skip to content

Newsletter Sign up

Corinium Facilities

Centurion Football

Our Sponsors

  • Spire House
  • David M.Coe Financial Planning
  • Bluestone Insurance Services
  • Subway Cirencester
  • Networld Sports
  • Gardiner Haskins Cirencester
  • Statehouse Financial Advisors
  • Murfitts/PRO-gran
  • SpecSavers
  • Direct Business Solutions

Evo-Stik League Southern - D1 S&W

Bishops Cleeve   0 – 3   Cirencester Town

Match Report by Dave Pyzer  


Cirencester made the short journey to Bishops Cleeve for this midweek fixture to face a side in a good run of form having won two of their last four matches and losing narrowly to League leaders Poole - by a penalty.

There was a change to the Cirencester starting eleven with Ellis Dunton moving from left to right back in place of the absent Shayne Anson (working) and Jon Beeden taking the left back slot. Liam O’Brien came into the squad on the bench.

The visitors kicked off, on a very cold evening, towards the clubhouse into a cold, stiff breeze coming down from the snow capped escarpment on a very firm pitch and were soon under pressure from the home team.

Fortunately Cirencester were up to the challenge, following their lacklustre performance on Monday, and repelled the many high balls being pumped into the area with conviction.

Cirencester’s first attempt on the Cleeve goal came after four minutes when Ben Wells shot wide of the left post from just outside the penalty area after a six pass move down the left flank.

Cleeve responded with a right footed shot by Zac Katowica, who had cut inside from the left after receiving a cross field pass from the right wing, but his effort was blocked. A minute later Glyn Garner caught a cross from Cleeve’s left flank at full stretch and quickly threw the ball to Jon Beeden who made ground and started a move that reached Sam Collier who took on a right foot shot that was easily saved by James Nortei in the home goal.

In the 20th minute James Mortimer-Jones was in the right place and showed all his experience to clear another cross into the box when under considerable pressure.

Cirencester were under increasing pressure from Cleeve who had plenty of possession, with the wind behind them, but were often guilty of over hitting their passes and as a result the visitors had to rely on breakaways once they had won the ball - often deep in their own half.  Ciren were playing more controlled football in the second quarter having weathered the initial onslaught, keeping the ball on the deck with several multi pass moves.

Just after the half hour Aidan Bennett won a corner on the Cirencester right flank and Ben Wells kick was partially cleared from inside the 6 yard box to Sam Collier who promptly smashed it, left footed, from level with the penalty spot, left of centre, through a mass of players into the back of the net.   0-1

Cirencester were enjoying more possession as the half progressed, and Shayne Bumphrey took on a shot from the left that keeper Nortei once again saved comfortably.

Five minutes before the interval good play down the left resulted in a long cross from Bumphrey to Brad Hooper on the right who laid the ball back to the supporting Ellis Dunton who in turn slipped the ball inside to Ben Wells who shot wide of the left post from the edge of the penalty area.

Half Time:   0 – 1

Within four minutes of the restart Cirencester increased their lead following a ball to Bumphrey on the left who laid it back to Jon Beeden and he hit a very high ball into the Cleeve penalty area and as the defender attempted to clear it bounced higher than he expected causing him to handle.

Ben Wells stepped up and struck the ball inside the right post with the keeper moving in the opposite direction.    0-2

It was now Cleeve under pressure against the wind as Cirencester mounted attacks and from a right wing cross, following a move down the right flank between Bennett and Dunton, Leigh Henry rose to powerfully head towards goal where it struck Nortei, rebounding upwards before being caught at the second attempt.

Cleeve made their first substitution on the hour when former Cirencester player Scott Claridge replaced Lee Davis.

Just after the mid-point of the half Cleeve nearly reduced the arrears when Sam Avery crossed the ball from their right flank in to Jake Lee on the edge of the 6 yard box and his header was parried by Garner and caught at the second attempt.

Cleeve replaced the speedy Katowica with Stuart Midwinter after 71 minutes.

A minute later Henry took a free kick from just inside the Cleeve half, on the left, and drove the ball to the back post where Dunton had made a run to produce a powerful header that was blocked by a defender.

The home side came close to scoring when a Joe Parker effort ricocheted off a defender into the grateful arms of Garner.

Thirty three minutes into the half and Cirencester had possession on the left when Ben Wells intelligently switched play to the right where Dunton was in open space. Dunton made ground quickly into the box passing three defenders in the process before releasing the ball to Bennett whose cross was blocked.

Cleeve replaced Alex Hoyle with Ben Maguire in the 79th minute.

Cirencester further increased their lead with a free kick from Wells, 10 yards inside the Cleeve half - left of centre, to the far post where once again Ellis Dunton had made a strong run and this time his powerful header crashed into the top right corner of the net.

Seven minutes from time Cirencester then made their three substitutions with Scott Griffin, Sam Packer and Liam O’Brien replacing Sam Collier, Ben Wells and Brad Hooper.

The final effort from Cirencester came when the hard working Shane Bumphrey met a free kick from the right and hooked it towards goal where once again Nortei parried the ball, this time onto the bar, before catching it at the second attempt.

Final Score: 0 - 3


This was a much better performance from the team more reminiscent of recent form, suggesting Monday was a blip, with everyone playing their part and it will need to be repeated on Saturday as they travel to Paulton for what is sure to be a tough encounter.

The Team played well as the defence withstood the barrage of the first half with real determination, midfield worked tirelessly to win the ball and create opportunities whilst the forwards also worked hard to pose problems for Cleeve.

Attendance: 78

Referee:      M. Billigham - Stourbridge


Bishops Cleeve:

1.   James Nortei
2.   Alex Hoyle
3.   Mick Davis
4.   Lee Davis
5.   Sam Avery
6.   Michael Gonzalo
7.   Michael Tambling
8.   Michael Jackson   (C)
9.   Jake Lee
10.  Joe Parker
11.  Zac Katowica

12.  Stuart Midwinter      (Zac Katowica – 71 mins)
14.  Ben Macguire  (Alex Hoyle – 79 mins)
15.  Matt Rose
16.  Scott Claridge (Lee Davis – 60 mins)
17.  Steve Jones   


Cirencester Town:

1.   Glyn Garner
2.   Jon Beeden     
3.   Ellis Dunton
4.   Chris Thompson
5.   Leigh Henry
6.   James Mortimer-Jones
7.   Brad Hooper
8.   Ben Wells        (C)
9.   Sam Collier
10.  Aidan Bennett
11.  Shayne Bumphrey

12.  Scott Griffin  (Sam Collier - 83 mins)
14.  Sam Packer     (Ben Wells – 83 mins)
15.  Liam O’Brien    (Brad Hooper – 83 mins)

Cirencester Town FC © 2011 - 2023