that Slough Town put in two magnificent performances and it really could have gone either way.

Next game is at home on Saturday when we entertain Mangotsfield United and our ex-captain Jamie Reid.

Attendance: 122

Referee: Matthew Rushton

Cirencester Town:

1. Gly Garner
2. Shayne Anson (C) 
3. Ellis Dunton 
4. James Mortimer-Jones
5. Jon Beedon
6. Leigh Henry
7. Joe Shepherd
8. Brad Hooper
9. Sam Collier
10. Steve Davies
11. Lee Smith

12. Aidan Bennett (on for Joe Shepherd - 58 mins)
14. Tim Bond (on for Brad Hooper - 82 mins)
15. Jody Bevan (in for Same Collier - 83 mins)
16. Dean Bromley
17. Jack Smith

Slough Town:

1. Jake Somerville
2. Sean Fraser
3. Wes Harrison
4. Michael Blount
5. Dave Woodley (C)
6. Ben Edwards
7. Jonnie Dyer 
8. James McClurg
9. Scott Harris
10. Darren Wheeler
11. Ollie Burgess

12. Ryan Lane
14. Dominic Rhone
15. Aaron Couch
16. Ed Smith
17. James Hawtree (GK)
18. Sebastien Castell



Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2021