skip to content


Evo-Stik League Southern D1 S&W

Cirencester Town 1 - 1 Wimborne Town

Match Report by Andy Buchan

This was Cirencester Town's penultimate game of the season, welcoming Wimborne Town FC to the Corinium Stadium for this midweek, mid-table league match.

Cirencester had a few changes to the squad that travelled on Saturday to Bridgwater with Liam O’Brien making a start and three of the development team on the benchJack Smith, Ollie Pitt and Tom Jehu.

Ciren were quick out of the blocks and it was as early as the second minute that Aidan Bennett tested the Magpies keeper with a rasping long range shot that whistled over the bar. Minutes later O’Brien made a good tackle on the right, winning the ball and continuing his run down the wing, and then sending in a ball which found Scott Griffin who from 30 yards hit it on the half volley narrowly missing the far post.

Ciren’s next chance fell to James Mortimer-Jones which came from a corner, the ball was cleared as far as outside the box only for Mortimer-Jones to hit a thunderbolt on the volley which would have taken out the back of the net had it not hit a defender.

Ciren had the upper hand and it was in the 20th minute against the run of play that the Magpies took the lead. From a corner Steve Smith rose above the Ciren defenders and firmly headed into the top far corner.

As in most games this season Ben Wells was controlling the play in midfield, no more so than in the 31st minute when he robbed the ball in a good tackle from Jon Blake just inside the Magpies half. He made good speed down the left before laying the ball into Sam Collier who then laid it on for Bennett who hit a in-swinging cross to the far post which found Griffin, whose powerful header was cleared for a corner by a one handed save at the far post by keeper Jason Harvell.

Ciren evened the score line in the 40th minute when Griffin flicked the ball onto Shayne Anson who had overlapped down the right wing. His electrifying pace took him to the by-line, he crossed the perfect ball to the back post which was met on the run by Ben Wells whose header flew into the far corner of the net, giving the keeper no chance.


Half Time 1-1

Ciren came out in the second half as the first, straight out of the blocks, with Wells making one of his trade mark runs across the middle of the pitch over to the left and then squaring the ball into the path of O’Brien who hit a corker of a shot from 30 yards which beat the keeper and was only inches over the bar. Not to be outdone a similar chance fell to Griffin and from an equal distance he also saw his goal bound effort fizz over the bar. In the 59th min a ball was played into Griffin on the edge of the box and in one quick move on the turn, he hit a shot that beat the keeper and also the far post.

Ciren were looking very lively on this glorious spring evening in front of an appreciative crowd and were certainly playing the better football and always looking to be the likely winners.

Ciren made two changes in the 63rd minute bringing off Griffin and Collier for Shayne Bumphrey and Jack Smith. Bumphrey was quickly into action making a run on the left before splitting the defence with a ball into the danger area. Unfortunately there was no Ciren player to capitalise. Smith was also making his mark on the game after a good run took him down the right where he fed Joe Shepherd who sent in a piercing cross into the near post which the keeper did well to take.

In the 75th minute Cirencester had a corner which Wells sent in high. This was cleared as far as O’Brien who knocked it left to Wells whose high cross to the back post beat the keeper and two defenders and caught out Shepherd who did not expect the ball to get through to him.

Ciren had a great chance to clinch the match after another terrific run from Wells through midfield. He pushed a perfect ball into the path of Bumphrey who hit the ball first time from 12 yards only to see his shot rise over the bar.

Full Time 1-1

This was another fine Cirencester performance with Captain Shayne Anson who played by example doing an excellent skipper's job, the back four as of the past two months also excellent, midfield and up front great stuff and good to see the younger lads performing well in the senior team.

Next and last game of the season is this Saturday at home to Champions Poole Town. When we played them at their place we took a beating, but with the team we now have and the way we are playing it should be a different kettle of fish.! As champions they are bound to bring a lot of support so we need to try and match them and cheer our lads onto a glorious victory.

Attendance: 84

Referee: S Wales

Cirencester Town: 

1. Glyn Garner
2. Shayne Anson (C)
3. James Mortimer-Jones
4. Liam O'Brien
5. Leigh Henry
6. Jon Beedon
7. Joe Shepherd
8. Ben Wells
9. Sam Collier
10. Scott Griffin
11. Aidan Bennett

12. Shane Bumphrey (on for Sam Collier - 63 mins)
14. Jack Smith (on for Scott Griffin - 63 mins)
15. Ollie Pitt (on for 
16. Tom Jehu 


Wimborne Town:

1. Jason Harvell
2. Scott Arnold (C)
3. Billy Maybury 
4. Adam Costello 
5. Shaun Brian
6. Jon Blake
7. Aidan Sainsbury
8. Micky Hubbard
9. Matt Kemble
10. Steve Smith
11. Nathan Peprah-Annan

12. Jordan Cole 
14. George Webb
15. Paul Roast
16. Andy Battison
17. Dan Ackerman (GK)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2020