skip to content

Pre-Season Friendly

Cirencester Town 0 - 1 Forest Green Rovers

Match Report by Andy Buchan

Cirencester Town were facing another stern test taking on Forest Green Rovers at the Corinium Stadium the night after a tough game against the might of Swindon Town FC.
The previous night's match against Swindon Town was played in glorious conditions. However tonight's game could not have been more different, windy and overcast, however this did not detract from the prospect of another entertaining game in front of a healthy sized crowd.
FGR kicked off playing into the breeze towards the arena and had their first shot at goal in the 12th minute with a testing shot over the bar from Mango Vieira this was followed by another opportunity after a free kick from A Trialist was floated long into the box which Nathan Waters me, only to see his half volley attempt fly over the bar.
There were very few chances in the first 30 mins with Ciren competing well and giving FGR few chances with the two ''H's'' Henry & Holland sealing up the middle of the defence. The best move of the match came in the 30th min after a one-two between Waters and  Oshoddi, Waters made the overlap down the right after getting to the by-line he then sent in a perfect cross which evaded everyone in the box and finished up whistling past the far post.
Ciren were to have their first goal attempt in the 42nd min after Sam Collier hit a long range snap shot which nearly caught FGR keeper Paul White off guard, with this being his first real involvement in the game however he made a good low save.


Half Time 0-0

Ciren made three changes at half time brining on Davies, Dunton and Shepherd replacing Holland, Smith and Mortimer-Jones. Unfortunately Joe Shepherd's first involvement in the game was receiving a yellow card for a late tackle. This incident seemed to be the catalyst for the game becoming more of a crunch match instead of a friendly game with the FGR manager threatening the referee that unless he sorted it out he would pull his team of the pitch.

Ciren were looking lively at the start of the half, no more so than when Davies made a great run down the left and then sending in a tantalising ball which found Dean Bromley. His shot was cleared of the line and the danger was over for FGR.

Minutes later FGR should have scored with Glyn Garner well of his line, all Waters had to do was lob the ball into the net instead he took it too far and the chance was gone.

In the 60th min Ciren were awarded a free kick from 25 yards. Bromley chipped a neat ball over the defence for Collier who under pressure saw his shot edge past the post.

Ciren made another substitution in the 61st min with Bennett replacing Henry, Ciren had a throw in from the left which Dunton took. It was a mighty throw-in and took everyone by surprise, over the top of the keeper finding Collier at the back post whose shot narrowly missing at the front post.

The second half was being well fought with Ciren looking to be having more of the play and chances, so it was a bitter blow in the 66th minute when FGR took the lead after a scramble in the box with Ciren trying to clear the line the ball came out too Oshodi and from 12 yards he made no mistake burying the ball in the top left corner.

Ciren made two more substitutions with Tim Bond replacing the injured Jon Beedon and Brad Hooper on for Joe Shepherd. The game took a turn for the worse in the 76th minute after a challenge on Collier on the half way line which left him flattened. It all got out of hand with everyone pitching in. At one time it looked like the game would be abandoned but thankfully commonsense prevailed and the game continued with the FGR culprit being booked.

The rest of the game was played out to a finish with no further incidents and FGR running out victorious with a 1 nil win.

Apart from the few high spirited incidents which we all know happen in competitive sports such as footballm it was an enjoyable game watched by a crowd of 151.

It’s a devastating blow that we will probably miss the services this season of  Ben Wells (Merlin) and we all wish him well and a speedy recovery. On the bright side it was good seeing so many inspirational players we have at Cirencester this season and hopes are high for a successful 2013/14 campaign.

Reporters man-of-the-match: Shayne Anson.

Next game at home Tuesday night versus Gloucester City 7.45 kick off, it should be a cracker!

Attendance: 151

Cirencester Town: 
Garner, Anson (capt), Beeden (Bond, 73), Mortimer-Jones (Shepherd, 46; Hooper 75), Holland (Dunton, 46), Henry (Bennett, 63), Packer, Bromley, Collier, Smith (Davies, 46), Bumphrey.



Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2022