skip to content

Evo-Stik League Southern D1 S&W

Cirencester Town 0 - 0 Merthyr Town

Match Report by Andy Buchan

Cirencester Town welcomed Merthyr Town to the Corinium Stadium on a wet and windy afternoon for a clash between two teams in good current form.

Cirencester were having to make one change to the team with Jon Beedon in for the suspended Ellis Dunton.

In front of a 159 crowd Ciren were quickest off the mark and it was in the first minute that Ciren should have scored after a good ball in from Jon Beedon found Sam Collier unmarked but his headed attempt from 5 yards flew past the far post.

Ciren were quick to capitalise on this early attack and minutes later saw Shayne Bumphrey feed Collier who’s fierce shot was blocked. Brad Hooper followed in and hit a right footed shot just wide. James Mortimer-Jones made a good tackle robbing Matthew Harris of the ball and pushed it forward for Aiden Bennett who then tested the keeper out with a long distance shot which the keeper did well to smother.

In this first twenty minutes it was all Ciren who were making all the play however with continuous light rain and a swirling wind it was proving difficult to play good football and from this early stage in the game it could be seen that both teams would need to battle for every ball.

In the 21st min Bumphrey who went in for a 50-50 ball came out the worst and was stretchered off with a wound to the knee, Joe Shepherd came on and moved to the right with Bennett switching to the left.

Merthyr had a decent opportunity after a free kick into the box fell to Ryan Prosser whose shot was well saved by Glyn Garner who pushed it out for a corner kick. From the corner the ball was cleared and picked up by Mortimer-Jones and knocked the ball into Shepherd who miscued his shot from 12 yards.

Half Time. Cirencester 0-0 Merthyr.

The second half started with the wind having dropped and the rain easing off, however the pitch was wet and slippery. Merthyr were first to make a move after winning a free kick from which the ball found the head of Prosser only to see it miss outside the far post.

It was now Ciren’s turn for a free kick from just inside the halfway line. Ben Wells saw the keeper off his line and fired the ball goalwards, the keeper scrambled back only to see the ball fly past him narrowly missing the top corner of the bar.

Ciren had another great chance in the 79th minute when the ball fell to Wells on his left foot but his shot was deflected for a corner. From the Wells corner the ball came out of a congested goalmouth as far as Shepherd and his shot ended up wide of the post, Ciren were having good possession and keeping Merthyr on the back foot.

With ten minutes of normal play remaining, Merthyr upped their game and it was in the 82nd minute that Gary Preen made a speedy run down the left making for the box before Mortimer-Jones put in a tackle which the ref judged to be worthy of a free kick and a booking.

For the next 10 minutes Merthyr were having their best spell of the game putting the Cirencester defence under pressure from numerous corners. However our Welsh keeper Glyn Garner was more than up to the task against his fellow countrymen...!

Ciren had one last chance in the 91st minute when Shepherd in the goal area 8 yards out turned and fired a shot wide of the post. The referee blew for full time in the 97th minute with a final score line of 0-0.

In tough conditions, this was a fair result with no team deserving to lose. It was a real battle with both teams giving their all and was thoroughly enjoyed by a good sized crowd.

Cirencester’s good form has been attributed to a solid defence with constant vocal support from Garner between the sticks. This has created a good feeling spreading throughout the whole team and bodes well for the remainder of this season and next.

The Four Pillars Hotel Man-of-the-Match was awarded by the Match Sponsors, Jim Luce and our Under 16's squad, to Jon Beedon.

Recently we have had good support for our away games which certainly gives the players a lift, next game Bridgewater away Saturday the 20th April. See you all there.

Attendance: 159

Referee: Brian Durie

Cirencester Town:

1.  Glyn Garner
2.  Shayne Anson (C)
3.  Jon Beedon
4.  Chris Thompson
5.  Leigh Henry
6.  James Mortimer-jones
7.  Brad Hooper
8.  Ben Wells
9.  Sam Collier
10. Aidan Bennett
11. Shane Bumphrey

12. Scott Griffin
14. Joe Shepherd (on for Shane Bumphrey - 21 mins)
15. Kyle Pitts

Merthyr Town: 

1.  Giles Cutlan
2.  Jon Newall
3.  Alun Griffiths
4.  Jamie Rewbury (C)
5.  Gary Colbourne
6.  Matthew Harris
7.  Ryan Newman
8.  Kris Leek
9.  Ryan Prosser
10. Aaron Cormwall
11. Ian Traylor

12. Marcus Griffiths
14. Garyn Preen
15. Andrew Thomas
16. Luke Jones
17. Jack Howe

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2021